That could be a death blow for Tampa

Frobby

I agree that it could be. This was a HUGE series for the Orioles. The fact that the Rays have a 3 game series against Baltimore at the end of the yera makes it not even close to eliminating them from this chase. It just makes our lead much more comfortable against them going into a very tough west coast stretch.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

O

The Yankees just won 2 games in a row for the first time in a month.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/NYY/2012-schedule-scores.shtml

They struggled against a faltering Red Sox team to get that elusive 2-game winning streak.

The Rays play the Yankees now ...... they have a chance to vault themselves back into contention for one of the wildcard spots.

Look, I know the Yankees and Red Sox are the worst enemy, but I decided today for the first time that I hate the Rays. I hate Joe Madden and I hate Evan Longoria. I really hate Robin Roberts. That guy hasn't hit all season other than against the Orioles. This is a post of respect.

I know it will be bad for the O's if this happens, but I'd love to see this also. The Angels or Tampa Bay? I really don't care who takes the second remaining wild card as long as:

1) The O's take the division

2) The MFY start their winter break early.

That said, todays game, while a good result, was also bad for both the O's and the Rays. An exhausted O's team is now flying across the country to face a red hot A's team, and an exhausted Rays team will be facing the MFY. Hopefully, the Red Sox can win, but preferably in a 30 inning game.

It wouldn't be bad for us. If Tampa sweeps NY we'll have at least a 1 game lead in the division.

Nah' date=' I'm definitely not a troll and am a Rays fan. I think Tampa leads every major statistical pitching category and they're going to most likely miss the playoffs. That should never happen.[/quote']

But it is probably going to. Because Joe Maddon is in love with making moves for moves sake.

Look, I know the Yankees and Red Sox are the worst enemy, but I decided today for the first time that I hate the Rays. I hate Joe Madden and I hate Evan Longoria. I really hate Robin Roberts. That guy hasn't hit all season other than against the Orioles. This is a post of respect.

Don't let Palmer hear you talkin' smack about Robin Roberts! :)

• 2 weeks later...
Eh, sort of. They still have a lot of ground to make up.

Oh, my bad. I was thinking that the Rays were battling with the Angels for the second wildcard spot, when in fact the team that they have to catch is the Athletics, who are 3 and-a-half games ahead of them.

Thanks, Frank.

Oh, my bad. I was thinking that the Rays were battling with the Angels for the second wildcard spot, when in fact the team that they have to catch is the Athletics, who are 3 and-a-half games ahead of them.

Thanks, Frank.

Well, the A's have a brutal schedule, so it could happen, but I'd call it a long shot.

Notice I said, "could be." But making up four games in 19 games, with their remaining schedule, will not be easy. The O's did themselves a tremendous service in this series.

Now let's go to Oakland and lay one on them!

4 games back with a whole month left to play would be tough. With only 19, it's over. No more "could be", they are done.

They're doing their darndest to prove Frobby's thread wrong but I still think they end up just short. Even if they win all remaining 10 games, they have to see the Angels lose a few against the Mariners. It's going to be very very tough but they're doing all the right things to keep in contention.

Plus.... they did it last year.

Evan-Longoria-Walk-Off-Homerun-Yankees-Rays-Wildcard-2011.png

Archived