Today's Cincinnati Enquirer -

TheBee

Oh, I know this... it wasn't my idea ;)

So this raises a question (and a legitimate one, IMO). If we end up doing this Cincinnati deal, how would we all feel about it?

Not bad. But I would rather get a real solid third piece instead of a marginal 3 and 4.

And I promise, this is the last time I'll toot this trumpet. But I would really like to get Hamilton back. He is available -- Krivsky has been shopping him. We would have to add significantly to the deal, but it would be worth doing.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
BUT you gotta wonder why Krivsky is shopping Hamilton. He's a great talent and cheap.

Bruce is probably ready to step in.

Obviously he is looking to get significant value back. He was talking about Willis before the Tigers' deal, and Sean Marshall (this according to articles linked on MLBTR). I would throw in Albers, or Patton. Heck I would consider a three-way deal of Roberts with the Cubs, sending Marshall to the Reds and the remainder coming back to the O's.

Yeah, I really like Hamilton.

Great post, seems you are very well-informed.

I like Hamilton a lot too. I do think there's a chance we see him at .970-plus OPS next season.

A couple of questions. Do you think the Reds see Bruce being ready to start in CF? And why would you see Hamilton moving to right? Any problems with his CF defense?

Yes Bruce will likely have to play CF for us this year (Assuming Hamilton is dealt) and is more than capable however as he fills out (he is only 20) and as others leave (Griffey) he will assume RF. My guess is that we will buy out Jr's '09 yr and let him move on and then make a play for a short term CF option if we haven't lucked into one by then. If we end up keeping Hamilton and barring injury to one of them (Jr, Dunn, Hamilton) Bruce stays in AAA. If we keep both and something completely unexpected happens Dunn in LF, Bruce in CF and Hamilton in RF or Hamilton in LF, Bruce in CF and Jr in RF.

The last one makes no sense but unfortunately Griffey won't be forced to LF where he would belong in that scenario based on the respect factor. Perhaps the following year if Dunn doesn't stick around but not next yr.

Hamilton has fair range in CF but not very good-elite and he hasn't been the best at reading the ball off the bat in part due to his long lay off. But it's not always the easiest to notice because of his fluidness and talent.

Yes Bruce will likely have to play CF for us this year (Assuming Hamilton is dealt) and is more than capable however as he fills out (he is only 20) and as others leave (Griffey) he will assume RF. My guess is that we will buy out Jr's '09 yr and let him move on and then make a play for a short term CF option if we haven't lucked into one by then. If we end up keeping Hamilton and barring injury to one of them (Jr' date=' Dunn, Hamilton) Bruce stays in AAA. If we keep both and something completely unexpected happens Dunn in LF, Bruce in CF and Hamilton in RF or Hamilton in LF, Bruce in CF and Jr in RF.[/quote']

I think someone already asked you this and forgive me if I missed the answer, but would the Reds, in your opinion, have interest in anyone else on the O's that could net us Hamilton besides Bedard?

I think someone already asked you this and forgive me if I missed the answer, but would the Reds, in your opinion, have interest in anyone else on the O's that could net us Hamilton besides Bedard?

I know you didn't ask me but I don't think they'd have interest in anyone else because there aren't many other holes in the lineup besides the starting pitching. The Reds need another solid starter so if they're going to deal with the O's, they're probably only dealing for Bedard.

Welcome to the board O'chested! It's nice to have another Reds fan here. :)

I have a question for you.... after getting up to speed on Hamilton, why is it that many of the proposed trades I see made by very respectable posters don't include him? He's proven MLB talent, not a prospect.... his personal issues appear to be behind him.... what am I missing?

From following every whisper that's been put out there, it's extremely obvious too me what it is that Macphail's intentions are. He wants at minimum the following IMVHO, in order from most important to lesser but still necc.

# 1- A young (key word there), inexpensive and potentially All-Star caliber OF (preferably a CF) that he can put in the middle of the lineup and build his offense around.

# 2- A young, inexpensive and potentially All Star caliber top of the rotation starter.

# 3- A young inexpensive and potentially All-Star caliber SS, I don't think this has to be an All-star but obviously he would prefer it but the guy has to be able to provide offense and at least be a respectable fielder. The bottom line is if you couple those 3 things, An Ace, A SS, CF and Weiters and you can see where he is going with this thing.

Certainly all 3 do not have to come from the same place as I think if for example they could get the SS from dealing Roberts they would consider a 2B or maybe a 3B in the Bedard deal. Obviously anything above and beyond those 3 things are just icing on the cake but they are of the utmoost importance. And if you look at what each team has to offer none are a perfect fit now that the Dodgers are out of it. They could have made the deal above anyone else because they had all 3 (Kemp,Kershaw and Hu), but they are certainly not going to do it at this point as they have a fine rotation and still have the youth. Seattle may be next if they are willing to part with Jones, Morrow and Truinfel (more of a 3B?) or Chen and a 4th player.

But to answer your question (and I am sorry I drug it out) Hamilton's drug/injury risk added to his age is the reason, he isn't as desirable if he were 20 he wouldn't be available. That said a package of Bailey/Cueto, Hamilton/Votto and whatever else is pretty daggone good and likely to be the most productive deal that you can actually get done. And the time to trade him is now because he had a pretty outstanding season (sans the injury) and he will give the team he is dealt to 2 years of production. Wait 1 more year and you likely get a whole lot less just based on the 1 yr left on his contract alone.

Welcome! It's always nice to hear insight from other fans. :)

Are there any starters (other than Bedard) that the Reds are targeting right now? Thanks in advance.

Blanton to a far lesser extent, it's almost not even an option. My feeling is that Krivsky understands he needs a guy who strikes guys out to combat our park and some OF defiencies. So really it behooves the O's and Red's to make this deal good for both.

There are some other low profile guys who would fit and could likely be dealt but it's not as good or as likely. Kazmir could be an alternative but it likely would cost us more for him, you know the D-Rays.

Bailey/Cueto and Votto must be in a Reds deal unless Bruce ends up being included.

How desperate and stupid is Krivsky? That is to be seen.

I really don't believe that would be a deal breaker, however he feels it easier to deal from our surplus in the OF. He is not stupid at all, he was the principal broker if you will in the A.J. Pierzynski deal to acquire Liriano, Bonser and Nathan for just A.J.

I really don't believe that would be a deal breaker' date=' however he feels it easier to deal from our surplus in the OF. He is not stupid at all, he was the principal broker if you will in the A.J. Pierzynski deal to acquire Liriano, Bonser and Nathan for just A.J.[/quote']

He has made a rash of poor decision in Cinci IMO, including the recent Cordero signing.

Fine, keep Votto....Bruce, Bailey or Cueto and another lesser prospect would be great.

I make that deal in a second.

He's also made a lot of good decisions such as getting Josh Hamilton in the first place, picking up Brandon Phillips, trading for Bronson Arroyo, and also getting Jared Burton in the Rule V draft. He's not a horrible GM and he's just trying to make the right deal for the Reds with this whole trade for Bedard thing. I'd rather have Wayne as a GM than Angelos as an owner, LOL ;)

He has made a rash of poor decision in Cinci IMO, including the recent Cordero signing.

Fine, keep Votto....Bruce, Bailey or Cueto and another lesser prospect would be great.

I make that deal in a second.

Not at all, I could argue all day about that but I won't get too deep into it. The Cordero signing was neccessary, call it our version of Detroit getting Pudge. Sometimes an ownership needs to make a commitment and as bad a deal as it was it was absolutely neccessary to tell the fan base, hey we mean business. And that isn't something Krivsky would do under normal circumstances, the owner Bob Castellini IMO is solely responsible for that one.

The only other move he was hammered for was Kearns/Lopez etc for Bray/Majewski etc. And while he did make a big mistake here in not following through on Majewski's medical reports well enough, he gave up very little as it turns out and Bray and Daryl Thompson still have a solid future. Bray in fact was a 1st round pick himself so he has the talent and the make-up to be an above avg LHP either as a closer or set-up man. So in the end Krivsky seems to always come out on top.

Add to that:

Jared Burton

Josh Hamilton

Brandon Phillips

Bronson Arroyo

He gave up 100K, Wily Mo Pena and a young pitcher who has a fair future as a 7th or 8th inning guy for that.

Tell me any decision that was poor that was his decision.

Archived