Keith Law is not impressed (in 2012, but he is in 2014)

Burg

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We'll have to see how this plays out next year, IMO, regarding our luck and talent level. I do think we have played some undermanned teams in Boston and Toronto a lot recently and I can see how someone like KLaw is finding it difficult to accept Baltimore victories from a rotation that includes Steve Johnson, Joe Saunders and Randy Wolf.

Boston and Toronto were undermanned? You just pointed out that the O's have given regular starts to Steve Johnson, Joe Saunders and Randy Wolf. Two other starters, Gonzalez and Tillman couldn't make the team out of spring training. Reimold was lost after 3 weeks. Markakis has been MIA for nearly half the season. Roberts was essentially gone for the whole year. We've turned 2B over to three guys hitting under .230, one of whom never played above AA before this year. Our third base is in his 19 year old season and played two games at the position before his promotion. Our first baseman is Mark Freakin Reynolds and he's playing gold glove caliber defense. Our left fielder was pulled off the trash heap by Duquette.

And we're saying that Boston and Toronto are undermanned? Buck is a button pusher extrodinaire and Duquette is a genius! That explains it all.

This guys is seriously a ass clown. He could take the high road and give a little credit, but instead he chooses to double down on his bull**** schtick. I would love it if some Orioles fan would just go up to him and clean his smug, arrogant clock.

Boston and Toronto were undermanned? You just pointed out that the O's have given regular starts to Steve Johnson, Joe Saunders and Randy Wolf. Two other starters, Gonzalez and Tillman couldn't make the team out of spring training. Reimold was lost after 3 weeks. Markakis has been MIA for nearly half the season. Roberts was essentially gone for the whole year. We've turned 2B over to three guys hitting under .230, one of whom never played above AA before this year. Our third base is in his 19 year old season and played two games at the position before his promotion. Our first baseman is Mark Freakin Reynolds and he's playing gold glove caliber defense. Our left fielder was pulled off the trash heap by Duquette.

And we're saying that Boston and Toronto are undermanned? Buck is a button pusher extrodinaire and Duquette is a genius! That explains it all.

Well when you lay it all out like that it truly looks amazing that we have accomplished what we have!

Not to mention that our starter with the most wins is a rookie...

Someone did tell him. He responded that it didn't matter since they were only doing it against September call ups.

He really said that? That's complete horse****. The Orioles have been in a pennant race for 2 ****ing months against the Yankees, Rays, Tigers, Angels, Athletics, etc.

I was just pointing out that we have benefited the last two weeks from player weak teams from Boston and Toronto - certainly weaker versions of these teams than existed in the past and earlier this season. Do you disagree?

True, but we also beat them earlier in the season as well. And it's not like the Orioles have been without their share of injuries. Hammel, Markakis, Roberts, Reimold, Betemit, Thome, Britton and of course Arrieta and Matusz both **** the bed while in the rotation.

What's your point?

While I agree with those who say this is nothing. It is interesting to see straw man arguments such as we are playing against call ups or weak teams. I really do not remember many arguments against the Skankees, Red Sux or Rays when they were essentially going Undefeated against us year after year.

While I agree with those who say this is nothing. It is interesting to see straw man arguments such as we are playing against call ups or weak teams. I really do not remember many arguments against the Skankees, Red Sux or Rays when they were essentially going Undefeated against us year after year.

Well said.

Look Keith Law is a statistics guy. I think his point of view is as skewed as those who completely throw such statistic as WAR, FIP etc out the window as though they are completely meaningless. The truth is somewhere in the middle. All stats on a baseball field are the result of the actual games haven been played.

At the end of the day stats like WAR, FIP etc are like nouns, adverbs, adjectives that are components of a sentence. By themselves they have meaning but when placed in the context of a sentence (in this case W-L) that meaning can be very different than expected. Sometimes I think Stat driven baseball people forget that..... the ultimate stat that matters in the game is W-L. Ask the Angels or Rays to a man if they would trade some of those gaudy and pretty stats for a shot at WS Championship....my guess is the answer would be yea.

Archived