Maryland @ #8 West Virginia

Munson

They probably played their best all around game today. Lots of things to be impressed by, starting with the defense. Front 7 especially. I thought the offense was its sharpest, too. Locksley had a good game plan, and Hills took a big step forward. Definitely a very encouraging game.

Only quibbles starts with -- HANG ON TO THE FOOTBALL. My goodness. Just hold on to it. Every skill position player on the team better walk around with a ball 24/7. Class. Dinner. Gym. Shower. Their girlfriend's room. They all better hold on to a ball every minute of every day leading up to the Wake game.

And again, the clock management at the end of the first half. They had two timeouts. Take a shot for a few more yards. I said the same thing last week when the Patriots tried to settle up for a 40-something yard field goal. Those simply aren't gimmes. If you have the chance, try to get a few more yards and make it easier. Terps didn't, and walked off the field with two timeouts and no points. Just try, that's all I'm saying. But don't just settle up and hope you make a long kick. Those timeouts don't carry over.

All in all though, good game. Moral victories don't get you any closer to a bowl game. But there's a lot to build off of from this one. Huge step forward.

I agree John. The front seven was really good. They knocked Geno Smith around pretty good today. They also did a great job of shutting down the running game. On the offensive side of the ball, Hills or somebody needs to recognize the blitz. Too many defensive backs had a free run at the QB.

And again, the clock management at the end of the first half. They had two timeouts. Take a shot for a few more yards. I said the same thing last week when the Patriots tried to settle up for a 40-something yard field goal. Those simply aren't gimmes. If you have the chance, try to get a few more yards and make it easier. Terps didn't, and walked off the field with two timeouts and no points. Just try, that's all I'm saying. But don't just settle up and hope you make a long kick. Those timeouts don't carry over.

If Edsall runs a play to put the ball in the center of the hash marks, instead of near the right hash mark, he makes that kick. Completely inexcusable unless the kicker actually wanted the ball there which I highly doubt.

If Edsall runs a play to put the ball in the center of the hash marks, instead of near the right hash mark, he makes that kick. Completely inexcusable unless the kicker actually wanted the ball there which I highly doubt.

I certainly am not a placekicker, but I've heard several say the prefer the ball on the right hash. It's a more natural motion since you're kicking across the body.

Archived