Pray for Nick

Moose Milligan

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dunno, it's kinda fun to talk about drilling their guys. And it's not hurting anyone, either.

I soon as I realized that Markakis was hurt I immediately thought about who we should hit. It made me feel better. At the same time we don't need to be hurting anyone. Sabathia wasn't trying to hit him let alone hurt him.

Markakis got hit over an hour ago... how is there no official announcement yet?

My completely uninformed guess is that there must be a lot of bruising, and they might not be able to tell if there's a hairline fracture, so they might not know for sure until more extensive X-rays, and until swelling goes down.

But I'm almost certain Nick said "It's not broken" to Betemit in the dugout.

Oh, whatever. How fair weather are you? Strop's been a huge component of our bullpen this year. The dude is obviously tired, he's thrown more big league innings this year than any other year he's pitched by far. We've leaned a lot on this guy all summer and now all of a sudden you dislike him?

I don't dislike him at all but we are going to need to come up with more eighth inning options, because he's clearly fading. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'd seriously consider using Gregg in high-leverage situations at this point. Maybe Arrieta if we can get his feet wet first.

As for losing Nick, the strength of the team this year has been that we've never had to rely on just one guy to compete. Other guys are going to have to step up now. Maybe move Davis back into the outfield and get another bat in at DH?

I don't dislike him at all but we are going to need to come up with more eighth inning options, because he's clearly fading. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'd seriously consider using Gregg in high-leverage situations at this point. Maybe Arrieta if we can get his feet wet first.

As for losing Nick, the strength of the team this year has been that we've never had to rely on just one guy to compete. Other guys are going to have to step up now. Maybe move Davis back into the outfield and get another bat in at DH?

True, but do you remember how our offense did without nick? it was ugly. His bat leading off has been pretty significant as of late. lets just pray nothings broken and he can keep grinding another few weeks. if he sits tomorrow then we'll have the offday, which should let the swelling subside at least.

http://www.cbssports.com/general/blog/eye-on-baseball/20110823/nick-markakis-exits-game-after-pitch-hits-his-left-hand

Also, a few innings later, Markakis appeared in the Orioles dugout with either a heavy wrap or soft cast around his thumb. Orioles manager Buck Showalter was shown on the Orioles' broadcast hugging Markakis, as if to console him. So the best guess is the news will not be good.

Archived