Red Sox Place Adrian Gonzalez On Trade Waivers

Greg

I don't know if this deal makes the Red Sox better or not, but obviously Boston does. Why wouldn't the O's put a claim in on AGON or Beckett just to make the Sox pull them back off waivers? Why did the rest of the AL East allow these guys to clear? It just baffles me that you would allow a competitor to better themselves when you can stop it.

Because the Sox could just award the contract to the claiming team. We don't have the payroll flexibility for either, not that Boston probably would have moved him in the division.

I for one am happy that AG is gone. Wish the BoSox didn't get the payroll flexibility though.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They have new owner fever.

They also probably realize you can't take it with you. Money saved over 15 seasons plus interest on investments, I am thinking we could certainty can afford a higher payroll but I digress...

This is actually bad news for us. The Red Sox are in shambles this season and now they will have lots of flexibility to rebuild quickly.

I still think it is funny that Can of Corn thought $20M a year for AGon was nuts;) That is the going rate for a top-tier 1B, which he is. Good for the Dodgers and their fan base.

Just goes to show that you can trade ANYONE no matter how "bad" their contract is:T Hunter was traded, so was AROD ....and now Crawford,Beckett and AGOn go in the same deal.

One less excuse for the Orioles not to spend, but it wont stop them from using it

They also probably realize you can't take it with you. Money saved over 15 seasons plus interest on investments, I am thinking we could certainty can afford a higher payroll but I digress...

This is actually bad news for us. The Red Sox are in shambles this season and now they will have lots of flexibility to rebuild quickly.

I still think it is funny that Can of Corn thought $20M a year for AGon was nuts;) That is the going rate for a top-tier 1B, which he is. Good for the Dodgers and their fan base.

He's been a good hitter, but he hasn't shown $20M a year power in Boston. 27 HR last year, only 15 this year. When he got out of SD people thought the power explosion would happen. It hasn't. That's not the kind of player I want to pay 20M a year to for 7 years.

As far as payroll flexibility goes, it only helps if you do something smart with it. With restrictions on IFA and Rule 4, smart things to do with that money are few and far between. Hamilton and Greinke aren't really smart moves. In fact, they could put them right back to the same position.

Just goes to show that you can trade ANYONE no matter how "bad" their contract is:T Hunter was traded, so was AROD ....and now Crawford,Beckett and AGOn go in the same deal.

One less excuse for the Orioles not to spend, but it wont stop them from using it

It isn't an excuse. The Yankees and Dodgers have the ability to spend wildly and usually not get burned. Most teams don't have that luxury.

And when was Hunter traded?

He's been a good hitter, but he hasn't shown $20M a year power in Boston. 27 HR last year, only 15 this year. When he got out of SD people thought the power explosion would happen. It hasn't. That's not the kind of player I want to pay 20M a year to for 7 years.

As far as payroll flexibility goes, it only helps if you do something smart with it. With restrictions on IFA and Rule 4, smart things to do with that money are few and far between. Hamilton and Greinke aren't really smart moves. In fact, they could put them right back to the same position.

I wonder if there is any comparison between AGon and Headley (A.K.A-the chosen one):) ha ha. Good points on AGon, but there are worse contracts out there. I would take it, we have a huge hole at first that he would fill nicely.

Fenway was a bad fit. AGon has good power to right and right center. That's death valley in freeway. The green monster hurt AGon, and if you don't think so, look at his drastic rise in doubles since going the so. Balls that usually went into the stands, were bouncing off the wall. Camden Yards would have been a perfect park for AGon.

Archived