Machado to Wear A Tutu and Green Dress

Slappy

Stuff like this bothers me immensely because some guys are okay with it and just take it as a rite of initiation, but some guys aren't okay with it. And there is no right way to be. It's childish, though not in the good way of being childish. It's insincere, it has nothing to do with the "game", and to suggest that one group of players have "fun with it" at the expense of an individual that may be a part of another group of players is regrettable. It's unfortunate that our culture tolerates these sorts of things, because if you are the guy who *isn't* okay with it, you have one of two choices: do it and not be okay with it or not do it and be ostracized from the "team". It's a ridiculous choice to have to make propagated by long lineages of frat boys and mouth-breathers. Grow up.

These guys aren't computer nerds being asked to join a frat. These are professional baseball players. Is it a bit immature? Sure. Is it also hilarious to see guys bound to make millions of dollars, are oozing with self confidence, and have been popular their entire lives face a little bit of humility? Absolutely.

Buck doesn't let these things go too far. Remember, he's the one who stopped the hazing of Wieters. There is certainly hazing that crosses a line, but this isn't it.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think it is pretty juvenile, but if it builds team chemistry, I say, whatever. This team has a good vibe and seems both relaxed and focused. Just win, baby.

I agree. Winning breeds fun and fun can help breed winning. Manny will get his licks in on Bundy and Hoes and the like next year. Hopefully he has fun and we're winning next year too.

I agree. Winning breeds fun and fun can help breed winning. Manny will get his licks in on Bundy and Hoes and the like next year. Hopefully he has fun and we're winning next year too.

This. Nothing wrong with it IMO.

Also, if a guy is so fragile that he can't handle a pie in the face or a little bit of harmless hazing, then is it really worth keeping him in the cocoon and protecting him? Not a guy I would be that excited about having on my team.

I guess I'm in the stick in the mud camp. Put me down that hazing is stupid. After all the moronic stuff I saw in the Navy I was thrilled when they came up with with zero tolerance policy for it. It has no place in a professional organization imo.

Don't get me wrong, I think there is a line, you don't want to ever create animosity or have someone get hurt. Maybe my proverbial line is just a little further away than some other peoples.

At least this juvenile and silly, rather than violent or some sort of physical hazing.

This.

It seems to me like it's good, clean fun. Besides, the team seems focused enough on the serious business of winning baseball games that they wouldn't let extracurricular interfere with clubhouse cohesion.

Guest rochester
Let me guess. You got picked on a little bit.

First I went :eek: which changed quickly to this :rofl: and this :clap3: then :puke: except it was coffee

I agree with the concept that hazing is idiotic. However, there is ZERO evidence to suggest that it has been detrimental to the team. As Buck said, they wouldn't have brought Manny up if they didn't feel the clubhouse would be a good environment for him.
What was it that was going on with Wieters that Buck put a stop to, and how was it different from thes hazings?

What was it that was going on with Wieters that Buck put a stop to, and how was it different from thes hazings?

IIRC, it wasn't reported in detail but Buck had to tell some of the guys at the time to knock it off. IIRC, he was annoyed with them cause they were hazing him and being a catcher is tough enough...being a catcher that's a hyped prospect and trying to handle a staff was a lot to handle as it was. That, and Wieters was already being a team leader of sorts.

Archived