ESPN inks 8 year $5.6 Billion deal with MLB

Can_of_corn

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Morning-Buzz/2012/08/28/ESPN-MLB.aspx

The eight-year deal is worth $5.6B (an average of $700M per year), approximately doubling the nearly $306M ESPN currently pays MLB every year for domestic TV rights. The new deal adds in digital, international and radio, for which ESPN is paying MLB around $50M currently, sources said.

Each teams share should go from around 10 million to over 20 million.

Who watched ESPN baseball? I'm shocked that they think they can make money this way. I watch MASN and then I watch the MLB network. That's it.

Can they afford to not offer baseball? It still seems like an overpay, I can't imagine another player coming in and taking over that package of games at anywhere near that money.

I wonder if it's less about the games and more about the ad revenue they get from it (since people won't skip commercials during live games.) Also worth it to keep Comcast/NBC Sports Network from getting it and helping to establish itself as a rival network to ESPN.

I really wish games would move away from ESPN and Fox though. It's like they're trying to do poor coverage on purpose.

I wonder if it's less about the games and more about the ad revenue they get from it (since people won't skip commercials during live games.) Also worth it to keep Comcast/NBC Sports Network from getting it and helping to establish itself as a rival network to ESPN.

I really wish games would move away from ESPN and Fox though. It's like they're trying to do poor coverage on purpose.

I think it has more to do with maintaining leverage over cable providers.

Who watched ESPN baseball? I'm shocked that they think they can make money this way. I watch MASN and then I watch the MLB network. That's it.

I will watch it in the rare times that an Orioles game is covered. I really don't ever get to watch TV, but once in awhile I watch Baseball Tonight because I have never gotten MLB Network. I get most of my coverage online, which usually ends up being ESPN.com.

The coverage is awful though. MASN is actually really good for a regional production.

Can they afford to not offer baseball? It still seems like an overpay, I can't imagine another player coming in and taking over that package of games at anywhere near that money.

No Olympics, No Baseball, No Sports Network. They had plenty of unspent Olympic money.

Where does all of this money go? Hopefully an equal amount to each team?

ESPN also picked up rights to carry games featuring more popular teams, like the Yankees and Red Sox, more frequently.

Because they don't show enough of the Yankees and Red Sox..

This certainly explains a lot! The Yankees and Red Sox basically have a joint network now. Ensured of a solid fan base and more riches no matter how bad they get.

Agreed with this. I never watch ESPN unless it's college or NFL football...or MASN switches over to ESPNews. I can't really stand baseball on Fox because I don't like McCarver and everything is on too loud on their broadcasts. It's like they have 100,000 mics all over the field...it just all sounds pumped in from the studio to enhance the ambiance.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Gametime:  7:05 pm Forecast:  61 degrees, no precipitation Matchup:  Jordan Lyles (R) vs Domingo German (R) Lineups 1. Cedric Mullins (L) CF 2. Adley Rutschman (S) C 3. Anthony Santander (S) RF 4. Ryan Mountcastle (R) 1B 5. Gunnar Henderson (L) 3B 6. Terrin Vavra (L) 2B 7. Austin Hays (R) LF 8. Kyle Stowers (L) DH 9. Jorge Mateo (R) SS   1. Aaron Judge (R) RF 2. Anthony Rizzo (L) 1B 3. Gleyber Torres (R) 2B 4. Giancarlo Stanton (R) DH 5. DJ LeMahieu (R) 3B 6. Oswaldo Cabrera (S) LF 7. Harrison Bader (R) CF 8. Isiah Kiner-Falefa (R) SS 9. Jose Trevino (R) C Orioles Bench Jesus Aguilar (R) Robinson Chirinos (R) Ryan McKenna (R) Rougned Odor (L) Tyler Nevin (R)   Bullpen Availability Available Felix Bautista  1.1 IP, 33p Saturday Beau Sulser  3.1 IP, 52p last Wednesday (9/21) DL Hall (L)  2.0 IP, 34p Tuesday  Probably Available Bryan Baker  1.0 IP, 13p yesterday;  1.0 IP, 15p Tuesday  Logan Gillaspie 1.0 IP, 14p yesterday;  2.2 IP, 29p Monday Maybe Available Dillon Tate  1.0 IP, 22p yesterday;  1.0 IP, 8p Tuesday  Probably Not Available Keegan Akin 3.0 IP, 37p Wednesday Cionel Perez (L)  1.0 IP, 26p yesterday;  1.0 IP, 18p Tuesday  Spenser Watkins 4.1 IP, 82p Monday
    • On the surface, no it wouldn't be, and framing the argument this way makes what I said seem ridiculous.  But please hear me out... I'm not advocating walking these guys on 100% of their plate appearances.  When the situation is favorable to us (for example: bases empty, two outs, he can't tie the game by himself in this at bat, that type of low-leverage scenario), we're still going to pitch to him, because the damage potential is as minimal as it can be.  I think what I'm really trying to stress is the concept of BURST damage potential these guys always crush us with when we pitch to them at the wrong times.  So many times, the hottest hitter in MLB waltzes up to the plate with a couple of guys on... and we don't point to first and make his slumping or neutral teammate on-deck beat us; we pitch to stupidly-locked-in guy, and two minutes later, we're down three runs in the blink of an eye. It reminds me a lot of playing online games competitively against other players.  There are people playing the character who does lots of damage, but spread out over time or among many of his opponents.  And that's the guy you tend to pick fights with... he could hurt you, but you are likely to survive if you outplay him.  But then you see the guy playing the character who does a lot of damage at once in a focused burst if he happens to hit who he's firing at.  And you stay away from that guy when you see him, because if he hits you with a shot, you're just DEAD. This scenario with pitching to the red-hot hitter feels like the baseball equivalent of that. 
    • It’s John’s wife..and she does. But they were never moving the team.
    • Loosely counting the Mets-Braves loser in this, deGrom-Fried alongside Alcantara-Burnes is quite a pair of Friday night matchups. MIL has worked Burnes harder this year - 14 starts on 4-days rest, 14 on 5-days, and 3 other YTD. Last year only 2 of his 28 starts were on 4 days rest. Brandon Woodruff turns on 4 days rest, 7 out of 26 this year, a smaller increase above last year's 2 out of 30.
    • I don't think we saw Hall at his best.  That may seem obvious but he was said to occasionally hit triple digits as a starter and I think I saw him mostly topping out at 97 (maybe 98) as a reliever.    I'm not trading Hall unless I'm getting a young starter back.  I mentioned Nick Lodolo months ago so that's the type of arm I'd package Hall and others for.    I still think the best option is just to sign a very good starter in FA and hold onto the prospects a bit longer.    I can still see Stowers, Cowser, Westburg, Ortiz, and Norby all being part of next year's team at some point.    I could see one of Westburg/Ortiz/Norby going in a deal but that might not be until next July.
    • I think he was cash poor and was hoping for a sale of the Orioles to cash in.   Instead his mother and brother are holding out on selling till Peter is dead.   I think Lou is trying to force their hands.  
    • For what it's worth, I don't think anything less than a package around Holliday will get it done.   Are we in a 'win now' mode?  If this is the only goal, I can see a trade with a Holliday package. Or a 'build a perennial contender' mode?  If this is the bigger goal (and it's been stated), then no way the O's trade with a Holliday package.  We will be stacking talent at the bottom of the conveyer belt for the foreseeable future.  Not trading away top tier talent before it gets to the MLB. Anything in a tier below is likely part of the discussion.  Hall and Mayo get dicey for me because I'm a sucker for controllable upside.  But Hall is a better fit trading pitching for pitching.  Brewers made out pretty well on the Hader trade, so maybe they'll consider a package around Hall.
  • Popular Contributors