Complete List of O's Players Eligible for Rule 5 Draft

Oldorioles

Thought it might be a good time to consider which players we should protect from the Rule 5 draft. I think this is a complete list of players eligible. I've broken it down by the team they primarily played with last year. I do realize players being drafted from below AA are extremely rare and I also know several AAA and AA players will be minor league free agents, just thought I should provide a complete list as of now. I've put players in BOLD who I feel deserve at least some consideration.

Norfolk:

Waring, C. Robinson, Booker, Pridie, McCutchen

Bowie:

Wheeler, Widlansky, Welty, B. Britton, Egan, Zagone, Joseph, Ward, B. Bundy, Gamboa, Bascom, Gleason, Lambert

Frederick:

A. Baker, Kelly, Townsend, Rosa, Gurka, R. Berry , San Miguel, Walters, O'Shea, Tolliver, Bumbry, Flacco, S. Thomas, Stifler, Loomis, Meyer

Delmarva:

Webb, Petersime, Planeta, Givens, Beal, Louico, Leonora

Aberdeen:

Jor. Rivera, Mota, P. Perez, Nivar

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It is 5 years in the organization for folks signed under 18 right? Earliest listing I see for Schoop is 2009 DSL. Does the date actually start when he signed instead of when he played?

Great question CoC. I went back and looked at his signing date. He signed on 8/17/2008. He was actually 16 years old when he signed (born 10/16/1991). As I understand it, he would have to be with the organization for five years to be eligible, since he was 18 or younger. Not sure if that's the date or seasons played, but in either case he wouldn't have the five years. I'll go back and amend the OP. Thank you for pointing this out.

Norfolk:

Hughes, Adams, Waring, Paulino, B. Davis, Eveland, Villareal, Burke, Rundles, Hoffman, Hall, J. Miller, C. Robinson, Beerer, Booker

Bowie:

Wheeler, Widlansky, Welty, B. Britton, Z. Clark, Egan, Newby, Zagone, Joseph, Richardson, Ward, B. Bundy, Belfiore, Hinton, Gamboa, Bascom, Viola, Gleason, Lambert, Barfield

Frederick:

Baker, Kelly, Townsend, Rosa, Gurka, R. Berry , San Miguel, Beaulac, Walters, O'Shea, Tolliver, Bumbry, Flacco, Adair, S. Thomas, Stifler, Loomis, Erbe, Melendez

Delmarva:

Aberdeen:

Wilkins, Weems, Jor. Rivera, Mota, P. Perez, Rowell, Nivar

I bet a couple of the above names are added.

Don't know why Eveland falls in to the consideration category. Just cut bait.

I wouldn't protect Joseph as no one keeps a spot for a rule 5 catcher.

For me, Kelly, Burke, and Newby would probably be protection worthy, but I wouldn't be upset if the pitchers were left exposed.

Norfolk:

Hughes, Adams, Waring, Paulino, B. Davis, Eveland, Villareal, Burke, Rundles, Hoffman, Hall, J. Miller, C. Robinson, Beerer, Booker

Bowie:

Wheeler, Widlansky, Welty, B. Britton, Z. Clark, Egan, Newby, Zagone, Joseph, Richardson, Ward, B. Bundy, Belfiore, Hinton, Gamboa, Bascom, Viola, Gleason, Lambert, Barfield

Frederick:

Baker, Kelly, Townsend, Rosa, Gurka, R. Berry , San Miguel, Beaulac, Walters, O'Shea, Tolliver, Bumbry, Flacco, Adair, S. Thomas, Stifler, Loomis, Erbe, Melendez

Delmarva:

Aberdeen:

And to add to this, most of these guys are MiLB FA so they won't be eligible for Rule 5.

I'd like to protect Belfiore, al eft handed reliever with some interesting numbers. He's the kind of guy that could get kept and hidden in someone's pen.

I like Belfiore enough to protect him as well. That's really it though.

Newby, Waring and Joseph deserve a tiny bit of consideration, but I really don't see anybody taking them.

Thought it might be a good time to consider which players we should protect from the Rule 5 draft. I think this is a complete list of players eligible. I've broken it down by the team they primarily played with last year. I do realize players being drafted from below AA are extremely rare and I also know several AAA and AA players will be minor league free agents, just thought I should provide a complete list as of now. I've put players in BOLD who I feel deserve at least some consideration.

Norfolk:

Bowie:

Frederick:

Delmarva:

Aberdeen:

Zach Clark is in AAA-Norfolk.

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=503483

Yes, but he played primarily at Howie so I put him there. Many of these players played at multiple levels so I thought to make it consistent I would list them under the club for which they played the most games.

Considering that Clark pitched as much as he did and as well as he did at Norfolk, I believe that he is considered a Tide. He had a 1.75 ERA in 46.33 innings pitched, including a complete-game shutout for them on the last game of the season. Plus, he finished the whole last month of the season with them (the Tides.)

Considering that Clark pitched as much as he did and as well as he did at Norfolk, I believe that he is considered a Tide. He had a 1.75 ERA in 46.33 innings pitched, including a complete-game shutout for them on the last game of the season. Plus, he finished the whole last month of the season with them (the Tides.)

You are really arguing about where he should be placed on a list? You completely missed the point of the thread and have added nothing productive to the conversation as to who in the farm system should be protected.

Archived