If we don't make the playoffs...

Bahama O's Fan

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just don't understand how a team that's overperforming expectations by 15 or 20 games could be the most disappointing team possible. That's what a 10 is, as disappointing as you can get. More disappointing than the 2005 Orioles. More disappointing than the team that lost to Jeffrey Maier, or that had Armando Benitez giving up tons of high-leverage postseason homers. More disappointing than the '86 team that was poised to make a run under Earl in August, then collapsed like the 4-32ers.

To me it makes no sense.

I've always been of the mindset that there are two types of regular season teams. Those who make the playoffs, and those who do not. For the first time in forever, the O's have a chance to be part of the former.

I've never been one to care whether the O's finish 3rd, 4th or 5th in the standings. Or whether they win 50 or 80 games. In all honesty, .500 isn't really that big of a deal to me either. I'll be happy if we get to 82 wins, but it's not all that important to me. The playoffs are what matters.

But again, I think a big part of the disappointment is not being convinced we can repeat this next year. There are certainly some positive signs, particularly among the pitching staff, but we still don't know if Hammel, Chen, Gonzalez, Britton or Tillman will be able to repeat this year's success. If I thought we were now poised to be a perennial contender I could handle missing the playoffs this year a little easier.

I can't be disappointed with this young, gutty team that has almost always been able to put their losses (the blowouts as well as the heart-wrenching, close losses) behind them time after time and have managed to at least tread water (and sometimes even prosper) while many of us (Oriole fans) were agonizing over almost every single loss for the first 4 months of the season, waiting for the other shoe to drop.

They have saved us from the ghosts of 2005, the ghosts of 2002, and the ghosts of every other team that had ultimately let us down over the past 14 seasons.

I suppose that I'll feel bad if we didn't make the playoffs, because if we don't make it, it will (in all likelihood) mean that the Yankees WILL make the playoffs.

Other than that, this team has really, really done me well, and have played like the professionals that I, and the rest of the Orioles fans in the world have needed them to.

If we don't make the playoffs, I'll remember this as I remember the WhyNot team. It was a joyous ride. The glory is in the journey. Also, I'm hopeful about the future. I believe this team has a much solider foundation then the whynot team.

I think so. I hope so. The pitching is better, and has vastly more projection. Let's just make sure Duquette doesn't do the equivalent of trading Tettleton, Bradley, Schilling, Finley, and Harnisch for absolutely nothing.

If we don't make the playoffs, I'll remember this as I remember the WhyNot team. It was a joyous ride. The glory is in the journey. Also, I'm hopeful about the future. I believe this team has a much solider foundation then the whynot team.

I don't think this team is better positioned going forward than the 89 team, frankly. And I wrote about it last week.

In short, I do believe the staff, w the benefit of hindsight, does look more projectable going forward, I don't think the farm system is as strong now, nor do I believe we're about 2 years away from adding a HOF pitcher in the first round, who will spend under a year in the MiLs and arrive a fully blossomed ace, nor do I believe we will be able to supplement this roster w FAs as successfully as we were able to in the mid-90s.

I think so. I hope so. The pitching is better, and has vastly more projection. Let's just make sure Duquette doesn't do the equivalent of trading Tettleton, Bradley, Schilling, Finley, and Harnisch for absolutely nothing.

Oh man, bad memories. Out of those guys we got Jeff Robinson (5.18 in 19 starts), Ron Kittle (.498 OPS in 64 PA), and of course, Glenn Davis (.713 OPS in ~750 PA). All of those guys played their last year in Baltimore and were out of the majors before turning 33.

On the other hand,

Tettleton put up 6 consecutive ~130 OPS+ seasons with Detroit and Texas

Schilling turns into one of the great right-handed starters of the past 20 years, starting in 3 World Series, compiling over 200 wins, and striking out 3000 batters.

Finley becomes a solid player and a great defender, then explodes in his late 30's with 6 years of .850+ hitting. Admittedly, his numbers scream PED, but who knows.

Harnisch is a solidly above-average starter, with 6 years of well over 100 OPS+.

At least Phil Bradley didn't hurt us. He was out of baseball by '91.

I don't think this team is better positioned going forward than the 89 team, frankly. And I wrote about it last week.

In short, I do believe the staff, w the benefit of hindsight, does look more projectable going forward, I don't think the farm system is as strong now, nor do I believe we're about 2 years away from adding a HOF pitcher in the first round, who will spend under a year in the MiLs and arrive a fully blossomed ace, nor do I believe we will be able to supplement this roster w FAs as successfully as we were able to in the mid-90s.

bundy51.jpg

Pitchers that were in the Orioles farm system in 1989, which trumps Dylan Bundy, and Kevin Gausmann.

Maybe, maybe not. The 2012 Orioles also have access to streams of talent that didn't exist in 1989, like Koji, Wei-Yin, and Wada.

And if you're going to count Rhodes, I think the current Orioles have any number of failing starters who could end up with Rhodes' eventual value to the Orioles.

Maybe, maybe not. The 2012 Orioles also have access to streams of talent that didn't exist in 1989, like Koji, Wei-Yin, and Wada.

Obviously, we don't know how anybody's career is going to turn out. I'll say this I'll take group of pitching prospects over what we have now.

The Orioles don't have any unique access to streams of talent that the other 29 teams don't. Same as the 89 team. It's pretty much a wash.

Also, I didn't even mention Mussina because he wasn't in the org. in 89, but what do you think the odds are that the O's draft a HOF pitcher in 2014, and he's here in 2015 pitching as a bona fide ace? I'd very, very, very slim.

And if you're going to count Rhodes, I think the current Orioles have any number of failing starters who could end up with Rhodes' eventual value to the Orioles.

Maybe. Rhodes was a very good bullpen piece for quite a few years in Baltimore. It remains to be seen if Arrieta or whomever will be as good as him.

I admit the ML staff in 12 has more upside on it, but I don't think that extends throughout the organization.

Oh, ok, so it's more like a binary gate. Win World Series = good. All other outcomes = abysmal failure and descent into wretched addiction, mental anguish, and eternal hell.

You find yourself in a position where you over analyze. It's pretty simple: This is a sport. Enjoy the games. When your team makes it this far into the season and are in a position to, as the OP originally questioned, make the playoffs then you should have your head in the game and get into it. There's no reasoning about it. If you had low expectations, then your expectations were obviously so bad and off the mark that they were off the map. Not that expectations matter... they don't. What I don't understand is trying to over-reason the situation. Young team or old team... expensive payroll or shoe-string budget... roster full of nobodies or full of All-Stars... the games still get played and still have outcomes that reach beyond what you or any so-called baseball analyst can expect or control. That's why they play the game. The problem with sports fans these days is that they are constantly inundated with expert analysis and predictions (that are probably wrong 85% of the time) almost to the point that listening to an analysis makes you feel as if you already know the outcome of a game or a season... and if the game ends up any other way then the game/season was mis-played or the outcome is diminished. That's exactly why I don't listen to / watch that junk.

Right now, on September 4 2012, with the current standings as they are and the games laid out in front of us --- how could you not be maxed out disappointed with anything but a playoff appearance?

Archived