Inning ending DP by Mark Teixeira to win the game

alaniee

Umm, no. Maris hit 61 homers in 1961. 31 on the road, 30 at home. Yankee Stadium was not that much of a hitters' park.

One of Maris' proudest accomplishments that he would quickly point to when asked about the Yankee Stadium right-field home run porch was the fact that he hit 31 home runs on the road and 30 at home in his historical 1961 season. However, I'm sure that Maris himself would concede that he did benefit from that extremely short porch on some of the 30 round-trippers that he hit at home that year. He would point to the 31/30 home run split to legitimize his prowess as a well-rounded home run hitter that wasn't just a one-trick pony, not to completely obscure/discount the huge advantage that he had when he played (and hit home runs) at home.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have watched the end the game about 50 times at this point and each time is better than the last. Getting a dramatic win, it happening to Tex, a bad call finally going the Orioles way, and the Orioles celebrations is simply wonderful. I may watch it 50 more times.

Anyone see Orioles Xtra where they showed a replay of this play from the angle of like second base where the MFY 1B coach makes a safe sign as if he is the ump only to immediately make an out sign punching his fist as if he's the ump as soon as the ump calls him out? It was so hilarious but I'm pissed I didn't record it. Hoping somebody has a GIF.

Archived