Anyone worried about Machado's bat?

Mashed Potatoes

The defense itself has been worth the price of admission at some games, he's been that good in my opinion. He's 19 years old and the kid has a freaking cannon!

How many extra plays a series do you think he makes that Wilson freaking Betemit wouldn't? 5? 10? 15 even?? How many extra hits has he turned into outs? Our pitching has looked much better lately......perhaps the fact that teams can't bunt us to death down the 3b line and that our pitchers are no longer being forced to throw extra pitches in an inning and extend innings etc. has something to do with that?

He's 19, his offense at the major league level is impressive enough as it is. But the defense, I mean my god, so far (granted it's still a fairly small sample size) has been better than anyone we've had over there since Mora. He's better than Mora defensively, so then who? Cal when he moved to third? It's an interesting debate.

Love what he has given us. The cojones Buck and DD showed to bring him up and stick him over there and PLAY HIM on and everyday basis cannot be overstated. Huevos Rancheros Grandes fellas. He'll probably continue to look a little overmatched at the plate the rest of this year. But that is to be expected in a playoff race. Even vets tighten up when the pressure starts to heat up.

Luckily as has been said, we aren't counting on him for offense. Anything he provides is a welcome bonus.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just to clarify, I did not intend for the opening page to be a question of whether the small sample size of plate appearance for a 19 year old rushed to the majors should be cause for concern in terms of his long term ability to produce.

I AM interested in the following questions:

1. Are you concerned that his bat will become such a liability that by September it won't outweigh his defensive contributions and thus starting Manny does not give us the best chance to win?

2. In terms of Manny's development as a player (ignoring the fact that our major league squad is in contention and need of help), do you think he'd be better off at AAA right now?

So far it seems like most folks are saying no to question #1, I'm curious about the board's thoughts on #2 as well.

I actually still have confidence when he hits, desphite his recent struggles. His bat speed is really something phenominal. The drives to deep right-center field. Fastballs that he reads late and makes contact to foul it off. It seems to me that his biggest problem right now is picking up the breaking ball. Chasing some after committing late to it. I think he is going to have a very good September.

Plus, his defense has been very good.

Just to clarify, I did not intend for the opening page to be a question of whether the small sample size of plate appearance for a 19 year old rushed to the majors should be cause for concern in terms of his long term ability to produce.

1. Are you concerned that his bat will become such a liability that by September it won't outweigh his defensive contributions and thus starting Manny does not give us the best chance to win?

2. In terms of Manny's development as a player (ignoring the fact that our major league squad is in contention and need of help), do you think he'd be better off at AAA right now?

So far it seems like most folks are saying no to question #1, I'm curious about the board's thoughts on #2 as well.

No and no.

If his bat doesn't come around the rest of the season, I'd start him in AAA next year. When I've seen him hit lately, he looks very uncomfortable. He's swinging at the first pitch a lot, and not having patient AB's.

If his bat doesn't come around the rest of the season, I'd start him in AAA next year. When I've seen him hit lately, he looks very uncomfortable. He's swinging at the first pitch a lot, and not having patient AB's.

As good as he is playing right now at 3rd, I'd consider letting him work through it next year. I think he is going to have a solid September though.

The call up of Machado was spot on in my opinion. The kid plays stellar defense and will probably turn into a very good hitter. In terms of the questions Manny is certainly NOT a liabilty and I doubt will be one. Additionally, he is better off here (at ML level) so that he can defend and see more ML pitching.

I'm not worried about him longterm and he's certainly our best option at third right now. However, as of right now, I don't want him to be our starting third baseman in 2013. He could probably use some more time in the minors and then there's always the service time thing.

The defense itself has been worth the price of admission at some games' date=' he's been that good in my opinion. He's 19 years old and the kid has a freaking cannon!

How many extra plays a series do you think he makes that Wilson freaking Betemit wouldn't? 5? 10? 15 even?? [/quote']

Holy hyperbole, Batman! Machado has made 47 plays at 3B in the 17 games since he got here. That's about 8 plays in a 3-game series. He is probably making less than one play per series that Betemit wouldn't make. But that's plenty.

Archived