Anyone worried about Machado's bat?

Mashed Potatoes

Machado's OPS is over a hundred points higher than Trout's was at the same age, which I'm pretty sure means Machado is going to be Babe Ruth except he can play shortstop. It's going to be a good decade, fellas.

Manny's a ballplayer pure and simple, and he will only get better.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Machado's OPS is over a hundred points higher than Trout's was at the same age, which I'm pretty sure means Machado is going to be Babe Ruth except he can play shortstop. It's going to be a good decade, fellas.

In this case there's nothing at all wrong with basic extrapolations of single, hand-picked samples of data. In fact, I'd go a step further and note that at Manny's exact age Ted Williams hadn't yet made his MLB debut, so I'm assuming he'll hit .400 twice.

I'm somewhat surprised how little press Machado is getting, considering how well he's been doing. The media is writing about the O's, but it's all about our bullpen, cobbled together rotation and, now, Reynolds. Not that I'm complaining. After the Wieters fiasco, I prefer Machado flies a little under the radar.

Mclouth is a temporary stopgap, and has played reasonably well, especially defensively.If anyone thinks he is a full time solution or he is

even a big upgrade in the three hole even for the next few weeks, they should think again. I wouldnt mind Machado moving to the

three hole. He wouldnt be worse, I can tell you that.

The Orioles need to make plans for an upgrade at 2b and some viable backup plan at LF should Reimold not be a reliable option.

This is a pitching heavy organization and thats BEFORE Bundy or Glausman. They need solid players at a couple of key positions.They

might have to trade some of their pitching to get it.

Wow Roy, that's a lot of faith in a 19/20 yr old kid. I don't disagree that McLouth should be batting lower in the order, but I'd rather see them simply bump up Jones and the rest of the order up one spot.

Markakis

Hardy (get over it, he's not moving)

Jones

Wieters

Reynolds

Davis

Machado

McLouth

Q-Dino

By rWAR Manny currently sports the 10th best age-19 season by a position player since WWII. Average career value of the eight guys in front of him (excepting Bryce Harper) is 47.9 WAR. Worst player ahead of him was Ed Kranepool who had almost 6000 career PAs.

If you can hold your own in the majors at 19 and can avoid getting beaned like Tony Conigliaro you're almost guaranteed to be a very good major leaguer with a long career.

I feel this is probably the best place to write this instead of starting a new thread. These past two series MM bat has really been heating up. I really am expecting him to start hitting some doubles, triples and homeruns this series. Look for some big hits this series out of him and dont worry about repping me for this until Sunday when we are in first and they change the title of this thread to Machado's Bat is what causes the thunder, not Thor with his wimpy hammer.:beerchug1:

Where's the "I was wrong thread". Machado has solidified the defense and aquitted himself nicely with the bat. I would not put him the 3rd hole though. McLouth has done well enough there, IMO.

Why do people say this? McClouth can't hit right handers (.197 .590 OPS). He has little power (2 HR's on the year) and while he's done better for the Orioles (.248 BA vs. .140 for Pittsburgh), that's not exactly what you like to see in the third spot.

He's got a .728 OPS as an Oriole, and generally has good AB's, IMO. I don't think he's a great option by any means. I just don't think there is a significantly better option right now. Just like J.J. Hardy is not really a #2 hitter but we don't have a real #2 hitter, so no big deal. We have a ton of #6 and #7 hitters though.

I would argue that MM is a real 2 or 3 hitter. He takes a lot of pitches, makes good contact, and hits line drives. He will be hitting like 2005 version of BRob next season.

I'm not worried about Macho Manny's bat but the rest of the league is. I wish they'd bat McLouth #2 and Hardy #3. McLouth is fast sees alot ofd pitches, bunts well, can hit behind the runner, and stays out of the DP. Hardy would see lots of FB with men on base and Jones coming up behind him.

I'm not worried about Macho Manny's bat but the rest of the league is. I wish they'd bat McLouth #2 and Hardy #3. McLouth is fast sees alot ofd pitches, bunts well, can hit behind the runner, and stays out of the DP. Hardy would see lots of FB with men on base and Jones coming up behind him.

Yes... I like this.

Archived