Bartolo Colon fails drug test. subject to 50-game ban

Greg

So I'm wondering what the downside for Colon was in taking steroids. He was probably out of baseball without them, so he got to play an extra year and a half and make millions of dollars. A fifty game suspension really means nothing to a player like that since he would've gotten nothing without steroids.

It makes me think the available penalty is much too weak and that a lot of players will continue to cheat without harsher punishments.

They are going to continue to cheat anyway.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Whoa. Wonder how much this will affect the A's? Got to think our job just got marginally easier.

I doubt they miss him. They just got a pitcher back last night, so they will be fine in that regard. The O's just need to win their games, not count on others to fail.

Speaking of bad trade ideas. I remember the names of Smoak, who Jeff Sagarin currently ranks as the worst full time player in the majors (USA Today Sagarin ratings) and Chone Figgins, who is currently ranked below Flaherty in the part time players. (In hitters with relatively few at bats, #1 is Nolan Reimold and #3 is Machado.)

You'd think after the BALCO issues, the SF Bay Area teams would be better at this. Instead, 3 of the 4 players suspended this year come from SF and Oakland. If I was an mlb executive, I might start to ask some questions. Just saying....

sfosfan

I doubt they miss him.

Anytime you lose a solid starter, you miss him.

They just got a pitcher back last night, so they will be fine in that regard.

Well Anderson is a nice piece for them to have back but you can really never have enough pitching, although the A's certainly have a better supply than most teams.

The O's just need to win their games, not count on others to fail.

It's the same thing, isn't it? As far as games back goes. The less firepower the A's, Tigers, etc. have, the better. Always.

Archived