I think they hit Andino on purpose.

LookinUp

Yes... you are reaching, unless you have special powers to know exactly what motivates Valentine to call for a pitcher to hit an opposing player when the game is definitely still in reach.

I don't have special powers, but we make such conjectures about other people's minds constantly everyday and are often right. Valentine is a recognizable personality--it's why so many people immediately don't like him--and he's been managing in a very difficult, even humiliating situation this season that he's failed to make any better despite the FO dumping some of his more difficult players. He can't win; he can only try to rescue some of his esteem through other means.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bobby V is a coward and a douche-bag. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if he put "the hit" on. Would surprise me even less if he thought "that's just good baseball."

On one hand I want to see him jobless on the other hand I like the fact that he is single-handily destroying a division rival in the Red Sox.

Please don't fire him. This is too much fun.

That just doesn't make sense. Even if I believed anything you just said, there were 3 other ABs where he could have plunked Andino without giving up on the game.

I am not saying they meant to hit him in the head but based on the rest of his control that entire inning the HBP was intentional.

That just doesn't make sense. Even if I believed anything you just said, there were 3 other ABs where he could have plunked Andino without giving up on the game.

They have 5 more games against us to hit him. Plenty of opportunities.

Read the OP again. I didn't start this thread just because it was Andino who got hit. I started it because I saw the catcher jump up while the ball was in flight as if he was anticipating the entire thing. If you haven't seen the side angle replay yet, take a look and tell me his reaction wasn't one of a man anticipating the batter getting hit and having to break it up. That's my evidence.

Well, Andino DID get on base all 3 times tonight prior to getting hit (2 singles and a walk.)

That could have played a factor in it (combined with Andino's heroics and antics in the final game of last season.)

I am not saying they meant to hit him in the head but based on the rest of his control that entire inning the HBP was intentional.

I just don't see it. Why hit someone when you are 1 pitch away from sitting them down? Why put someone on base when down 2 in the top of the 9th?

A pitch got away from Melancon. It happens.

Well, Andino DID get on base all 3 times tonight prior to getting hit (2 singles and a walk.)

That could have played a factor in it (combined with Andino's heroics and antics in the final game of last season.)

So... the best time to retaliate for last season was with 2 outs, a 1-2 count, down 4-2 in the top of the 9th in Fenway?

They could have hit him any time in the prior 12 games and 3 ABs. There's no way they do it in that spot.

So... the best time to retaliate for last season was with 2 outs, a 1-2 count, down 4-2 in the top of the 9th in Fenway?

They could have hit him any time in the prior 12 games and 3 ABs. There's no way they do it in that spot.

There's no way you can convince me that the Red Sox would hold back on hitting him due to their undying desire to win the game. Like other posters have said, if you can do it in a situation where you could plausibly deny it (we were trying to win!) there's less of a chance of getting found out.

The bastards hit him. On purpose. I want blood.

I said that Andino was one base all 3 times tonight. And I said that could have been a factor, combined with what happened last year. Did you miss that part of my post ?

Also, the Red Sox were not helplessly out of the pennant race in the first 9 games that we played againt them this year, as they are now. And they were only 2 games under .500 (57-59) in the most recent series.

You can throw your logic out for at least those first 9 games, because unlike now, the Red Sox had something to play for in those 9 games.

My thing would be to look at the situation, rather than to figure out why in that spot. Dude showed good control all AB and all inning. All of a sudden on an 0-2 count he grooves a FB like that? I would understand an off speed offering, but a FB?

I'm not sure if we can say with CERTAINTY that it was for sure one way or another. IMO he hit him on purpose from the way it looked. Not sure the reason to do it at that particular moment, but it looked purposeful to me.

Archived