I think they hit Andino on purpose.

LookinUp

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was intentional as was drilling AJ the night after he took out Saltalamachia at home in Baltimore during our last series. I'm convinced Valentine is baiting us, trying to draw us into a scuffle where you risk injury or suspensions.

At this point, you just have bite your lip, go play ball really, really hard and wait until the moment is right to retaliate. Believe me, retaliation is coming. Buck said as much after AJ was drilled when he said postgame that "we'll file it away". We just have to pick our spot very wisely being in this race. I seriously doubt anything happens the rest of this year. Bigger fish to fry, I just hope Valentine and Boston stop trying to bait us. There would come a point where you just have to protect your players despite everything else. You can't let them throw at your players every night with no retaliation.

I just don't see it. Why hit someone when you are 1 pitch away from sitting them down? Why put someone on base when down 2 in the top of the 9th?

A pitch got away from Melancon. It happens.

It is my observation that a lot of HBP's come on two-strike counts. At the time it happened, I didn't think it was intentional, but reading this thread has changed my mind.

What should we do about it? Nothing, IMO. Just beat the crap out of them on the field on the way to making the playoffs. And smirk when Bobby V. gets fired the day after the season ends. He's done as a major league manager and that's retribution enough for me. Just win, baby.

Watch the replay. Watch the catcher. He was up and prepared to chase Andino right away. It wasn't a "hey, you alright man" reaction. It was an "I'm ready to catch you" reaction.

That's what I saw anyway. Agree?

I'm sure you are passionate about it but I think you are seeing what you want to believe happened; not what actually happened. Here's the video:

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=24975755&c_id=mlb

At that point in the game it doesn't make any sense for Melancon to drill him intentionally.

The catcher is still in full squat when the ball hits Andino and reaches upwards in an attempt to catch the ball.

Conspiracy theories abound. Let cooler heads prevail. Retaliation runs the risk of suspensions and/or injuries. It's not worth it.

If we can't retaliate because we're in the playoff hunt I think the least the Os players can do is release a series of Tweets and Facebook posts celebrating Valentine's offseason job as the star of a certain type of show in Mexico that involves a donkey and gratuitous calistetics.

Done...

It is my observation that a lot of HBP's come on two-strike counts. At the time it happened, I didn't think it was intentional, but reading this thread has changed my mind.

What should we do about it? Nothing, IMO. Just beat the crap out of them on the field on the way to making the playoffs. And smirk when Bobby V. gets fired the day after the season ends. He's done as a major league manager and that's retribution enough for me. Just win, baby.

I think this is right. And if was intentional then it was Valentine that have the go ahead. I think Frobby is right when he says Valentine is done as a manager. This was his last gasp and he blew it in a major market with a team that had a lot of talent. He's been loud, obnoxious and void of any class for as long as I can remember.

Calling us lucky a while back when it looked like Boston was floundering wasn't motivating his own team it was just a cheap shot at an opponent. The same when he interviewed with Angelos. Angelos hasn't been a great owner, but can you imagine Buck or Joe Maddon talking about how bad our organization was to the media if they had decided not to be part of it? Stay classy, Bobby, see you on ESPN. I'm sure they will have a chair for you.

Imo, everything points to that being intentional.

1. Andino was the obvious guy to hit, because he's known as the guy who knocked the Red Sox out of the playoffs and obviously takes pleasure in that.

2. He'd already got on base 3 times.

3. It was a very inconsequential at bat - with 2 outs and nobody on - and the Sox extremely unlikely to pull it out.

4. The fact that the pitcher waited a few pitches only means that they didn't want to make it look blatantly obvious - to plant some doubt - which apparently worked on some.

5. And most importantly, it was a fastball headed right at him - the chances of losing control of a fastball thrown in that location are tiny at best.

I think the stars are aligned...

We bring up a kid who's strong as an ox and trains with a punching bag. He brings it everywhere he goes.

Bring in Bundy around the 6/7 inning assuming a big lead, let Davis play 1b today and take out Ellsbury or Pedroia. Bundy would be an instant legend!

disclaimer-I want to this to happen but I know the brawl/suspensions/risk of injuries are not worth it.

After the umpires warned both dugouts, the ump gave Melacon the ball and told him about the warning, Melacon just shrugged it off....I personally thought it was intentional.

I'm sure you are passionate about it but I think you are seeing what you want to believe happened; not what actually happened. Here's the video:

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=24975755&c_id=mlb

At that point in the game it doesn't make any sense for Melancon to drill him intentionally.

The catcher is still in full squat when the ball hits Andino and reaches upwards in an attempt to catch the ball.

Conspiracy theories abound. Let cooler heads prevail. Retaliation runs the risk of suspensions and/or injuries. It's not worth it.

A couple things. They are out of it, so I don't think it matters when they "drill" him, but lets just say it's after the game is lost. Wasn't it at that point? Also, if they are throwing at him should the catcher stand up in full view of everybody and hold the target in back of the batters head or stay as he regularly does, in full squat?

I don't necessarily think they threw at Andino, but because it was Andino and it was the Red Sox with Valentine as the manager I won't discount it either. Lets just, as Buck says, file it away.

It would be extremely stupid if we were to get in a brawl right now. The risk of injuries and suspensions just isn't worth it. First time in 15 years we can honestly say that.

I said the same thing after Nick getting hit and there were a bunch of idiots on here saying that we needed to retaliate.

Anyone want to retaliate now?

Archived