Am I the only one who really likes Flaherty?

joedogg9999

I really like him also! I think he has a very solid approach at the plate and have wondered why he can't seem to crack the lineup. I have much more faith in him hitting then I do Andino.. however I do like Andino's defense. I think a platoon would be a great idea personally.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So, you're saying he's better than Andino and Q?

Q yes, Andino maybe. He is certainly not guaranteed to be better then Andino was last year not sure if he is better then Andino is this year.

Utility infielders are pretty replaceable anyway.

I would feel better about Flaherty being on the team if bullpens were smaller, giving more value to his bat off the bench.

Flaherty certainly has offensive potential. The easy power he's shown to LF (opposite field) is impressive. I certainly think he's adequate at 2B if his offense is plus. I'm not ready to count on him being good next year but I'm also not ready to write him off as a AAAA guy.

This. Flaherty has potential. I'm not sure he's an everyday 2b. I think DD goes into next year with BRob as the everyday 2b and Flaherty playing everyday at Norfolk.

I'm right there with you. I like what Flaherty brings to the table, especially offensively.

I'd ultimately like to see at the very least a platoon with him and Andino, with Flaherty starting against RH.

And Andino as late-inning defensive replacement, even against RHP.

This. Flaherty has potential. I'm not sure he's an everyday 2b. I think DD goes into next year with BRob as the everyday 2b and Flaherty playing everyday at Norfolk.
IMO, he's the worst fielder on the roster today at that position (w/ Tolleson, Andino, Q), and his hitting right now just doesent balance that out. Glove skill, instincts, turning the double; just are not there right now.

I don't think they can trust the starting 2B job to Flaherty next spring. He has some things to prove at AAA yet. He has a chance to be a good one but he has to show he can consistently perform.

Three months as AAA would be be a good direction IMO. He could be a everyday player or a utility guy or a bust. He needs to be given the time and the chance to see what he can do.

I like Flaherty. I defended his spot on the roster a few times on these boards. However, if Andino is healthy, he should be the starting second baseman for the rest of the season. IMO, Andino is the best defensive second baseman on this roster. Overall, I think Flaherty has done an excellent job in his limited role this season. The guy has a quick bat and he is versatile. I think that his future with the Orioles is as a utility player who can get 300 to 400 plate appearances a year.

IMO, he's the worst fielder on the roster today at that position (w/ Tolleson, Andino, Q), and his hitting right now just doesent balance that out. Glove skill, instincts, turning the double; just are not there right now.

The worst? Really? Everytime hes been in there he has been more than serviceablr and has made some pretty good plays. Especially that cleveland game. Omar hasent exactly shown much other than a weak arm.

Id say andino is better in the field just becausr of how small he is, hes more agile and quick. But flaherty IMO more than makes up for whatever dropoff there is with his offensive potential. We already know what andino is at the plate. A low .200 hitter with no power and NEVER gets xbhs or walks. Oh and hes a strikeout king.

The worst? Really? Everytime hes been in there he has been more than serviceablr and has made some pretty good plays. Especially that cleveland game. Omar hasent exactly shown much other than a weak arm.

Id say andino is better in the field just becausr of how small he is, hes more agile and quick. But flaherty IMO more than makes up for whatever dropoff there is with his offensive potential. We already know what andino is at the plate. A low .200 hitter with no power and NEVER gets xbhs or walks. Oh and hes a strikeout king.

So you liked that play yesterday where he stepped in front of Hardy and then blocked Hardy's attempt to tag the bag?

That is more then "serviceablr" to you?

If you want to pick on his range, hands, arm, or pivot on the DP, that's fine but to make mention of that play yesterday as some kind of indictment on his defense is kind of silly. From the eye test I'd say that his range is probably average at best but I haven't seen anything really deficient from Flaherty at 2B.

I was just making use of a convenient example that the other poster was sure to be familiar with.

Archived