Machado to Wear A Tutu and Green Dress

Slappy

Hazing is a throwback to initiation rituals in tribal cultures. It serves a purpose in those cultures. We don't currently have a tribal culture in our society except among adolescents. So I suppose for the arrested adolescents in the baseball clubhouses it has some meaning. I find it embarrassingly moronic myself. To each his own. If you want to be a professional baseball player and make a ton of money, I guess you have to pay the price of admission.

You clearly don't work in the movie business in LA.

Thank God they didn't make him wear swim fins with that otherwise reasonably tasteful ensemble! That would have been inexcusable...

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It has been brought up before, but it seems to really bug MM to get pied at the end of the game. Maybe this is wrong, but if it is right he needs to have the balls to say this is really getting up my noes and mouth and you guys need to lay off. Or it doesnt bother him, it just stinks to have to wipe it from every where.

Having serves a few purposes, such as bonding and harmless fun, but the main purpose of it (if it's taken seriously) is to put the new guys through something so unpleasant that you'll appreciate it when it's over, and you won't want to leave the team/fraternity on the drop of a hat. Something harmless like wearing stupid outfits probably won't be enough for that purpose, but some of the stuff that fraternities conduct is often enough.

It has been brought up before, but it seems to really bug MM to get pied at the end of the game. Maybe this is wrong, but if it is right he needs to have the balls to say this is really getting up my noes and mouth and you guys need to lay off. Or it doesnt bother him, it just stinks to have to wipe it from every where.

Yesterday he took it well. He saw Jonesy coming a mile away (since he was on the big screen and he was keeping one eye on it the entire time), and when he caught a glimpse of Jones coming he got a goofy smile on his face and put his hand behind his back in a "don't, I see you" kinda gesture. I don't think any of them like the physical sensation of getting pied, but I don't think they hate it because of what it represents.

Not sure if this is legit, but I'm posting it anyway because... :laughlol::laughlol::laughlol::laughlol:

For those that might not be aware, the team has been doing this for a long time...since at least when Cal Ripken was a rookie. It usually was the last series to Toronto because they wanted them to have to dress up going through customs...

It's not just Manny, it's supposed to be all the rookies, and it's harmless fun.

Hazing builds chemistry and brings the team together.

I promise you Manny would rather rinse some shaving cream off his face than be ignored by the Vets and try to fit in.

Buck has been around baseball way too long to let anything disrupt his club house. If Manny was upset the Buck-Truck would slam on the brakes.

All I saw was that photo and the story but it looks like Manny is wearing it with pride! That's the way to handle this kind of stuff. Those guys that get all bent out of shape need a dose of reality. It's a game! Have fun with it!

That's what I was gonna say. He looks like he has a strut going. Funny.

All I saw was that photo and the story but it looks like Manny is wearing it with pride! That's the way to handle this kind of stuff. Those guys that get all bent out of shape need a dose of reality. It's a game! Have fun with it!

You mean like when Armando Benitez threw a temper tantrum and refused to leave the clubhouse until he got his clothes back?

Stuff like this bothers me immensely because some guys are okay with it and just take it as a rite of initiation, but some guys aren't okay with it. And there is no right way to be. It's childish, though not in the good way of being childish. It's insincere, it has nothing to do with the "game", and to suggest that one group of players have "fun with it" at the expense of an individual that may be a part of another group of players is regrettable. It's unfortunate that our culture tolerates these sorts of things, because if you are the guy who *isn't* okay with it, you have one of two choices: do it and not be okay with it or not do it and be ostracized from the "team". It's a ridiculous choice to have to make propagated by long lineages of frat boys and mouth-breathers. Grow up.

Stuff like this bothers me immensely because some guys are okay with it and just take it as a rite of initiation, but some guys aren't okay with it. And there is no right way to be. It's childish, though not in the good way of being childish. It's insincere, it has nothing to do with the "game", and to suggest that one group of players have "fun with it" at the expense of an individual that may be a part of another group of players is regrettable. It's unfortunate that our culture tolerates these sorts of things, because if you are the guy who *isn't* okay with it, you have one of two choices: do it and not be okay with it or not do it and be ostracized from the "team". It's a ridiculous choice to have to make propagated by long lineages of frat boys and mouth-breathers. Grow up.

Let me guess. You got picked on a little bit.

I agree with the concept that hazing is idiotic. However, there is ZERO evidence to suggest that it has been detrimental to the team. As Buck said, they wouldn't have brought Manny up if they didn't feel the clubhouse would be a good environment for him.

Archived