Some News

Peace21

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would it add value to the deal to swap Sexson for Huff as well? They'd get a more productive player and spread the money owed over 2 years instead of paying it all in 2008. The O's could take the hit in 08 and be rid of Sexson and his contract after one year at most.

Would it add value to the deal to swap Sexson for Huff as well? They'd get a more productive player and spread the money owed over 2 years instead of paying it all in 2008. The O's could take the hit in 08 and be rid of Sexson and his contract after one year at most.
I'm not sure it would make a lot of difference. Just taking on Sexson certainly would, and if the offers are either Jones and Clement or Jones, Clement, Balantien and Sexson, I'm definitely taking the latter. I don't think thats the case though, but we probably could get someone like Sherill added in just for taking Sexson's contract. I'd probably go for that and then just release Sexson (or keep him and cross my fingers for a big first half if we are able to deal Millar and/or Huff elsewhere).

I would think there is a chance Sexon could be a type A, even though offering him arbitration would be a problem. But a 40+ Hr season someone might want to offer a multiyear deal for him.
Very, very little chance of Sexson being a Type A. Or Type B for that matter.

I know we are on PR damage control with Huff, but Sexson has been dreadful while Huff was actually pretty good in the second half, he hit .300 and had OPS right under 900. Sexson makes 14 million this year and was waiver bait last year.

Very, very little chance of Sexson being a Type A. Or Type B for that matter.

I am not do sure about that. Currently Millar is a type A player and there is a resonable chance Sexson could rebound to a 900 OPS 35+ hr player. He is a 32 year old not a 36 YO player so it is not out of the question. Even though it is unlikely.

I know we are on PR damage control with Huff, but Sexson has been dreadful while Huff was actually pretty good in the second half, he hit .300 and had OPS right under 900. Sexson makes 14 million this year and was waiver bait last year.

That's my point, Huff would make their team better, essentially the same money as Sexson but it would be spread across two seasons enabling them to have more $$$ to go after a free agent. That should enable the O's to get more in the package for Bedard and all they have to do is eat a big ugly contract for one season when they aren't going anywhere anyway.

I am not do sure about that. Currently Millar is a type A player and there is a resonable chance Sexson could rebound to a 900 OPS 35+ hr player. He is a 32 year old not a 36 YO player so it is not out of the question. Even though it is unlikely.

Very unlikely. His career has had a very typical progression. Age 28-30 peak, gradual decline that seems to have accelerated the last couple years. I'd put odds on him bouncing back to reasonably near his peak at 20:1 against. Much better chance of him not being in MLB in 2009.

Very unlikely. His career has had a very typical progression. Age 28-30 peak, gradual decline that seems to have accelerated the last couple years. I'd put odds on him bouncing back to reasonably near his peak at 20:1 against. Much better chance of him not being in MLB in 2009.

That is why I said unlikely. But i would think that last season was significantly below the expected age preformance curve so some rebound is not a crazy idea. Expecting it would be a crazy idea, I agree.

Archived