Today's Cincinnati Enquirer -

TheBee

Agreed.....Maloney is a decent guy to get.

Do you think a deal of Bedard for Encarnacion, Maloney, Votto and Bailey or Cueto would be agreed to by both sides?

I think thats a pretty fair deal for both sides. I'm not real big on Encarnacion, but I wouldn't mind him being the third player in a Bedard deal.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do you think a deal of Bedard for Encarnacion, Maloney, Votto and Bailey or Cueto would be agreed to by both sides?

I think thats a pretty fair deal for both sides. I'm not real big on Encarnacion, but I wouldn't mind him being the third player in a Bedard deal.

I would really like that deal.

If the Reds include Bailey or Cueto and Votto, they could include several guys to be the third and maybe 4th players to make it a good deal.

If Votto and Bailey/Cueto are in the deal, I think we make it. Almost regardless of who the third player is. We just need to make sure they're both in the deal.

Edited to say: Great minds, SG, thinking alike.

I really like Bailey. I'm not at all worried about the rumored issues of him only being it for the money.

Votto would finally give us the power first baseman we've been looking for since Raffy left the first time.

I agree that these two need to be in the deal. If Bailey isn't than Cueto needs to be.

No. Encarnacion is their starting 3Bman, and to my knowledge they do not have a suitable replacement.

To be realistic, any deal has to take into account that the teams we are dealing with are trying to increase their chances of contending in 08. Giving up a lot of present value doesn't help.

And then Maloney on top of it?

Bailey, Votto, Maloney, and Stubbs (or two other lower level but close to the majors prospects) is a fair deal for Bedard and I hope that's more along the lines of what both teams come to in the end. The Reds are not going to give up huge amounts of their CURRENT starting lineup to get Erik. I thought Baltimore's main goal in trading their top players was to get one or two ML ready players and 1-3 prospects who could help the team out later this year or next year and for the future. If that's really what they're looking for, then taking away 1/3 of the Reds starting lineup should not even be what they're asking for IMO. The Reds could easily get this done if the O's back off this whole Bruce thing.

BTW-The Reds are NOT going to pick up any big contracts for any players they receive in trades (i.e. Millar or Mora). They all ready have players with big contracts and just got rid of another with a big contract (Eric Milton) so I'm sure taking on someone else's contract is not going to fly with the Reds.

Bailey, Votto, Maloney, and Stubbs (or two other lower level but close to the majors prospects) is a fair deal for Bedard and I hope that's more along the lines of what both teams come to in the end. .

Change Bailey to Cueto and I'd do that deal for Bedard. Then trade Roberts and Mora (pick up a ton of his salary) maybe a few minor trades and call it an offseason.

one last thought about patience. We've got the goods here. I think from our recent trading history that we're not accustomed to being in this position of strength. I think a lot of Oriole fans think of the Bedard trade as the kickoff to a mountain of smaller deals, that everything else is on hold until this resolves. I think it should be the opposite if we want the best return for him. Haren is out, Kuroda is out, Santana is next. We want to be last! We can take calls from NY and Boston, help set the market higher for Bedard. Doesn't mean we have to deal with them in the end, but ultimately, their involvement will help one or two of the smaller market teams sweeten the pot. There is no reason we should not be demanding most any teams #1 prospect in trade for Bedard.

Could not have said it better. We are in the driver's seat and can afford to be very, very patient.

And what if the Reds decide we are asking for too much and go get Blanton instead???

Then it's the Mariners and whatever other team sees an opening.

It's nice to have teams in competition, but having the Dodgers, Mariners, and Reds fighting it out hasn't been enough to spring loose the key piece yet. Even if it just comes down to the Mariners, we can still keep the pressure on them with our fallback option -- we DON'T have to trade Bedard right away (and they DO) need pitching.

Besides, Beane obviously isn't shy about asking for plenty.

(EDIT: If it was me, I would be working real hard on increasing the value of the third piece from Cincy (and I would want Hamilton). Bruce isn't happening, I believe.

Then it's the Mariners and whatever other team sees an opening.

It's nice to have teams in competition, but having the Dodgers, Mariners, and Reds fighting it out hasn't been enough to spring loose the key piece yet. Even if it just comes down to the Mariners, we can still keep the pressure on them with our fallback option -- we DON'T have to trade Bedard right away (and they DO) need pitching.

Besides, Beane obviously isn't shy about asking for plenty.

But if only team is in it for Bedard, they likely won't give up as much.

Archived