vs. DEVIL RAYS 9/13

OFFNY

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think this one just about buries the Rays. Think about being 4 games out with, what, 19 to play?

I wouldn't count too many chickens yet. The 1964 Phillies were 6-1/2 games in front of the Reds and Cards on September 20th, with just 12 games left to play. On September 27th, they were a game behind the Reds and a half game in front of the Cards. At the end of the season, the Phillies were tied with the Reds, a game behind the Cards.

That did require a historic collapse and Gene Mauch arguably fell apart down the stretch, starting Jim Bunning on just 2 days rest twice in the final week. If he'd kept Bunning on his normal 3-4 days rest, I think the Phillies could have hung on and captured the pennant.

The Rays are NOT out of this yet. That's a little bit silly IMO. I mean...they're starting a 3 game series with the Yankees tonite. They could make up ground like that especially with Baltimore going into a difficult series with the A's. Tampa's pitching is too good to discount them this soon. I mean truly.....too many games still need to be played to see where this goes. Plus the Rays take on Baltimore the last three games of the season in Tampa.

Thankfully...I will be there rooting on the Orioles at the Trop the last game of the regular season. :)

I was sitting in my car yesterday as the 8th-14th played out. Some of the time it was like a stakeout...sitting alone in the car in the corner of the parking lot, radio on, with donuts and...well, not coffee, but tea. I was trying not to cuss too loudly, though, since the windows were open. Finally caught up with the thread...wow.

Victims of dinks, dunks?

Can't hit to save their damned lives?

Os win anyway

Ended at fourteen

The streak of losing seasons

It wasn't easy

Headed to Oakland

The Coliseum of Doom

Needs to be conquered

Archived