Rick Dempsey's Hyperbole-of-the-Night

Catch 8

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ummm, Chris Davis has as much power as anyone in the game right now. I really don't see the hyperbole in that statement. Now, he has some holes in the swing, comparing him to Mike Schmidt is ignorant, and he needs to grow as a hitter to be sure. But raw power?? The guy is off the charts.

Dempsey might be right about Davis' power. But there should be a rule that when you say stuff like that you need to include the caveat that he has plate discipline that would make Tony Batista blush, and his glove is a combination of Dave Kingman and Dick Stuart. He implies (or for all I know outright says) that Davis is Roger Maris, but he's actually Sam Horn.

Dempsey should be a campaign manager. He has a special knack for completely ignoring or denying his guy's container ship load of negatives.

Dempsey might be right about Davis' power. But there should be a rule that when you say stuff like that you need to include the caveat that he has plate discipline that would make Tony Batista blush, and his glove is a combination of Dave Kingman and Dick Stuart. He implies (or for all I know outright says) that Davis is Roger Maris, but he's actually Sam Horn.

Dempsey should be a campaign manager. He has a special knack for completely ignoring or denying his guy's container ship load of negatives.

Well, Hamilton hasn't won a game as a pitcher AND hit three homers in a game all in the same season. An accomplishment shared with only two other players..Jim Tobin and some guy named Ruth :)

Guest rochester
Well, Hamilton hasn't won a game as a pitcher AND hit three homers in a game all in the same season. An accomplishment shared with only two other players..Jim Tobin and some guy named Ruth :)

Ruth pffft.. what a bum. Davis has a better sinker than Ruth.

The longest home run Chris Davis has hit this year went 437 feet. His average distance is 402.5 feet on his homers. By comparison, Hamilton's longest was 469 feet. He has also hit 6 homers longer than Davis' longest. His average home run distance is 414 feet.

The longest home run Chris Davis has hit this year went 437 feet. His average distance is 402.5 feet on his homers. By comparison, Hamilton's longest was 469 feet. He has also hit 6 homers longer than Davis' longest. His average home run distance is 414 feet.

Meaningless on the power scale. Hamilton is a much better hitter, Davis has real contact issues and hits 400 foot chip shots. Davis can pull slow stuff, but if he could square the hard stuff and really get into it, his distances would be right there. I don't think I've ever seen him really turn on something 95+.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

After Britton gave up a walk and single in the 7th. Not exact quote but "The good thing about Buck is he'll let you work out of situations." *Buck comes out immediately and changes pitcher*

I wonder where Mike Bordick was last night.

He said JJ Johnson has the best sinker since Hershiser. He also said Davis has as much or more power than Josh Hamilton.

That is just tonight

Maybe it's because I am not in living over there, but I love listening to this stuff- very amusing.

But, did I misread this quote? Sounds like some think it's obvious that Hamilton has more power than Davis? Davis may certainly not hit as MANY homers, but I do think he's one of the most powerful hitters I've seen. Even when he barely swings the ball it flies. Davis is the only person I've ever seen who hit a broken-bat home run. I'm not saying Davis has Bonds or McGwire power, but certainly more than most.

While I'm on that topic, I hope Wieters learns how to use his power like Chris. Matt's ball can really jump off his bat, and if he could ever learn to not kick up his front leg (like Chris Davis, Barry Bonds, etc), he'd hit better. Matt is strong enough to let just his bat do the work. Just my $0.02.

sfosfan

I hate that he says "we" about the team as he does color.

Now that you mention it, agreed. Definitely too much of a Homer. I also notice that Rick never suffers from a lack of things to say. Makes me feel some real empathy for Earl Weaver, with Jim and Rick in that dugout for so long. ;)

sfosfan

Archived