The energy at Camden Yards is amazing

barnanimal

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120907&content_id=38024668&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

Read the full story, but love this note from Justice. Roch wrote it up too, but not as well.

In the last five seasons, Orioles center fielder Adam Jones occasionally has gone to one of the senior members of the organization and asked about the past.

"How loud can this place get?" Jones would ask trainer Richie Bancells.
The Orioles had let a 6-1 lead turn into a 6-6 tie in top of the eighth inning, and then Jones led off the bottom of the inning with a towering home run to left field.

Jones soaked up the cheers, got the bear hugs and handshakes in the dugout and then plopped down on the bench. That's when Bancells approached him.

"THAT," he whispered, "is how loud it can get."

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This was Cal's night and I know there was no way he was disappointed with what he saw. Without a doubt, this team and the fans made him very proud to be able to call himself an Oriole.

Hey SJ, if you made it out to section 68, then I heard you. I was in section 82. :)

In our section, peanuts shells were flying, with every homerun, and the noise was incredible, esp. with two outs and two strikes. Very few were still sitting.

First game I've been to in the past fourteen years, that we finally took back the yard in huge proportion. Enough to make a grown woman misty eyed.

Also, so awesome to see the Yank fans filing out in the bottom of the eight, with heads hanging. :clap3: Beautiful site to see. More of that, please. :hearts:

Last night's game, one word...magical. I'm so glad I was there to witness this game in person. I feel sorry for all O's fans who could not be at the Yard. If you're an O's fan, you can't allow yourself to miss these kind of games. Get there when you can. We gotta represent. This is our Yard, our year, and it's time to take it back. :thumbsup1:

P.S. And that shot by Jones in the eight...crushed. Went flying over my head and landed near the back few rows of section 82. Sweet.

I spoke with a fellow fan on Eutaw St. he said while in line, a group of ten Yankees fans had driven down from NY and were turned away from the box office.

Well, if that wasn't poor planning. I mean, even if the Orioles were floundering, Cal Ripken night? A group of 10? Not easy gets.

WOW!!! I went to the game last night. That was the loudest Oriole game I've EVER been too! The crowd was beyond pumped! What an amazing night! Starting with Cal, the 6 homeruns, beating the Yankees...Just absolutely awesome! That stadium was so loud! Hearing everyone chant, "Seven Nation Army" was so cool! Booing every Yankee that came to bat. Then, walking out of the stadium, all the fans, and I mean ALL the fans were in unison, saying, "Let's go O's!" and "Yankees Suck!"

BEST ORIOLE GAME EVER!!! :2yay-thumb:

They?ll come to Baltimore for reasons they can?t even fathom. They?ll turn into your parking lots, not knowing for sure why they?re doing it. They?ll arrive at your door, as innocent as children, longing for the past. ?Of course, we won?t mind if you look around,? you?ll say, ?It?s only twenty dollars per person.? And they?ll pass over the money without even thinking about it, for it is money they have and peace they lack. And they?ll walk off to the bleachers and sit in their short sleeves on a perfect afternoon. And find they have reserved seats somewhere along the baselines where they sat when they were children. And cheer their heroes. And they?ll watch the game, and it?ll be as they?d dipped themselves in magic waters. The memories will be so thick, they?ll have to brush them away from their faces. People will come, Peter. The one constant through all the years Peter, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It?s been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game, is a part of our past, Ray. It reminds us of all that once was good, and that could be again. Oh people will come, Peter. People will most definitely come.

I hope someone appreciates what can be again.

Roch chimes in

Jones is constantly asking how loud it can get at Camden Yards. The low attendance eats at him more than anyone else. He often poses the question to head athletic trainer Richie Bancells, who's been in the organization for 36 years. If anyone should know, it's Bancells.

After Jones hit the tie-breaking home run in the eighth inning and the decibel level spiked and the stadium shook, Bancells walked up to him in the dugout, smiled and said, "That's how loud this place can get."

That story about Jones and Bancells after Jones' HR is chill-inducing.

I bet that more than a few of the players show up early to the yard tonight. They have to be chomping at the bit to get right back at it. Here's hoping they can put up another show tonight and take sole possession of first!!!

They?ll come to Baltimore for reasons they can?t even fathom. They?ll turn into your parking lots, not knowing for sure why they?re doing it. They?ll arrive at your door, as innocent as children, longing for the past. ?Of course, we won?t mind if you look around,? you?ll say, ?It?s only twenty dollars per person.? And they?ll pass over the money without even thinking about it, for it is money they have and peace they lack. And they?ll walk off to the bleachers and sit in their short sleeves on a perfect afternoon. And find they have reserved seats somewhere along the baselines where they sat when they were children. And cheer their heroes. And they?ll watch the game, and it?ll be as they?d dipped themselves in magic waters. The memories will be so thick, they?ll have to brush them away from their faces. People will come, Peter. The one constant through all the years Peter, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It?s been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game, is a part of our past, Ray. It reminds us of all that once was good, and that could be again. Oh people will come, Peter. People will most definitely come.

I hope someone appreciates what can be again.

They played this on the loudspeaker at old Memorial Stadium after the final game, right before Brooks, Franks, Jim and all the old players emerged one by one from the dugout in full uniform. I just got goose bumps just thinking about it. Baseball was magical in Baltimore for a long time, and now it is, once again.

They played this on the loudspeaker at old Memorial Stadium after the final game, right before Brooks, Franks, Jim and all the old players emerged one by one from the dugout in full uniform. I just got goose bumps just thinking about it. Baseball was magical in Baltimore for a long time, and now it is, once again.

Love it. Every time I watch Field of Dreams, I remember OUR FOD on that final game at Memorial Stadium!

Ditto me.

Everything about last night was chill-inducing. I wasn't even there. I had to watch via MLB.tv in Michigan. I have never seen Camden Yards so packed and energized in my life. The fact that everyone was there to support the O's was mind blowing. I've never been so into a sporting event. Ever. I was sitting there, screaming at my computer screen when Jones, Reynolds and Davis teed off in the 8th. I've never been happier to be an Orioles fan. I can't even imagine what it feels like to be a player, let alone be there at all last night.

Seriously, reading all of these posts (especially the Bancell's tidbit) gives me chills and gets my eyes to tear up. I really don't think any other team's fan base can/has/will understand what it feels like to be an O's fan right now.

Archived