If we don't make the playoffs...

Bahama O's Fan

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Coming into the season I'd have been ecstatic with a winning record, but they've played so well to this point I'd have to say 10. Its the kind of miracle season which come along for every franchise only every 20 or so years and I want them to ride it all the way to the world series. I think all the guys in the clubhouse would also be at 10s just because they know how good they can be. If you were to ask Buck Showalter if he'd be happy winning 90 games but missing the playoffs I think he'd spit tobacco juice in your eye.

This is actually a great question. It has to be answered in real time, and if the O's do not make the playoffs, I really do not see how we can not be devastated, so I can sign up for a 12 on a scale of 1-10. But given our expectations, realistic expectations, not what we hoped for in April when hope "springs eternal", I am already pleased beyond my wildest dreams. I have not attended a game yet this year and still hope to get to at least one, but this year has been unbelievably enjoyable. I will be disappointed if we do not win it all at this point, but so happy to feel we are back in it. Next year regardless of how this year ends, will be very interesting. I can see all of our expectations getting way, way out in front of where we are now.

Either way, I am on board for enjoying this ride wherever it takes us.

10. They are in the race RIGHT NOW. I can't believe people try to reason with this scenario as if it's some kind of academic issue. It's just silly - it's a team playing a sport. Trying to reason how invested you should be based on how good or bad you thought they'd be prior to opening day is just simply a function of how terribly wrong (and how off people's assumptions were) fans were about the team's prospects in the first place -- this is the same problem I have with listening to all the so-called "experts" on these ridiculous 24-7 sports shows... they make it seem as if all of the assumptions and predictions are reality and urgent at that. If anything, this season just goes to show... let the players play the game... then talk about.

If you aren't majorly disappointed, then you have a screw loose.

Sorry you're just plain wrong. When I came into the season I didn't expect anything at all. It has nothing to do with what people on TV say. I saw little last season to make me think this year would be any different from the last 14 or however many it's been. And really you still can't say I'm wrong because this team is much different than last year's along with a bunch of unknowns such as Chen. I always hope for the best but this year has far surpassed my expectations and just finishing over .500 this year excites me. It's been a long time since I've felt good about this team. Missing out on the playoffs by a few games isn't going to change that. And for that reason I can't go any higher than a 2 on this scale. Of course there will be some disappointment if we miss out because we're in it if it ended today, but to be a full 10 is insane to me. Only way I could be anywhere near a 10 would be if we had a Yankee type payroll or if we had multiple straight playoff runs already.

They have already exceeded my expectations for the year. Oakland and the O's are the only teams on track for 90 wins. If the O's stumble at the end, I'll be disappointed, but on a 1-10 scale, it's a 3. However, if they miss the playoffs by one game, it's maybe a 7. I don't think this team is built to go deep in the playoffs if they were to get there. By contrast, the Ravens should have gone all the way last season. Lee Evans dropped sure winning TD, followed by Cundiff's missed easy FG, was off the charts, an 11

Amp%2B11.jpg

Not a large enough number. That sequence of unfortunate events left me pacing around my block, in the snow, in socks for a good 10 minutes. Just kept repeating "not that way" to myself. Didn't make me feel any better. Shed one or two tears as a result and not ashamed to admit it.

As for the O's... well it depends how. It certainly won't be anything less than a 6 or 7, that's for sure. Could be as high as 10. Who knows.

Question along the same lines:

HOW UPSET WILL YOU BE IF WE LOSE IN THE 1-GAME WC PLAY IN GAME?

10. They are in the race RIGHT NOW. I can't believe people try to reason with this scenario as if it's some kind of academic issue. It's just silly - it's a team playing a sport. Trying to reason how invested you should be based on how good or bad you thought they'd be prior to opening day is just simply a function of how terribly wrong (and how off people's assumptions were) fans were about the team's prospects in the first place -- this is the same problem I have with listening to all the so-called "experts" on these ridiculous 24-7 sports shows... they make it seem as if all of the assumptions and predictions are reality and urgent at that. If anything, this season just goes to show... let the players play the game... then talk about.

If you aren't majorly disappointed, then you have a screw loose.

This is a post I made like 3 days ago.

To those saying things like "it's less stressful becuase they've already exceeded preseason expectations" and "I'm happy either way!"...

I just don't get it. They've already far and away exceeded my expectations. The thing is, those goal posts were moved back a few months ago. At that point it was .500 or bust! Guess what? THOSE goal posts got moved back last month. Now it's playoffs or bust. Hopefully we can move these ones back too in a months time and make it AL East or bust!

Basically what I'm making an awful attempt to get at is I'm nervious as F*@K! I don't know how to handle this. I do know that I won't be happy no matter what happens here on out. If we drop our next 20 win a few and finish 1 game over .500... I'm gonna be FURIOUS. I may look back at some point and be like "yea, well that was knida fun, but I'm still pissed".

Nobody wants to settle for mediocrity. We were just forced to settle for HOPING to be medicore the past 10+ years. This year it's all in front of us. The stars have allaigned. Maybe we were a bit luckier than most. Who cares? We're in the position we are right now and I would love for nothing more than for our boys to go out there and take it. What is it, 35 games left? We're tops in the WC. 14 games over .500. Tomorrow is September...

glass_case_of_emotion.gif

LETS DO THIS ALREADY BOYS!

100000% agree. Repped. Everything. Spot on about it all.

I'd have to say a 1. Not because expectations were low to start the year or anything like that.

This season, there have been many instances where other Oriole clubs would've lost it and faded out of contention. This club, they are the toughest squad that I can remember. They've kept me on the edge of my seat all summer and no matter what happens from here on out I won't be dissapointed.

See Todd-O's post for my thoughts on the issue...

If they don't make the playoffs, they didn't have a successful season IMO. Was their record better than it has been in forever if they win 82? Sure, but that is not 'success'.

The top 10 teams in baseball (roughly) get in...we need to at least get in...

Sorry you're just plain wrong. When I came into the season I didn't expect anything at all. It has nothing to do with what people on TV say. I saw little last season to make me think this year would be any different from the last 14 or however many it's been. And really you still can't say I'm wrong because this team is much different than last year's along with a bunch of unknowns such as Chen. I always hope for the best but this year has far surpassed my expectations and just finishing over .500 this year excites me. It's been a long time since I've felt good about this team. Missing out on the playoffs by a few games isn't going to change that. And for that reason I can't go any higher than a 2 on this scale. Of course there will be some disappointment if we miss out because we're in it if it ended today, but to be a full 10 is insane to me. Only way I could be anywhere near a 10 would be if we had a Yankee type payroll or if we had multiple straight playoff runs already.

If you came into this season and "didn't expect anything at all," how in the world have the Orioles "surpassed [your] expectations?????"

That makes no sense... It's like saying:

"I don't like any particular kind of ice cream, but my favorite flavor is strawberry."

I can't believe a real fan of the team - a fan that loves watching the sport and loves post season baseball - wouldn't be 100% disappointed if the O's can't make it to the post season. There are fans that stay invested with teams even in the deep dark days... They still get disappointed in a loss even if a team is 20 games below in August... Then there are fans that have no problem disengaging themselves from a losing team. Heck, you know how many fans of the Nats are former O's fans that just couldn't take the losing and decided to put their eggs in the Nats basket starting right near the end of last season? Here in Mont. Co. I know a ton of them.

At the end of the day, you need to get your head in the game and get behind this team. You owe it to yourself, at least, if you really are an O's fan. You can't go your whole life protecting your sports feelings from possibly being hurt.

Geeesh.

I'm relieved to see some of you saying 10... If I could say 11, I would.
The O's are ONE game out of FIRST on Sept 3rd. At this point, my disappointment level will be a 10 if they don't take the east!!!

I just don't understand how a team that's overperforming expectations by 15 or 20 games could be the most disappointing team possible. That's what a 10 is, as disappointing as you can get. More disappointing than the 2005 Orioles. More disappointing than the team that lost to Jeffrey Maier, or that had Armando Benitez giving up tons of high-leverage postseason homers. More disappointing than the '86 team that was poised to make a run under Earl in August, then collapsed like the 4-32ers.

To me it makes no sense.

Archived