Rick Dempsey's Hyperbole-of-the-Night

Catch 8

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes. His quote earlier in the year was that he needed one very minor tweak and he would hit 60 homers.

I don't know about the tweak Dempsey was talking about but if Davis he got his FB rate (currently 37%) up to around 45-47% he might actually have a shot at 60 HR's with everyday playing time.

Yes. His quote earlier in the year was that he needed one very minor tweak and he would hit 60 homers.

There's no reason to think that with a complete season of production similar to what he's done over the past week that Chris Davis couldn't hit atleast 60 homers.

There's no reason to think that with a complete season of production similar to what he's done over the past week that Chris Davis couldn't hit atleast 60 homers.

I hope you're exaggerating for effect. Because there's ZERO reason to think that a 26-year-old with a .776 career OPS and a 5:1 K:BB ratio is going to OPS 1.500 over any extended period. Babe Ruth never had a season within 150 points of Davis' OPS over the past week. On the other hand, David Newhan once OPS'd 1.500 over a week (happened to be his first week with the Orioles).

I hope you're exaggerating for effect. Because there's ZERO reason to think that a 26-year-old with a .776 career OPS and a 5:1 K:BB ratio is going to OPS 1.500 over any extended period. Babe Ruth never had a season within 150 points of Davis' OPS over the past week. On the other hand, David Newhan once OPS'd 1.500 over a week (happened to be his first week with the Orioles).

C'mon, Drungo, if he kept up his pace of the last 5 games over all 162 he would hit 194 home runs. That's just math. ;)

I think we now know who the Dempsey fans are. ;)

Sure, just give Chris Davis 600 at bats and he'll pop you out 60 homers. Clearly this home run streak shows that! ;)

In all seriousness, Davis is red-hot and just cemented himself as part of the core around here with his season.

I think we now know who the Dempsey fans are. ;)

Sure, just give Chris Davis 600 at bats and he'll pop you out 60 homers. Clearly this home run streak shows that! ;)

In all seriousness, Davis is red-hot and just cemented himself as part of the core around here with his season.

Ehh, I don't know about "sure" he'd put up 60hrs with 600 AB's, but right now he's putting one of every 4 flyballs (this year) into the the outfield stands (25%). That's Barry Bonds career rate. Chris Davis is only putting up a fyball rate of 37% this year. That's very low as compared to guys like Bonds, Reynolds and other sluggers who normally rate around 8-10% higher. He gets that FB rate up and even marginally reduces his K rate that could be a lot of HR's.

You still really believe Dempsey wasn't exaggerating for effect?

Archived