I was wrong about Davis

Tony-OH

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think we havent seen the best of Davis since he is only 26. I can see him hitting 40 bombs next year.

Being that he isn't that much worse against lefties (albeit a small sample size this year), if he is the full time DH, I don't think 40 bombs would be out of the question either. Put that with Jones, Wieters, Reynolds, Hardy, Reimold and Kakes and that is a lot of homers (not to mention Machado in his second year).

The difference is that losing Davis won't cripple the team. He could be here a couple years and leave, and be replaced with a little effort from the front office. Like J.J. Hardy.

The core of the lineup (hopefully) is Adam Jones, Matt Wieters and Manny Machado. Decade long Orioles with multiple All-Star appearances. Nick Markakis can be included since he's already been with the team a while and isn't going anywhere.

There, I said it! I thought he had too many holes in his swing and I didn't think he was good enough defensively at either 1B or 3B to support his bat. I was right about the defense at the corners, but he's turned into an adequate outfielder and very well may be able to play everyday right field for this team if needed one day. As for his bat, I've come to the conclusion that he was able to make some adjustments in his wing and although he's going to strike out and he's going to be streaky at times, he's got enough game power to make him valuable.

For me, he's part of the core to build around next year along with Jones, Wieters, Machado and Markakis offensively. Hardy and Reynolds have made themselves and integral part as well for their defense and pop. IF, and I know it's a big if, IF Reimold can come back and be big bat against left-handers in a Gary Roenicke kind of way, and if this team can find an OBP machine who can play decent defense at second base, I think our offense looks pretty set for 2013.

Yeah, I think 2B and SP should be the focus of the team. Maybe they think Schoop will be the answer at 2B. Otherwise, I'm not sure who a viable option would be to pick up. I bet they just hope that Roberts can provide some value in the last year of his deal, have Flaherty/Andino as backup options, and give Schoop another year of development.

I was wrong too. He will always strike out a lot, but he can really hit and his power is off the charts.

I've got a hunch that some front offices have figured out that the HR has been undervalued in the saber era, but that's only a hunch at this point.

And the difference is?

To me the core is the group you are building around. Gary Roenicke was not part of the "core" of the '79-83 Orioles the way I am using the term. He was a piece that fit the team. To me a core guy is someone who you'd play for 150+ games if you could. I think Davis was used about perfectly this year at 133 games (with 6 to play).

One thing to keep in mind when debating McLouth and Reimold is that McClouth is provides a legit 20-30 stolen bases if he is given the opportunity. He is also a better overall outfielder IMO because of his quickness/range.

It would be amazing to have a 2B who was a true base stealing threat (why couldn't we have BRob from a few years ago now).

I think Davis makes the plan this offseason very murky.

You essentially have McClouth, Davis, Reimold, and Betemit for 2 spots. Especially when you consider that only McClouth is the only with plus defense.

Getting anything out of Reimold next year is a plus IMO. The kid clearly has skills but injuries always creep up on him. McClouth should be the starting LF.

You essentially have McClouth, Davis, Reimold, and Betemit for 2 spots. Especially when you consider that only McClouth is the only with plus defense.

We started this year with Davis, Reimold, Betemit, Chavez and Nick Johnson. McLouth takes Chavez's spot. Machado takes Johnson's spot. You still have Flaherty's spot to play with. Looks pretty good to me. Betemit will lose a lot of at bats, which is fine.

I don't think that Reimold can be considered an everyday player going in 2013. He will have to earn that if he can stay healthy enough to be a regular. I can see Betemit traded. The O's need a righthanded hitter in his spot that can play decent defense. McLouth against against lefties in leftfield makes sense if his contract is not too outrageous. I hope he is back next year. Davis has earned a lot of playing time next year.

We started this year with Davis, Reimold, Betemit, Chavez and Nick Johnson. McLouth takes Chavez's spot. Machado takes Johnson's spot. You still have Flaherty's spot to play with. Looks pretty good to me. Betemit will lose a lot of at bats, which is fine.

I was looking at Betemit's contract recently. His 2014 option is guaranteed if he gets 700 ABs 2012-2013. With his injuries this year and Machado + Davis stepping up, I doubt he gets there.

I don't think that Reimold can be considered an everyday player going in 2013. He will have to earn that if he can stay healthy enough to be a regular. I can see Betemit traded. The O's need a righthanded hitter in his spot that can play decent defense. McLouth against against lefties in leftfield makes sense if his contract is not too outrageous. I hope he is back next year. Davis has earned a lot of playing time next year.

I still think Betemit has a role as a LHB. His career OPS vs. RHP is .824. Buck could move him around between 1B/3B/DH against righties if he wants to give Reynolds/Manny/Davis a break. At the very least, he could be the primary pinch hitter late in games.

To me the core is the group you are building around. Gary Roenicke was not part of the "core" of the '79-83 Orioles the way I am using the term. He was a piece that fit the team. To me a core guy is someone who you'd play for 150+ games if you could. I think Davis was used about perfectly this year at 133 games (with 6 to play).

I see your point. But it is opinion thing. I think of Roenicke and Lowenstein as core players on the 83 WS team. They weren't All-Stars like Eddie and Cal but the were as core as Dempsey or Dauer. And surely Dempsey and Dauer were core. So under that line of thinking Davis is core to the current O's team. Davis will end up with over 500 at bats and probably 30 homers and right now he is second in OPS to only Adam Jones on the team among hitters that will end up is 500 at bats.

Davis along with Jones, Markakis, Wieters, Machado, and Reimold plus Reynolds and Hardy will give us quite an offense for the next few years. Would be sweet if Schoop could develop like Machado then we'd truly be a set. Throw in McLouth, Betemit, Teagarden, and one of the 2Bmen on the bench and you'd have a potent team.

Just continue to build the pitching, baby!

Archived