Red Sox Place Adrian Gonzalez On Trade Waivers

Greg

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's a thread on this in the MLB forum, but the short answer is...no, we can't just take him. The Red Sox are simply passing him through waivers to see if he would clear, just as every team does with every player this time of year. If Gonzalez were claimed, the Red Sox would simply pull him back.

I get that the Sox could pull him back but why do teams even do this? What is the benefit to the Sox doing this?

Think of it like the financial markets. They find out who is interested and, if they go to discussions, find out the player's perceived value outside the organization.

After this season only 1 of Bobby V versus Adrian/Dustin survive IMO. The Sox could be having the largest fire sale we have seen in a while.

Personally, I wouldn't have a fire sale for Bobby V but that is me. Does it need to happen? Probably, but they still won't win even with the fire sale with Bobby V as the manager.

After this season only 1 of Bobby V versus Adrian/Dustin survive IMO. The Sox could be having the largest fire sale we have seen in a while.

Personally, I wouldn't have a fire sale for Bobby V but that is me. Does it need to happen? Probably, but they still won't win even with the fire sale with Bobby V as the manager.

They cd have the fire sale (since certain negative elements are bound to remain negative) AND fire Valentine (b/c they can't get rid of every major player who dislikes him--wasn't the number reported 17 out of 25 players didn't want to play for him?).

Archived