Tillman to start 162

Can_of_corn

So Tillman pitches tomorrow. If we are in a tiebreaker, I assume Saunders goes. If we lose that, who pitches in the Wildcard game that Friday? Chen? Hammel?

I'm not so sure that Saunders would pitch a tiebreaker. He would be on only 3 days' rest. Not sure how much experience he has with that.

Thursday would be Steve Johnson's turn in the rotation, but I'm not sure if Buck would be willing to use him, plus he might still be banged up after taking the liner off his leg in his last start.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Definitely think this is the right call. As others have said, a win tomorrow guarantees a home playoff game. I would much rather have Joe Saunders pitching on Friday at Camden Yards then to have Chris Tillman pitching in Oak/Texas on Friday. This fan base deserves at least one home playoff game. A win tomorrow accomplishes it.

If a tiebreaker is needed vs. the Yanks, would anyone consider Matusz? Yanks are not as good against LHP, and Matusz would neutralize their big lefty bats. Plus he's been great coming out of the 'pen.

Not ideal, but I'm honestly having a tough time thinking of better options.

If a tiebreaker is needed vs. the Yanks, would anyone consider Matusz? Yanks are not as good against LHP, and Matusz would neutralize their big lefty bats. Plus he's been great coming out of the 'pen.

Not ideal, but I'm honestly having a tough time thinking of better options.

Bundy? Gausman threw a bullpen for Buck and Adair. Partially joking.

Definitely think this is the right call. As others have said, a win tomorrow guarantees a home playoff game. I would much rather have Joe Saunders pitching on Friday at Camden Yards then to have Chris Tillman pitching in Oak/Texas on Friday. This fan base deserves at least one home playoff game. A win tomorrow accomplishes it.

Completely disagree. I would much rather have our best pitcher pitching away than a mediocre pitcher at home. Especially because Saunders has such little experience pitching at Camden Yards to begin with - it's not like it's very familiar conditions for him or anything.

If the A's tie us, don't we travel to Oakland for the WC due to them having a better record?

Assuming the Yankees win tonight, I would not assume the Red Sox would win again on Wednesday, therefore the use of Tillman is dubious in the least.

I think that Buck will go with Tillman against the Rays tomorrow and trust Saunders to beat the A's in the WC game since he has a great record against them.

If the A's tie us, don't we travel to Oakland for the WC due to them having a better record?

I think that is correct. But if the Orioles win and the A's win both games to keep pace, then they win the division and the Rangers drop one game behind the Orioles. If the A's go 1-1 and the Orioles lose tomorrow, then the A's will host.

The A's just took the lead.

Okay I figured this out now. If the A's sweep the Rangers, they win the West and the Rangers are the WC. Which means if the O's win tomorrow they are guaranteed a home game because they'd have a better record than either the A's or Rangers, regardless of which one ends up the WC. My bad.

So yes, I think Buck will go with Tillman regardless, because we're guaranteed to get a home game if we win tomorrow, no matter what else happens.

Archived