The Eastern Division Race is Over?

bmoreosfan

Actually, the Yankees last 3 games are against Boston in New York, not in Boston.

Having said that, I like their chances at the division better than ours, but it's not over. They do not have an off day before the end of the season. There will be a surprise before the season is out; just don't know what it is. The Orioles could be in first place within 2 days. Certainly not over.

It certainly would be nice if Boston could do to New York in New York what the Orioles did to Boston in Baltimore last September 28th.

At this point in the season last year the Red Sox were not only three up in the wildcard, but also coming off an 18-9 obliteration of the irrelevant Orioles. The Rays were cooked, the Sox on their way to yet another playoff run.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was a local Portland (ME) news anchor giving sports scores- I think this went viral, you may have heard it.

Anyway, the nice lady was reading the Celtics v. I don't recall, and said "and with 2 minutes left..the Celtics are up by 3 and will go on to win!" Umm...right. They lost by 7. LOL.

That's basketball. That's a woman who had no business even saying a sports score. But it is similar. The Yankees are up by 3 with 2 minutes left. Yes, we'd rather be in their shoes. But it ain't over by a long shot.

Ya. It's over. 1 and a half games is simply too big of a deficit with only 8 to play. I can't imagine any mathematical combination of O's wins and Yankees losses that gets us in.

That is so true. Up 6 games with only 10 left to play there was no way the 1964 Phillies could ever finish out of first place in the national league.

Final standings, St. Louis, Cincinnati then Philadelphia.

Well, that explains the screen name. If this season hasn't put you in a good mood, then you may as well give up following the sport.

Meh. It's a season that I will always look back on with great fondness. Sort of like high school. While it's happening though, I'm hanging on for dear life.

I can't believe anyone would think the AL East race is over. Are you honestly telling me there is NO WAY the Orioles go 5-3 and the Yankees go 4-5? Or the Orioles go 6-2 and the Yankees go 5-4? Or the Orioles go 4-4 and the Yankees go 3-6?

We could literally be in the lead in two days. The worst teams in baseball still win about 40% of their games. On any given day any team has a decent chance of losing.

Anything can happen of course, but how reasonable is it to think that the MFY will lose 3 or more G and the O's won't lose another? How confident are you the the O's SP?

Have you been confident with our SP for the last 8 weeks or so? While we've been playing .660 baseball since August 1st and other than some more innings, how much different is our starting staff now than it has been?

We're 10-4 our last 14 games and our worst starting efforts have been a tie between Britton and Chen who surrendered 5 runs. Not great but not terrible either.

The nice thing about having a bunch of starters in the bullpen is we can piece it together for the last 8 games. At this point, find a way. If it has to be a bullpen night, so be it. Too close to the prize.

Have you been confident with our SP for the last 8 weeks or so? While we've been playing .660 baseball since August 1st and other than some more innings, how much different is our starting staff now than it has been?

We're 10-4 our last 14 games and our worst starting efforts have been a tie between Britton and Chen who surrendered 5 runs. Not great but not terrible either.

The nice thing about having a bunch of starters in the bullpen is we can piece it together for the last 8 games. At this point, find a way. If it has to be a bullpen night, so be it. Too close to the prize.

More so than I am now. Chen is clearly tiring. And Gonzalez didn't seem to have his best command his last time out even on 6 days rest. I don't like either going on 4 days rest. Wolf is having arm problems and Tillman's velocity was down a bit last time out. Our long men are being overused. I don't see us going undefeated the rest of the way. And I don't see the MFY losing more than one to the BJ's one to BOS, and one to MIN.

At this point in the season last year the Red Sox were not only three up in the wildcard, but also coming off an 18-9 obliteration of the irrelevant Orioles. The Rays were cooked, the Sox on their way to yet another playoff run.

They were also 4-14 for the month going into the 18-9 "obliteration" game.

Have you seen what the Twins are trotting out for starting pitching in their Yankees series? It should be under investigation by the league office.Tuesday it's Esmerling Vasquez with his sterling 6.75 ERA in 20 innings. What a joke!

I get your point, Roy. But like I said - I have a weird feeling. Emphasis on the weird. And the feeling. If we were talking about actual logic and statistics... heck. I would have left this team for dead months ago!

So I'm on board the magic train here. I have no statistic to substantiate my weird feeling. No more logic for me, sir. We've got a very good shot at winning the division. And as for Esmerling Vasquez, can you say shutout?

Archived