I was wrong about Davis

Tony-OH

Assuming we bring McLouth back next year, which I sure hope is the case, I agree that second base is our most glaring need. Maybe Flaherty shows he's the man for the job. Otherwise, there are plenty of decent short term free agent options: Scutaro, Keppinger, Johnson, etc. I personally would like to see them bring in Stephen Drew to see if they could recapture his glory years. It's unlikely Oakland exercises the option in his contract.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By the way, being part of the "core" to me is being a regular starter on this team over the next 2-4 years. For me, Jones, Wieters and Machado are sho-ins as part of that core. The next group are guys that I think can be part of this core as well, and that's Hardy, Reynolds and Davis. McLouth has impressed me and I've love to see the Orioles resign him to a two year deal. It will be interesting to see what he wants for salary after his comeback year this year with the O's. I would pencil him in right now as my left-fielder with Reimold getting some at bats against left-handers at times, but also getting some ABs against left-handers at DH. Davis is fine as the DH in my opinion and I don't mind him spelling Markakis in RF occasionally either.

As of right now, here's how I would see our position player roster next year:

C: Wieters

1B: Reynolds

2B: FA/Trade/Flaherty/Andino/Roberts

SS: Hardy

3B: Machado

LF: MCLouth

CF: Jones

RF: Markakis

DH: Davis

Bench:

1B/DH/pinch hitter- Betemit

Utility- Andino

4th OF/RH DH: Reimold

C- Teagarden/Trade

Honestly, I'm fine with going to battle next year with this team, especially if we can pick up a 2B who can get on base. Better yet, have LJ Hoes work at second base again all off season. Send of to the AFL/winter ball and have him play 2B everyday. Have Bobby Dickerson live with him for all I care, just see if they can give Hoes one more chance at second base. If he can man it at all effectively, he could be a perfect fit for this lineup next year. If not he'll return to AAA unless an injury occurs.

By the way, being part of the "core" to me is being a regular starter on this team over the next 2-4 years. For me, Jones, Wieters and Machado are sho-ins as part of that core. The next group are guys that I think can be part of this core as well, and that's Hardy, Reynolds and Davis. McLouth has impressed me and I've love to see the Orioles resign him to a two year deal. It will be interesting to see what he wants for salary after his comeback year this year with the O's. I would pencil him in right now as my left-fielder with Reimold getting some at bats against left-handers at times, but also getting some ABs against left-handers at DH. Davis is fine as the DH in my opinion and I don't mind him spelling Markakis in RF occasionally either.

Bench:

Utility- Andino

C- Teagarden/Trade

Honestly, I'm fine with going to battle next year with this team, especially if we can pick up a 2B who can get on base. Better yet, have LJ Hoes work at second base again all off season. Send of to the AFL/winter ball and have him play 2B everyday. Have Bobby Dickerson live with him for all I care, just see if they can give Hoes one more chance at second base. If he can man it at all effectively, he could be a perfect fit for this lineup next year. If not he'll return to AAA unless an injury occurs.

I completely agree. We're primarily in the hunt this season due to the pitching. So, this offseason, rinse and repeat. Concentrate on the pitching and this offense is more than good enough.

What the heck is that supposed to mean? I'll crisply salute Robert Andino, too, but I'll also advocate for a better second baseman.

What does it mean? I think I was pretty clear. Dauer deserves a level of respect that you are not giving him. A regular for 6 years with the O's and two WS appearances. You look at his offensive stats and say replacement players. But he fit with some pretty darn good O's teams and was a core player.

And yes, I would like to see a better player than Andino at 2B also. Roberts may be that player but the O's need a better backup in case that does not happen.

Bench:

Utility- Andino

C- Teagarden/Trade

I agree with everything you said here except Hoes to 2B. The O's need a excellent defensive 2B. Not someone that has struggled there. I think DD will find a cheap, good defensive 2B backup for Roberts that can hit for a decent OBP. It probably will not be name player but then again it doesn't need to be.

Guys, McLouth has been a nice piece for the O's in limited AB's but let us not forget.

2010 620 OPS

2011 677 OPS

2012 385 OPS with Pit

I would certainly consider him as a fourth outfield option but I don't want to pencil him into the opening day lineup.

I think you put he and Reimold to battle it out in spring training with the other the 4th OF

Pay the man 2 million. We aren't the A's. Saving a million and taking a chance on getting nothing instead of paying 2 million and knowing what you are going to get is a no brainer imo.

That's my thinking. When we're talking about $2 million for a solid bench player/role player and $4 million for a decent reliever, those are apples to oranges. I'm not saying that I'm against moving Betemit. I'm just saying he has value.

Guys, McLouth has been a nice piece for the O's in limited AB's but let us not forget.

2010 620 OPS

2011 677 OPS

2012 385 OPS with Pit

I would certainly consider him as a fourth outfield option but I don't want to pencil him into the opening day lineup.

I'm comfortable doing it.

2010 620 OPS

2011 677 OPS

2012 385 OPS with Pit

Depends on whether the O's are facing a righthander or a lefthander. McLouth is hitting for a 859 OPS versus righties and a 627 OPS versus lefties for the O's. Because of his inconsistent background that you point out I would not sign him long term but I would offer him a one year contract with an option year.

If we did, I'll happy to honor it. Just let me know what it was. I think the best thing he did this year was show he can play an effective outfield. He moves better than a lot of people think and I'm not so sure he's not faster than Markakis.

I was a little off on my memory. Here is the gist of the "bet," which was about SLG, not ISO:

I'm not a fan of Chris Davis. There, i said it publicly. I just don't think the guy is an every day major league first baseman. Since 2010 he has put up the following numbers in the major leagues [shows .240/.294/.359]

From what I've seen from the guy he sells out his power to hit for a little average. A .359 SLG percentage is not going to cut it from a first baseman.

Tony, I will be shocked if Davis doesn't put up a SLG above .425. The guy clearly has power. I will grant you he didn't show it in the majors in 2010 or 2011, but he did in 2009-10 in far more plate appearances and he has always shown it in the minors.

I'm not saying the Davis experiment will pan out, I'm just saying that at the end of the day it won't be lack of power that is the issue.

I'll be happy to take that bet. Name the wager. Davis hasn't shown power in the major leagues since 2010 and judging by his approach, I don't see that changing unless he changes that approach. Lack of power has been his number one issue since being an Oriole and I've seen enough of him from a scouting stand point to be fairly confident he's not going to suddenly turn it around unless he changes that approach.

What do you feel his final line will be if given 550 PAs?

I'm on record projecting a .717 OPS for Davis. I was more pessimistic than most of the projections systems out there. I'd expect that .717 OPS to look somethink like .235/.285/.432. Does that make me a wild-eyed optimist? By the way, I projected 475 PA for Davis, and I agree with SG, if he actually slugs under .425, he won't get 550 PA or anywhere close.

I think it is fair to say we both sold the guy short. And like you, I'm glad I unerestimated the guy. I agree with you that his ability to play a decent OF has been shocking.

By the way, the quotes above are from the very first week of the season, in a thread I started which had to do with John Kruk saying about Boston's pitchers, "what are they going to do when they play the Orioles?" It's a great thread to revisit with the beniefit of 20/20 hindsight, absolutely hilarious. http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/119832-Kruk-quot-What-are-they-going-to-do-when-they-play-the-Orioles-quot

That's my thinking. When we're talking about $2 million for a solid bench player/role player and $4 million for a decent reliever, those are apples to oranges. I'm not saying that I'm against moving Betemit. I'm just saying he has value.

I agree Betemit has value to the right team because he hits righthanded pitching well. That is why some team may trade for him. I just don't think he is a good fit for the O's going forward with lefthanded hitting Chris Davis at DH and Reynolds a main stay at 1B. Having Reimold on the team to DH against tough lefties is a better fit with Davis.

Archived