Who is your Orioles MVP this year?

Moose Milligan

Thanks Ghandi. You're right, we should remove arguments and disagreements from the board - or maybe I'll start a thread titled "Argue about Most Valuable Oriole Here" so we'll all have a safe place for this sorta discourse.

I think the shoe shine guy and the ball girls are MVP's.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So if it Darren O'day was working the 9th instead of the 6th/7th you'd be willing to call him the MVO? JJ gets it simply because he gets to pitch the last inning of the game?

Really not trying to bicker about this. I really understand/appreciate JJ's value. Just wouldn't be my MVO. Probably in my top 5 however.

I have very, very serious doubts that O'Day, or anyone else on this team, would have converted 40/43 save opportunities.

Yes, the fact that Johnson does it in the 9th makes a difference. Maybe O'Day or Strop could do it, but it is not a fact that if you just switched their innings they would still be as effective. Remember Johnson was a great 8th-inning guy, and he struggled when he first moved to the closer role.

It is hard to pick one player that we could not live without. What if Chen went on the DL instead of Hammel? Would the situation be any different? JJ has been very consistently good all year, so he is definitely deserving. Also Jones has been good all year as well. It will be close which of those two and Chen get the honors.

On a side note, enough can not be said about the two second half MVP's. In my opinion that would be Nick, and Tillman. Both have been important in the second half, but where would this team be without the "new and improved" Tillman?

I know it sounds corny, but it really has been a 100% team effort all year. When I think back to some of the teams in the 80's and 90's I feel as proud of this team as some of those teams with great players. It really is a great time to be an O's fan. I can't wait to finally get up there this year and takes my kids.

I think it's Chen at this point. I could see it end up being any one of Jones, Chen, or Johnson. Maybe Wieters or Markakis with a very hot September.

One encouraging thing about this season is that the Orioles have accumulated a 70-57 record and yet there isn't really anyone on the roster that you can say is performing over their head, except for Strop.

That isn't the point I was making. How can JJ be the MVP when Strop could give you close to the same performance if he was in the same role?

Johnson to me has been a fine bullpen arm this season but so have a number of other guys, he shouldn't be the MVP solely based on the roles assigned by Buck.

If you eliminate saves from the equation what is there about JJ's numbers that elevate him from the rest of the bullpen?

Johnson has had 38 shutdowns, 3 meltdowns.

Strop: 23/8. Even accounting for the fact that Strop in the 9th inning would have secured more shutdowns due to higher leverage, that's still 5 more games that would have been blown.

Obviously you can ask yourself whether Johnson's numbers are repeatable, but still he's been the definition of shutdown. Only Rodney in the AL has been better.

My vote is slightly for Johnson as well, even though I normally wouldn't consider a reliever as an MVP or MVO. I'm certainly not discounting Chen's importance, or AJ's leadership, or Weiter's defensive genius. I'm also not saying that Strop couldn't repeat JJ's performance if he ever became the closer (no one knows until it actually happens), but this team clearly doesn't have the huge feared bat, or dominant ace leading the team. It's a collection of so-called "underachieved prospects" or journeymen all rotating game saving roles. If there ever was a time or team that had an MVP as a closer, the 2012 O's are it. I will say that without Strop's brilliance, JJ's saves clearly wouldn't be as high. However the same can be said with most MVP's. Not giving JJ the MVO BECAUSE you think Strop could do as good a job as JJ is like saying Tom Brady doesn't deserve his MVP's because Peyton Manning would've done just as good a job if he played in New England. It's not a relevant argument. Today JJ is the closer and he is performing better than anyone would've hoped. Maybe he gets traded and Strop is handed the role in 2013? Maybe we find out that Strop can save 60 games without giving up a run. Then it will be his turn to be MVO, and it doesn't take anything away from what JJ has accomplished so far this year. As of today I tentatively believe JJ is the most valuable player. A strong September by AJ, or Markakis could wing my vote

Call me old-school or stubborn but I do believe pitching the 9th inning is more difficult than the 6th. I do believe the last out of the game is the most difficult to collect. I think saves are still a legitimate stat as long as teams/managers continue to designate closers as the 9th inning guy. If more teams start using the closer by committee approach and it is successful I may change my opinion, but until then I will always feel the 27th out is the most difficult to get.

That's fine. I think this team would be worse without Chen then they would be without JJ. That is all.

No problems there at all. I think Chen is a fine choice and certainly an argument can be made for him.

One last point, though - I don't think you can hold it against Johnson that we happen to have other guys in the bullpen that have had really good years this year. I don't necessarily disagree that Chen would be more difficult to replace, but that is because our rotation is held together by bubble gum and band-aids whereas the the bullpen is deep and talented.

It will probably end up being Adam Jones. I wouldn't necessarily have an issue with that but a case could be made for Chen, who has been pretty consistent all year long. If it weren't up to me, I would probably give it to the combo of Strop/Johnson.

Archived