Super Thursday - The Halves go away

JR Oriole

I understand the logic here, but priority one is making the playoffs (the Angels and Rays are our threats). Priority two is being able to host the wild card game (Oakland is our biggest threat here). So I really don't want the As beating Texas, even if it means Texas rests a few guys down the road. Also, Texas has been playing like garbage. They really need to get into a better rhythm if they want to advance in the playoffs (or hell, even make it in) so I don't see them resting too many folks.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I understand the logic here, but priority one is making the playoffs (the Angels and Rays are our threats). Priority two is being able to host the wild card game (Oakland is our biggest threat here). So I really don't want the As beating Texas, even if it means Texas rests a few guys down the road. Also, Texas has been playing like garbage. They really need to get into a better rhythm if they want to advance in the playoffs (or hell, even make it in) so I don't see them resting too many folks.

Texas will be going after the number 1 seed that gets the benefit of playing the WC winner. I doubt they will be resting anybody.

Texas will be going after the number 1 seed that gets the benefit of playing the WC winner. I doubt they will be resting anybody.

Agree - they played hard until the last game last season because of this dynamic. As a number 2 seed, they would not want to go to Detroit to face Verlander in Game 1. So getting the top seed will be important.

Angels and Rays need to lose first and foremost. We have 6 games, it's pretty unlikely that we take care of business and go 5-1. Possible? Yes.

The Angels and Rays both have 7 games left.

Angels face:

1 against Mariners in Anaheim

3 against Rangers in Texas

3 against Mariners in Seattle

You've gotta hope that the Angels lose 2 or 3 games in those 7. But they are scorching right now. Pitching is phenomenal, hitting is clutch.

A's face:

1 against Rangers in Texas

3 against Mariners in Oakland

3 against Texas in Oakland

The A's are another team that are just playing very well. Same as Angels.

And the Rays?

4 against White Sox in Chicago

3 against Orioles in Tampa

We really need Chicago to take at least 2. The White Sox will be throwing Peavy, Floyd, Sale, and ? for the 4th game. Rooting hard for the ChiSox. They're going to have all hands on deck for these games, as they're battling for the division at this point.

Have to be thinking ahead here. The most likely scenario is that the O's are a wild card, and the NYY win the division. For the wild card game, obviously we would want it to at OPACY. The O's have had a hard time winning at Oakland and at LAA. The most favorable match-up, out of OAK, LAA, and TB, is Oakland, IMO. The Rays would be pitching David Price. LAA has been on fire, and has owned the Orioles. I'll take my chances with Oakland in one game in Baltimore.

So, I'm hoping Oakland loses enough to finish behind the O's, but not so much, that LAA or TB (w/ Price) gets the 2nd wild card.

Agreed that Oakland at home is the best situation for us if we end up in the WC game. The Seattle v Angels is today's free MLB TV game if anyone is interested.

I can see Oakland being tied with the Angels for the final WC spot.....Then traveling across the country to play us in the play in game.

Another layer of intrigue here:

Let's say the Orioles don't win the AL East. If that AND the O's hosting the WG game becomes a certainty, I'd want to see the NYY get the overall #1 seed. I think the O's match-up better with NYY in a potential ALDS, as compared to Texas. But most of all, an Orioles / NYY playoff series would be AMAZING! It would just add to the mythology of the 2012 O's if we eliminated the Yanks.

So many combinations to cheer for, so much fun. Thank you O's!

I would LOVE to eliminate NY. I would also HATE being eliminated by them. Whereas Texas may be a worse matchup for us, I would not be nearly as upset if they ousted us. So is it worth the risk...playing NY???

Absolutely worth the risk. Camden Yards would be rocking!

Does anyone know the tie-breaker for whether we would host the wild card game, if the O's were tied with only one team? I've seen the multi-way scenarios, but what if the Orioles were tied with just one of OAK, LAA, TEX, TB..... who hosts the game in each of those four cases?

Absolutely worth the risk. Camden Yards would be rocking!

Does anyone know the tie-breaker for whether we would host the wild card game, if the O's were tied with only one team? I've seen the multi-way scenarios, but what if the Orioles were tied with just one of OAK, LAA, TEX, TB..... who hosts the game in each of those four cases?

Oak, LAA, and Tex all have the Tie breaker over us which is head to head play. The TB tie breaker will be finalized this weekend.

Archived