The case for Reynolds in 2013

Scrat1

I strongly disagree with the notion that Betemit was a mistake. He was brought in to DH vs RHPs and be an occasional backup CIF.

I'll concede to you on his defense. He may be the worst fielder at the hot corner that I've ever seen. Way worse than Reynolds. He looks like he has no grasp of the fundamentals of the position, which is hard to believe. I think it was Nicky Delmonico who earlier this year said "Defense is just a matter of pride". Obviously, that's an overgeneralization because you have to have the necessary physical attributes, but Betemit clearly doesn't take pride in his defense.

But I still say the signing has been a success. He was brought in under the false assumption that Reynolds was going to turn his defense around this year. He wasn't supposed to be an everyday player, or a position player in general really. He was supposed to step into the lineup and rake vs RHPs. And he has absolutely raked this whole year vs rightys. OPS of .873 and wOBA of .374 speak for themselves. I would love to have him back next year, doing what he should have been doing this year. DHing vs RHPs, and ONLY THAT.

But if you keep Reynolds, then where do you put Davis vs RHP? He's a lefty too. Please don't say LF.

Wouldn't mind seeing a Reynolds/Betemit platoon at 1B split about 50/50 with Reynolds occasionally playing vs weak RHP.

My gut tells me Betemit will be the odd man out if they somehow keep Reynolds. Which is a shame b/c I've liked his bat this year and he practically carried the offense through much of June/early July when Markakis was out.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A couple things to consider when discussing Mark Reynolds. His power numbers are down, but he has only played in 99 of the Orioles 126 games, which means about 100 fewer AB's. Something interesting is that his K rate is considerably lower then in past years. Has he been working with Presley on adjusting his swing? Plus, he lost weight in the off-season and he is learning a new position.

I think all this sets up big numbers for Reynolds next year

I agree. And think if we pass on him, we'll wish we hadn't. The money is subjective somewhat, I'd give him $8M for 2-3 years.

But if you keep Reynolds, then where do you put Davis vs RHP? He's a lefty too. Please don't say LF.

Wouldn't mind seeing a Reynolds/Betemit platoon at 1B split about 50/50 with Reynolds occasionally playing vs weak RHP.

My gut tells me Betemit will be the odd man out if they somehow keep Reynolds. Which is a shame b/c I've liked his bat this year and he practically carried the offense through much of June/early July when Markakis was out.

I don't know. It's a tough situation. Earlier I advocated for moving Davis altogether and just letting Reynolds play first every day. Get another Jim Thome/Nick Johnson type of guy to platoon with Wilson.

If you keep all three of Reynolds, Davis, and Betemit you're taking up as lot of spots on the bench, but as we have seen with Davis he can fill in when asked to in the OF. Conceivably you would have a platoon with Reynolds playing 1B vs LHP and Davis and Betemit in the lineup vs RHP. I think Davis can play better than he has this year at 1B but they could make that decision out of ST.

Your bench would then be a Flaherty type, Teagarden type, Davis, and I'll say Reimold for now. You only get four remember if you have seven in the pen and five starters. I don't know what McLouth's contract status is and I bet they give Avery or Hoes a shot out of ST. Maybe not a good one, but a shot.

Which only goes to show you that OBP is the hipster stat du jour, and not necessarily reflective of a player's greatness. Listen, I like guys who get on base, too. but I'd rather have them getting on base with hits than walks, that's for sure.

Thank you!!!!! It's nice to know I'm not alone in this. Great description, hip stat du jour

Thank you!!!!! It's nice to know I'm not alone in this. Great description, hip stat du jour

To be clear, is it your opinion that batting average does a better job of reflecting the talent of the hitter than OBP? Because that is just a false statement.

I can give you dozens of reasons why, but the fact that there is a significantly higher correlation between Team Wins and Team OBP than Team Wins and Team AVG should be enough.

I think we all agree that we prefer the player who has a .290BA w/ a .350OBP to the guy who has a .230BA w/ the same .350OBP.

But compare a guy who has a .290BA w/ a .310OBP to the same guy who has a .230BA and a .350OBP...

Give me the guy with the higher OBP all day.

To be clear, is it your opinion that batting average does a better job of reflecting the talent of the hitter than OBP? Because that is just a false statement.

I can give you dozens of reasons why, but the fact that there is a significantly higher correlation between Team Wins and Team OBP than Team Wins and Team AVG should be enough.

No. I'm simply saying that ignoring a .219 average and solely looking at obp as a measure if value is a mistake. I'm saying that obp is not the be all and end all that some people make it out to be

Which only goes to show you that OBP is the hipster stat du jour, and not necessarily reflective of a player's greatness. Listen, I like guys who get on base, too. but I'd rather have them getting on base with hits than walks, that's for sure.

Pretty sure the hipsters moved on to wOBA in '10.

Joe Mahoney is not an everyday player in the majors in any way, shape, or form. He's more likely to be removed from the 40-man roster than he is to be the Orioles' starting first baseman in 2013. I'm not sure that Mark Reynolds is the best option for starting 1B next year, but I'm sure that Joe Mahoney isn't.
Right, like you I'm unsure that Reynolds is the answer going forward, but I'm certain that Mahoney isn't. More likely he ends his career retiring in AAA for some organization.
Reynolds has played very well defensively at 1st IMO. For the right price at something less than $5M I say bring him back unless we find a better option elsewhere. He can be a very dangerous hitter, maintains a decent OBP and might have a few slugger seasons left in him.

Mark has a unique skill set that is hard to replicate with a guy who has never show success in the majors at an advanced age. You can dispose of Reynolds if you wish, but replacing what he has done over the last two season (aside from playing third base) may be more difficult than it appears.

I've met you. You're picture is in the dictionary next to the word hipster.

I heard that, too, CA. Someone said you wear skinny jeans and nerd-chic glasses, and somewhat resemble Beck. Don't deny it. :)

My point is, OBP may correlate to this or that statistically... But for us philistines, batting average still counts for somethin'. And I consider Mark's low batting average a negative. All things being equal, I'd rather have a hit than a walk.

No. I'm simply saying that ignoring a .219 average and solely looking at obp as a measure if value is a mistake. I'm saying that obp is not the be all and end all that some people make it out to be

To be clear, viz Luis's point. I'm not saying that batting average does a better job of reflecting the talent of a hitter than OBP, necessarily. I'm saying, all things being equal, I would prefer that on-base percentage be made up of more hits and less walks. So really what I'm saying is that I like hits better than walks.

To be clear, viz Luis's point. I'm not saying that batting average does a better job of reflecting the talent of a hitter than OBP, necessarily. I'm saying, all things being equal, I would prefer that on-base percentage be made up of more hits and less walks. So really what I'm saying is that I like hits better than walks.

Well, since a hit is more valuable than a walk, I don't think you're providing anything enlightening here.

Archived