Why is Toronto's attendance substantially up this year?

Frobby

This is kind of a puzzle. Last year, the Blue Jays drew 22,445 per game and finished 25th in attendance. This year, they are drawing 26,854 per game and rank 20th; in fact, they already have outdrawn last year's attendance.

It's not like the Blue Jays are having a good year; in fact, they've been awful. And they didn't do anything last year that would have led to a huge spike in season ticket sales for 2012 (they finished 81-81 last season).

By the way, this is the second year in a row the Jays have had a big spike in attendance. They drew under 1.5 million fans just two years ago.

So, what is going on in Toronto? Has there been a big rollback in ticket prices or something?

SG (who I think worked in ticket sales) used to always say that season tickets account for a substantial amount of the total sales. The Jays were expected to compete this year (especially with the extra WC), and have been pretty solid for a while. Combine that with Bautista showing last year that he's no fluke, there was probably a good buzz about this team, in Toronto, heading into the season.

SG (who I think worked in ticket sales) used to always say that season tickets account for a substantial amount of the total sales. The Jays were expected to compete this year (especially with the extra WC), and have been pretty solid for a while. Combine that with Bautista showing last year that he's no fluke, there was probably a good buzz about this team, in Toronto, heading into the season.

From the people I've talked to in Toronto, they were very high on the team coming into this year. The pitching was supposed to be good, to offense was supposed to be good, and their farm system was highly praised, so it's not surprising that season ticket sales were up.

Yup, pretty much this.

I am excited to see the bump in attendance next year for the O's once people buy some ticket plans.

From the people I've talked to in Toronto, they were very high on the team coming into this year. The pitching was supposed to be good, to offense was supposed to be good, and their farm system was highly praised, so it's not surprising that season ticket sales were up.

I still find it surprising. Toronto was better in 2010 (85-77) than they were in 2011 (81-81). I wouldn't think fans would be all that much more excited going into 2012 than they were going into 2011. And to the extent there ever is any walk-up, nobody has any reason to go to a Toronto game right now.

I'd pay some money to see that logo and those uniforms in person a few times a year. In fact, deep in my brain it might have been one of the reasons I paid to see them against Camden Yards back in August. Well, not really, but I really love the uniform change. They went from having one of the worst logo and uniforms, maybe in all sports, to one of the best in one season.

Archived