If we start Saunders on Friday...

EutawBomber

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why not pitch Johnson Friday? Roch's blog mentioned that Johnson was a possibility for the Thursday game, so why not move him to Friday? I know he doesn't have the experience of Saunders, but he's been effective every time he's started.

Exactly.

Plus, it will be harder for the Rangers to scout and prepare for Johnson. Saunders has a long track record, and the Rangers certainly have tons of tape and scouting reports on him, so they will be more easily able to prepare for Saunders. And that's before considering that the Rangers pummel guys with Saunders' repertoire, and that Saunders has awful career numbers in Arlington.

I have been told F.U. on this page. I have been called an idiot. I have been told to go away. Nohing happened to any of those posters. I have never said anything back until tonight. The double standard you all have is ridiculous.

Yes, it's a terrible double standard. People who make sense get respect, those who rant and troll and spew nonsense don't. If you want a board where ALL opinions are treated equally, no matter how ridiculous or inflammatory, just go Google Orioles Anonymous.

Roch Kubatko ‏@masnRoch

#orioles are headed to Texas. If Saunders starts Friday, he's 0-6 with 9.38 ERA in 6 career starts there. 41 hits, 13 HRs in 31 2/3 innings

Start him anyway. Who cares? We're supposed to be happy no matter what right?
Perhaps I really am a joke then? You don't know me in real life, I'm a miserable, not fun to be around person.

So no. I'm not "making myself look like a joke". I am one.

Wow... that's just bizarre. Maybe we need another forum here for the eternally miserable to congegrate.

Grow up. You're nothing but a punk bully. So easy to talk this way when you're in front of a computer. Would love for it to be otherwise.

Really, the old internet tough guy routine. I'm fine with you having any opinions but I'm not fine with people who have a hard time expressing an opinion without calling names or virtually threatening someone. That doesn't work here, sorry.

I think the OP could have been more tactful, but I agree with the sentiment.

We had a playoff spot guaranteed on Sunday night.

There was a decision to charge hard for the WC home game and the Division (though the NYY were playing the same awful BoSox team we had just swept and we were playing against a very hot Rays team). Folks here have spent the last week largely supporting that decision by waxing philosophic, nostalgic and embattled to catch the NYY from behind for the division, to perhaps win the AL crown or grab a home playoff game.

That decision has left us to choose between Joe Saunders and Steve Johnson for our playoff game - which frankly makes me ill.

I love this team and this journey this year and our front office has made an astounding number of decisions with very beneficial results, but you should "know when to hold them and know when to fold them" and I thought all decisions this week should have been about preparing Chris Tillman and a rested Chen to pitch in the divisional tie-breaker or the WC play-in game.

Why not give the game to the reason we are here. The Bullpen. Start Saunders for Two innings. Then make it a bullpen game. Keep switching it up. Don't make the them time one pitcher. It's one game. Keep them on their toes.

I don't think Buck would ever throw Saunders out there for just two innings. That would be telling him that he doesn't think he's good enough to go longer, and that's completely against Buck's style. He's all about having confidence in his guys. See the stubborn loyalty to Strop in the 8th and Hardy in the 2-hole for way too long.

I think the OP could have been more tactful, but I agree with the sentiment.

We had a playoff spot guaranteed on Sunday night.

There was a decision to charge hard for the WC home game and the Division (though the NYY were playing the same awful BoSox team we had just swept and we were playing against a very hot Rays team). Folks here have spent the last week largely supporting that decision by waxing philosophic, nostalgic and embattled to catch the NYY from behind for the division, to perhaps win the AL crown or grab a home playoff game.

That decision has left us to choose between Joe Saunders and Steve Johnson for our playoff game - which frankly makes me ill.

I love this team and this journey this year and our front office has made an astounding number of decisions with very beneficial results, but you should "know when to hold them and know when to fold them" and I thought all decisions this week should have been about preparing Chris Tillman and a rested Chen to pitch in the divisional tie-breaker or the WC play-in game.

I agree with all of this, primarily because it was easy to see coming. But Buck truly can't say to his team, "well, we won't catch the Yankees, so let's prepare for contingent plans." You HAVE to play for the title until it isn't possible. So I understand why the rotation is what it is. But I don't like it.

Steve Melewski‏@masnSteve

In 2009 vs. Tex, Joe Saunders had 16.88 ERA. Take away those 3 starts and he is 3-4, 4.15 in 8 career outings vs. Rangers.

In Saunders last start vs. Texas, on 7-23-2010 he took a 1-0 loss. Over 7 IP gave up seven hits and 1 run with 6 Ks on 126 pitches.

Those are two back to back tweets from Melewski.

Also, its a one game, anything can happen. Darvish can suck, Saunders can be great, and the O's win 10-0. Trends have little to no meaning in one game. Thats why they play the games.

I don't think it matters much who gets the start. They will be on a short leash. Buck in my opinion will not let the starter go down 3 or 4 runs early, in a one game winner take all.

Is Strop even gonna be on the roster for this game?

Archived