Escobar's Anti-Gay Eye Black Slur

osbaseball08

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have nothing against neither gay people nor free speech.

Given today's environment of political correctness, this was a pretty stupid thing for a person in the public eye to do. But, that does not alter his right to speak on any subject he chooses nor to make whatever statement he feels is important.

This is America.

I think the key thing here, PR wise, is that Escobars trangression happened at the ballpark, where he is in the public eye and representing his team. KRod was suspended after assaulting family in the clubhouse. Had Escobar used the term on Twitter while home, I doubt he gets 3 games.

I should have read this first. You make an excellent point about representing the team.

Given today's environment of political correctness, this was a pretty stupid thing for a person in the public eye to do. But, that does not alter his right to speak on any subject he chooses nor to make whatever statement he feels is important.

This is America.

Free speech certainly doesn't apply when you are representing an employer, if he had been working a normal everyday job and showed up with a slur written on a shirt, he likely would have been terminated immediately. And I'd point out that just because you have free speech doesn't mean you should use it to act like a backwards douchebag.

Also, nitpicky, but this actually isn't America, considering it happened in Toronto (not to imply that Canada doesn't have free speech).

This is America.

MLB is privately owned. They can discipline their employees at their own discretion.

The punishment should have been more severe IMO.

This is America.

The government didn't violate his freedom of speech.

When does this suspension start? Let me guess, he'll miss the Yankee series and no other time?

It is a team suspension not an MLB one. I don't think appealing is an option.

I wonder how much playing time they will give him the rest of the way. He is an obvious non-tender candidate in the offseason.

Archived