Some News

Peace21

I am a Dodgers fan, and I am absolutely thrilled w/ the moves Coletti made or didn't make. Even if the Dodgers finished 4th again this year I'm ok with it.

We will still have Kershaw (who if even he lives up to 80% of his hype will be the best Dodger pitcher since Fernando & Orel), Kemp (who if he keeps progressing the way he has will be a 30-30 guy for 6-8 years) & LaRoche (who I am the most excited about, his minor league potential was better thought of than Kemp, Martin & Loney).

If we were able to pull off a D-Backs trade where we didnt give up anyone who is projected to be a starter this season or our #1 prospect, then I would upset. But I doubt that most of O's fans would be ok w/ a trade of Elbert, Hu, DeWitt, Meloan & McDonald.

If Kuroda doesnt do anything this next season then we are out only money. And if the Dodger's FO thinks we need to make a trade mid season we will still have all the minor leaguers to pull one off. And if Elbert comes back healthy along w/ B. Morris that will just bolster our tradeable commodites.

The Dodgers have a wealth of young talent but they are sort of built to win now as well and with Torre there, settling for 4th place isn't going to fly.

At some point, the idea is winning becomes important.

It is great to have the incredible MiL system and young ML talent but at some point, you need to piece some of that off and get the guys that put you over the top.

If i were the Dodgers, Loney is probably the only guy I would say is off limits.

Even Kemp, as good as he may be, has a very solid back up in Ethier and right now, Ethier may be the better player.

I think sometimes fans and organizations get so excited with their young players and the POTENTIAL of them and forget the fact that winning is what is the important thing.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am a Dodgers fan, and I am absolutely thrilled w/ the moves Coletti made or didn't make. Even if the Dodgers finished 4th again this year I'm ok with it..

Dude, you should be pissed! Bedard in an L.A. uniform gives you a stopper. Prospects ain't worth much...few make it.

Look at the top prospects of the past 10 yrs....recognize any of them.

Anyone remember the great Brian Taylor?

Dude, you should be pissed! Bedard in an L.A. uniform gives you a stopper. Prospects ain't worth much...few make it.

Look at the top prospects of the past 10 yrs....recognize any of them.

Anyone remember the great Brian Taylor?

You are arguing with a Dodgers fan who sees contributions from Ethier, Loney, Kemp and Martin and is watching Hu, LaRoche and Kershaw move nicely through the system.

GMs all over baseball have been making efforts to deal prospects and upgrade to Haren, Santanta and Bedard. If the Dodgers fan is okay with keeping the prospects and missing the playoffs, that's the way it is.

You are arguing with a Dodgers fan who sees contributions from Ethier, Loney, Kemp and Martin and is watching Hu, LaRoche and Kershaw move nicely through the system.

GMs all over baseball have been making efforts to deal prospects and upgrade to Haren, Santanta and Bedard. If the Dodgers fan is okay with keeping the prospects and missing the playoffs, that's the way it is.

Most Dodgers fans believe they will have their cake and eat it to.

I already outlined why most Dodgers fans are quite confident that they will make the playoffs in 2008.

So, based on 2007 performances of both the Dodgers and the National League at large, barring several injuries/down years, the Dodgers should win in the high 80s to low 90s. The Dodgers were headed towards the high 80s last year until Little lost the club and a late season collapse.

In 2009, several of the players the Orioles fans have been asking for will be playing for the big club and the others will have another year under their belt.

Also keep in mind that this is NOT the AL. No NL team had more than 90 wins last year.

The Dodgers only have to take a small step forward this year and they are well-positioned to do so.

I already outlined why most Dodgers fans are quite confident that they will make the playoffs in 2008.

So, based on 2007 performances of both the Dodgers and the National League at large, barring several injuries/down years, the Dodgers should win in the high 80s to low 90s. The Dodgers were headed towards the high 80s last year until Little lost the club and a late season collapse.

In 2009, several of the players the Orioles fans have been asking for will be playing for the big club and the others will have another year under their belt.

Also keep in mind that this is NOT the AL. No NL team had more than 90 wins last year.

The Dodgers only have to take a small step forward this year and they are well-positioned to do so.

Personally, i will be shocked if they don't make the playoffs.

However, if they had Bedard, i think they may be the best team in the NL and arguably in all of baseball.

They do have a lot of injury questions in their rotation.

With the exception of LaRoche all the young players the Dodgers will be starting this year have had success in more than token ABs or innings at the Major League level. The prospects will play a role in 2009 and beyond.

The Dodgers had the best record in the National League in late July, won 82 games last year and that is despite:

Grady Little's small leadership

30 starts by Hendrickson and Tomko

100s of wasted ABs on Gonzalez, Nomar, Saenz, Betemit, etc.

Replace that with starts by Billingsley and Kuroda

Replace the ABs with Jones, Kemp, Loney, Ethier, and maybe LaRoche.

Add in Joe Torre

That has to mean another at least another eight wins and a playoff spot.

If Billingsley takes the next step, a Penny, Billingsley, Lowe front three in the playoffs would not be bad. Certainly as good as the Mets, Phils, Rockies, Cubs, etc.

Sounds they're set. Now how about moving Bedard to one of your competitors for the NL crown?

However, if they had Bedard, i think they may be the best team in the NL and arguably in all of baseball.

Agree with you about the NL, but in all of baseball?! No way! Red Sox and Detroit, easily. Depending on the young pitchers for the MFY they could be better also.

I think the biggest sign of weakness in the NL is that, except for the DBacks, every team that contended last year did so because they got hot at the end. If ANY NL team really tried to build a great team, I feel like they could contend pretty easily. Cubs, Phils, and Colorado were barely mentioned in postseason talk all year, but all 3 were hot at the end and thats really all that mattered. AND DBacks probably just had a lucky year on top of that judging by their runs allowed and runs scored.

Good luck to you. Your organization is much more competitive than ours and has a strong minor league system, but I don't think it's a playoff team. I don't think they will win the division and I don't think the wild card will come from the NL West this year.

We'll re-visit this in October and see who is correct.

I can agree with that and although Colletti is unlikely to make the multiple moves needed to bring in Bedard, I would do what it takes to get him.

Good luck to you. Your organization is much more competitive than ours and has a strong minor league system, but I don't think it's a playoff team. I don't think they will win the division and I don't think the wild card will come from the NL West this year.

We'll re-visit this in October and see who is correct.

They will not be a playoff team if Kemp turns out to be worse than Luis Gonzalez or Billingsley does not pitch better than Tomko or Loney/LaRoche are not better than Saenz/Nomar/Betemit. They are all young, so you never know!

Because those teams have top, young improving talent, with a system and coaches that allows/encourages them to develop year to year. We don't.

I know the Orioles don't. I was speaking about the Dodgers.

you act like its an absolute that their "core group" of players will improve.

Who is likely to do so much better next season? Do you think Lowe and Penny will be better?

Penny had a career year and is likely to regress. But they wasted a lot of at bats on Nomar and Luis Gonzalez at the expense of Loney and Kemp. That shouldn't happen again. Billingsley was losing starts to Mark Hendrickson, that shouldn't happen again. Furcal had a down year. They had all sorts of problems at 3B (maybe Nomar or LaRoche helps that). Schmidt gave them nothing. They've added Andruw Jones and Kuroda. There are lots of ways for the Dogers to improve. And it does help that both the D-Backs and Rockies overachieved based on their underlying stats. You'd expect some natural regression from them. The Padres are the more worrisome team, but they have financial issues.

They will not be a playoff team if Kemp turns out to be worse than Luis Gonzalez or Billingsley does not pitch better than Tomko or Loney/LaRoche are not better than Saenz/Nomar/Betemit. They are all young, so you never know!

Kemp's already better than Luis Gonzalez. Billingsley's already better than Tomko. Where not talking about unknowns here. These guys have done well at the big league level in decent amounts of time. Sure, you can't account for those fluke years. I mean before 2007, people thought Andruw Jones was pretty good. Then he bottomed out. Just like Mike Lowell did a few years back and Florida couldn't give him away. Yuo never know exactly what you're going to get from anyone. But you act like young=unknown and veteran=proven, when that's not really true at all.

I know the Orioles don't. I was speaking about the Dodgers.

Penny had a career year and is likely to regress. But they wasted a lot of at bats on Nomar and Luis Gonzalez at the expense of Loney and Kemp. That shouldn't happen again. Billingsley was losing starts to Mark Hendrickson, that shouldn't happen again. Furcal had a down year. They had all sorts of problems at 3B (maybe Nomar or LaRoche helps that). Schmidt gave them nothing. They've added Andruw Jones and Kuroda. There are lots of ways for the Dogers to improve. And it does help that both the D-Backs and Rockies overachieved based on their underlying stats. You'd expect some natural regression from them. The Padres are the more worrisome team, but they have financial issues.

Kemp's already better than Luis Gonzalez. Billingsley's already better than Tomko. Where not talking about unknowns here. These guys have done well at the big league level in decent amounts of time. Sure, you can't account for those fluke years. I mean before 2007, people thought Andruw Jones was pretty good. Then he bottomed out. Just like Mike Lowell did a few years back and Florida couldn't give him away. Yuo never know exactly what you're going to get from anyone. But you act like young=unknown and veteran=proven, when that's not really true at all.

Danger, Danger, Danger----Kemp and Loney (Tho I think less likely) are due the soph jinx as the league catches up. Kemp in particular does not appear to have plate discipline-----Loney, on the other hand , well he will probably ALMOST maintain....Look for about a .070 drop in OPS between the 2---still doesn't make them chopped liver.....just don't expect improvement because of the added experience.

You'd be shocked if a team that finished fourth in their division *didn't* make the playoffs a year later?

Frankly the Dodgers, Pads, Rox, and DBacks could finish in just about any order and nobody should be the least surprised, let alone shocked.

You'd be shocked if a team that finished fourth in their division *didn't* make the playoffs a year later?

Frankly the Dodgers, Pads, Rox, and DBacks could finish in just about any order and nobody should be the least surprised, let alone shocked.

agreed. They're all very good teams. None great. The possible exception is the DBacks, who may prove to be a step above the rest. But the only thing that would shock me in that division would be the Giants finishing above 4th.

Archived