If we don't make the playoffs...

Bahama O's Fan

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It will depend how it goes down. If we play pretty well down the stretch but other teams play better, my disappointment level will be a 3-4. If we play poorly down the stretch, it'll be more like a 7-8. If we lose on the final weekend, it'll probably be a 10 no matter how we played to get there.

It's been a great season so far, but how we play over the last 30 games will mean a lot to me.

I pretty much echo Frobby's sentiment. I think it might hurt more in the moment if we come up juuuuust short in the last couple days, but then overall I'll be more pleased at the surprise season than disappointed. But if we just lay a gigantic egg this month and fall out of it, especially if we end up below .500, and I'll be pretty upset.

Being that I've been telling people for years that I would be happy to be playing relevant baseball in September...just to be in the race, and since I expected this season to go very poorly, it would be hypocritical to get too upset now. Yes, i'm invested in these guys, but I'll do my best to keep perspective no matter what. I got a text yesterday from a friend in Jersey who is a lifelong Yankee fan, and it was full of compliments about the way the O's are playing. He basically ended by saying, "You guys must be really excited with how your team is playing." I am.

Zero... playoffs are a bonus for this team.

They just have to go 9-21 over the last 30 to finish over .500. Of course, I would want them to continue their march to the postseason, but it would be a bonus for me. If they keep playing at their .553 clip, the team could finish 90-72.

I'm either a 0 or a 9 and I can't figure out which.

Logically it should be 0. We all told ourselves that we don't need everything... just PLEASE let get over .500. If I had any integrity, I would be ecstatic at winning 82 games and just leave it at that.

...but I'm really really psyched for getting into the playoffs. I want to see and hear the smug experts who said in may and continue to say in september that this team has no chance. It would be a huge disappointment if we didn't make it at all and proved them all right.

so I can't decide... 0 or 9

I don't expect them to make the playoffs so I won't be disappointed. If the team can ever win more than 5 games in a row, that might change. Otherwise I see a .500ish record the rest of the way, and 86 W. Pretty good for a team that was 69 W last year.

10. They are in the race RIGHT NOW. I can't believe people try to reason with this scenario as if it's some kind of academic issue. It's just silly - it's a team playing a sport. Trying to reason how invested you should be based on how good or bad you thought they'd be prior to opening day is just simply a function of how terribly wrong (and how off people's assumptions were) fans were about the team's prospects in the first place -- this is the same problem I have with listening to all the so-called "experts" on these ridiculous 24-7 sports shows... they make it seem as if all of the assumptions and predictions are reality and urgent at that. If anything, this season just goes to show... let the players play the game... then talk about.

If you aren't majorly disappointed, then you have a screw loose.

It would be a 10 for me. I don't care What the expectations going into the season were. The fact is, we are in the race, and to come this far and not make it is almost as bad as not even contending. This is largely due to the fact that since I have no faith that Angelos will allow DD to improve greatly over the winter, this may be a one hit wonder.

I keep getting the feeling that yesterday in the 7th inning was the O's high water mark this season. At least in terms of catching the MFY's, and most likely the playofs too. We didn't lose IMO, because Hardy made an E, or Buck left Chen in too long, or Strop had poor command. We lost because this team can not manufacture runs. They have no good situational hitters. And that won't change. In the stretch you have to do the little things while you wait for the 3 R HR.

Archived