Complete List of O's Players Eligible for Rule 5 Draft

Oldorioles

You are really arguing about where he should be placed on a list? You completely missed the point of the thread and have added nothing productive to the conversation as to who in the farm system should be protected.

I didn't miss any point. Clarke was the hottest starting pitcher for the Tides when the season closed, and I think that he should be recognized for the way that he pitched ...... and protected, along with Rick Zagone.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I didn't miss any point. Clarke was the hottest starting pitcher for the Tides when the season closed, and I think that he should be recognized for the way that he pitched ...... and protected, along with Rick Zagone.

So, do you think that Zach Clark should be placed on the 40 man roster or the AAA roster? I think he definitely should be placed on the AAA roster to protect him from the Rule V minor league draft. There is no way that he is going to be placed on the 40 man roster IMO-because he is 29 years old and has already passed through the draft many times. He may get a cup of coffee sometime-but is not really a prospect at this point. He is a minor league lifer and those types of players generally do not get protected on the 40 man roster. If he does make the majors someday, he is the type of player that you DFA in order to be able to protect more highly regarded players. I think that Belfiore may be the only one that is placed on the 40 man roster and that might not even happen.

So, do you think that Zach Clark should be placed on the 40 man roster or the AAA roster? I think he definitely should be placed on the AAA roster to protect him from the Rule V minor league draft. There is no way that he is going to be placed on the 40 man roster IMO-because he is 29 years old and has already passed through the draft many times. He may get a cup of coffee sometime-but is not really a prospect at this point. He is a minor league lifer and those types of players generally do not get protected on the 40 man roster. If he does make the majors someday, he is the type of player that you DFA in order to be able to protect more highly regarded players. I think that Belfiore may be the only one that is placed on the 40 man roster and that might not even happen.

Clark is a minor league free agent so he isn't even eligible for the Rule 5 unless he resigns early in the offseason.

Clark is a minor league free agent so he isn't even eligible for the Rule 5 unless he resigns early in the offseason.

He would not be a minor league free agent if placed on the 40 man roster by the deadline(not sure what that date is). Of course, this is irrelevant because no matter what he is not being protected on the 40 man roster.

Yes, but he played primarily at Howie so I put him there. Many of these players played at multiple levels so I thought to make it consistent I would list them under the club for which they played the most games.
You are really arguing about where he should be placed on a list? You completely missed the point of the thread and have added nothing productive to the conversation as to who in the farm system should be protected.

Look, I'm sorry if I took away from the context of the thread.

I'm just particularly high on both Zach Clark and Rick Zagone as "sleeper" type of pitchers that are late bloomers (especially Clark), and want to see them get their chance in the majors before being written off.

I wouldn't protect Joseph as no one keeps a spot for a rule 5 catcher.

I'm not questioning this to be argumentative or because I think you're wrong.

I am however wondering why this is correct? It would seem to me that teams occasionally keep a 3rd catcher around, pinch-hitting him sometimes. In that case a Rule5 guy would seem to me to make a lot of sense. Why are Rule5 catchers so rare? Is it more that teams rarely keep a 3rd catcher or that they just don't want a Rule5 guy in that role?

Belfiore is exactly the stereotypical guy who gets taken in the rule 5 - power bullpen arm. And he's lefthanded to boot. I think he's gonna get picked for sure if he's not protected.

I'd like to keep Bundy, Joseph, Kelly, and Clark around, but the first two are not going to get taken, and Kelly is unlikely.

I think protecting Belfiore should be a priority, and Clark should depending on the 40-man situation.

Belfiore is exactly the stereotypical guy who gets taken in the rule 5 - power bullpen arm. And he's lefthanded to boot. I think he's gonna get picked for sure if he's not protected.

I'd like to keep Bundy, Joseph, Kelly, and Clark around, but the first two are not going to get taken, and Kelly is unlikely.

I think protecting Belfiore should be a priority, and Clark should depending on the 40-man situation.

The Orioles have a surplus of ready/nearly ready arms. The MLB roster is stuffed full of guys that will be around next year. I personally wouldn't be surprised if they extended Saunders as well. But I just dont think they have to worry about a long shot guy like Clark. I personally like Zagone But these guys really arent anything more than AAA depth type guys.

After looking at all the replies, I was trying to think how there isn't anyone worth protecting, but then I realized we already added Avery, Hoes, and Steve Johnson the the roster this year.

On the 40 man roster (and 60 Day DL), the Orioles have 45 players (21 pitchers, 24 position). 4 out of 5 60 Day DL guys will be reinstated to the active roster (Nick Johnson will be a free agent). Of the 21 pitchers, only Wolf and Saunders are free agents (note: Ayala has $1M option likely to be picked up), while Phillips could be DFA'ed. Of the 24 position players, Thome, McLouth, and Chavez are free agents, while Quintanilla, Tolleson, Ford, and Mahoney are all options to be DFA'ed.

So at the end of the season, the Orioles will only gain one spot from free agents & 60 Day DL reinstatements, leaving the 40 man at 39 before other moves are made.

So at the end of the season, the Orioles will only gain one spot from free agents & 60 Day DL reinstatements, leaving the 40 man at 39 before other moves are made.

Great point, it's entirely possible that the O's choose not to protect any additional players to keep some roster flexibility. Should be interesting...

Archived