The case for Reynolds in 2013

Scrat1

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Which only goes to show you that OBP is the hipster stat du jour, and not necessarily reflective of a player's greatness. Listen, I like guys who get on base, too. but I'd rather have them getting on base with hits than walks, that's for sure.

I don't think anybody has suggested that OBP is the best measure of a hitter. As a single measure, it is better than BA, and it is better than SLG. But a stat like wOBA that properly weights walks, singles and the various flavors of extra base hits is far superior to OBP.

A walk is worth a little less than a single, because a single will almost always advance runners by 1-2 bases, whereas a walk will advance runner by 0-1 base, depending on whether first base is open.

Right now, Reynolds has an OBP of .339 and a wOBA of .322. wOBA is scaled to look like OBP, so this shows that Reynolds' OBP overstates his offensive value.

Orioles' wOBA leaders among players with 200 PA:

Jones .361

Markakis .356

Betemit .326

Davis .324

Reynolds .322

Wieters .317

Hardy .285

Andino .260

I think there are a host of candidates not really mentioned yet.

Texas just promoted Olt and already has Beltre at 3B. Perhaps Olt or, more likely, Mooreland become available.

We'll see what ChiCubs do between their 1B.

The cost/production for Reynolds for 2012 looks easily beatable IMO.

Perhaps when all the candidates are known along with the cost of acquistion, Reynolds will emerge as a retention candidate with comeback potential if he would settle for something south of $8M, but I hope our FO considers it a top priority this offseason to improve 1B production this year.

]I don't think anybody has suggested that OBP is the best measure of a hitter.[/b] As a single measure' date=' it is better than BA, and it is better than SLG. But a stat like wOBA that properly weights walks, singles and the various flavors of extra base hits is far superior to OBP.

A walk is worth a little less than a single, because a single will almost always advance runners by 1-2 bases, whereas a walk will advance runner by 0-1 base, depending on whether first base is open.

Right now, Reynolds has an OBP of .339 and a wOBA of .322. wOBA is scaled to look like OBP, so this shows that Reynolds' OBP overstates his offensive value.

Orioles' wOBA leaders among players with 200 PA:

Jones .361

Markakis .356

Betemit .326

Davis .324

Reynolds .322

Wieters .317

Hardy .285

Andino .260[/quote']

No, not as a hitter, as a player. There's been plenty of Reynolds bashing on here and I've banged on him myself from time to time. He does hold value and he has improved defensively, however. Anyone who doesn't recognize that has an axe to grind.

The wOBA is a better stat. I can remember my Dad showing me and my brothers the value of OBP in the 70's when we were learning the game, but I admit since joining the board I've been more educated through the discussions here.

And just to be clear, my comment regarding CAORIOLE was clearly a joke between a friend who I almost always agree with and definitely in this case.

Archived