Dan Haren Traded to Dbacks--When is Bedard Going??

micahl69

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
BA:

1. Carlos Gonzalez, of

2. Jarrod Parker, rhp

3. Brett Anderson, lhp

4. Max Scherzer, rhp

5. Gerardo Parra, of

6. Emilio Bonifacio, 2b/ss

7. Aaron Cunningham, of

8. Chris Carter, 1b

9. Reynaldo Navarro, ss

10. Barry Enright, rhp

Wow. Granted, ARI's system isn't nearly as strong as the Dodgers' or Reds'. This is great news for us.

Giving up 4 of their top 10 prospects PLUS 2 solid pitchers. That makes a Bruce/Bailey or Kemp/Kershaw deal sound CHEAP.

Connor Robertson wasn't on the A's 2006 top 10, but he isn't chopped liver by any means. Looks like he should be a pretty good reliever. Lifetime MiL K rate of almost 12 and BB rate under 4 with an excellent HR ratio as well.

That said, still looks like a good haul for Oakland.

And this is why McPhail has his poker face on.

I agree, but when do have you waited too long. When is that you've held onto that pocket Ace too long. There's only certain teams that are willing to give up these players. Most teams are hesitant to do so.

I don't think MacPhail has waited too long yet, but it's getting close to that point, IMO.

To be fair, Carlos Gonzalez had become rather expendable within the organization and, despite how many other prospects were involved, the deal really is centered around him. With an outfield of Byrnes, Justin Upton, and Chris Young, there really isn't room for Gonzalez going forward.

With the exception of Hu, none of the prospects we want from the Dodgers are really blocked by other talent. The worst outfielder out of the major 4 Dodgers outfield candidates is Pierre, whereas Gonzalez is definitely the worst option of the primary 4 Diamondbacks outfield candidates. This example is even more evident for the Reds, who would need to trade several of their primary longterm solutions at various positions to pick up Bedard.

This will make quite a bit of a difference, I think, regardless of what the trade market now is for ace starting pitchers. It does make a trade of Bedard to the Dodgers more of a potential necessity, but I still don't think the Dodgers will lay down and let us have our way with them, which I guess some might immediately think after seeing this trade.

Wow.. I think Tim Kurkijan had a brain fart.. First he referred to Haren as the 2nd best pitcher on the market behind Santana (a judgement call.. I'll let that slide).. but then he stated that Santana is now the ONLY non-FA ace starting pitcher available. Say wha?

I really like Brett Anderson and Aaron Cunningham. Both were sorta under the radar last year, but really elevated their prospect status. I was never really that high on Gonzalez, but he is clearly a top talent. Smith looks like a guy who gets ground balls and has plus control, but he might be better suited for the bullpen. Eveland has always been a guy with really impressive minor league stats, but that hasn't translated to the majors yet. And Carter is a very solid, power-hitting first-base prospect.

Basically 6 guys, 4 of whom are still 1 - 3 years from the majors and 2 others that should be able to be put into a role next year. This puts a bit more pressure on the Dodgers to get something done.

And I think this would be the equivalent to dealing 3 MLB-ready players for Bedard or 2 MLB-ready players and 2 top young talents at the lower levels.

Wow.. I think Tim Kurkijan had a brain fart.. First he referred to Haren as the 2nd best pitcher on the market behind Santana (a judgement call.. I'll let that slide).. but then he stated that Santana is now the ONLY non-FA ace starting pitcher available. Say wha?
He's been saying over and over he doesn't think Bedard gets traded. I don't think he considers Bedard to be "on the market."

Wow, did anyone just hear Tim Kurkjian? He basically said that now that Haren is gone, the only impact starting pitcher left on the market is Johan Santana. I mean, I guess it's debatable whether Haren is better than Bedard, but they are at least in the same conversation. What a joke.

I believe he is one of the guys I have heard say that he doesn't think Bedard will be dealt at all. So he is probably not including him.

Wow, did anyone just hear Tim Kurkjian? He basically said that now that Haren is gone, the only impact starting pitcher left on the market is Johan Santana. I mean, I guess it's debatable whether Haren is better than Bedard, but they are at least in the same conversation. What a joke.

Hahaha, nice. Couldn't have said it better myself ;)

Thanks for the clarification UMterp.. although I still don't think its the best reporting to just neglect a widely discussed trade piece because of your opinion that a deal won't get done.

I agree, but when do have you waited too long. When is that you've held onto that pocket Ace too long. There's only certain teams that are willing to give up these players. Most teams are hesitant to do so.

I don't think MacPhail has waited too long yet, but it's getting close to that point, IMO.

If by close you mean "before the season starts." Yeah. But by sitting on it this long, he can now angle for even more premium on the return.

Archived