Roberts Comes Clean

Night Owl

Well it's a good thing he's so damn cute! Plus he talks about his religion in public, too.

Sorry for being cynical, but I'm not sure I buy the "one time" thing, just like I don't believe Pettite for saying he did HGH twice, just like I don't believe Fernando Vina on SC last night saying he did HGH but never did steroids...

Roberts can get away with the "one time" excuse because the information against him was so flimsy to begin with. Why'd he wait so long to "come clean", too? Sounds like he spent some time with his agent and publicist on how to "come clean" in a "believable" way.

Blueberryale hasn't hopped all over this one yet? I'm surprised she hasn't seen the Roberts signal yet...you know, it's kind of like the Bat Signal from Batman...it's an outline of Roberts butt in baseball pants and it's flashed in the sky...it alerts the female contingent that the bad men on the OH are talking negatively about Roberts.

dem's jes jokes ;)

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was just thinking that Roberts may have come clean because he wants others to own up, too. He really didn't have to, and he could have not worried about Bonds esque perjury charges if he just didn't say anything in an official arena. But he came out when he was one of the most defended names from the report. Mini crusade, perhaps. Maybe he'll be one of the bannermen for change.

It is hard to believe that Roberts finally admits to using steroids (which we've all known about for about a year and a half) and the venom from some on this board is reserved for Bigbie. If anything I have more respect for Bigbie after Roberts came clean. If there were more players like Bigbie the Mitchell report would have been much more comprehensive and given us much more insight into the PED problem.

I never held Roberts in any particularly high regard and that opinion hasn't changed. It seems to me that the least we should expect of Roberts is for him to come clean after being named in the Mitchell report and having another player testify to his steroid use. He doesn't deserve any praise for that, and I would imagine he doesn't want praise for that.

All I know is there are a lot of kids around Baltimore who were big Brian Robert fans and his actions have changed their opinions of him forever. I hope that when their parents sit down with them they explain that Larry Bigbie told the truth while Roberts declined to cooperate with the investigation and only came clean after being caught.

I may be a homer; I may just be naive, but Brian Roberts is a truly honorable man. He had been defended by his friends and by his organization; he could have remained quiet and let it all just go away, rather he stood up in front of everyone, fans and detractors, opened himself up for ridicule and speculation and admitted his use of steroids.

I can't begin to imagine all the things that must have been going through his mind at the time, but as I said before I can relate on a really tiny scale because I saw it so much in college. When your whole life is dedicated to a single aim, temptations can and will be overwhelming in our efforts to succeed and excel. I will take him at his word because he didn't even have to give us that. In my heart today, Brian Roberts is more than just a baseball player on my favorite team, he is a great man who has my respect.

My idols are not men who celebrate their successes as much as great men who learn from their shortcomings and mistakes and in an era where personal flaws are exposed at an alarming rate and discussed through every media avenue available, men like Brian Roberts who stand up and say, "I made a mistake" are the kind of people I hope my children idolize as well.

God Bless you, Brian

I may be a homer; I may just be naive, but Brian Roberts is a truly honorable man. He had been defended by his friends and by his organization; he could have remained quiet and let it all just go away, rather he stood up in front of everyone, fans and detractors, opened himself up for ridicule and speculation and admitted his use of steroids.

I can't begin to imagine all the things that must have been going through his mind at the time, but as I said before I can relate on a really tiny scale because I saw it so much in college. When your whole life is dedicated to a single aim, temptations can and will be overwhelming in our efforts to succeed and excel. I will take him at his word because he didn't even have to give us that. In my heart today, Brian Roberts is more than just a baseball player on my favorite team, he is a great man who has my respect.

My idols are not men who celebrate their successes as much as great men who learn from their shortcomings and mistakes and in an era where personal flaws are exposed at an alarming rate and discussed through every media avenue available, men like Brian Roberts who stand up and say, "I made a mistake" are the kind of people I hope my children idolize as well.

God Bless you, Brian

You said this very well.I agree with you!:)

I almost wish that we had another guys that was as flimsily named in the report as Roberts was but isn't as well-adored and he also came out and said he had only used once several years ago.

I think people are much more forgiving and beleiving of Roberts than they would be of, oh lets say Corey Patterson or Chad Bradford. Thats not neccesarily wrong, just interesting.

However,that does not make a NITWIT for finding your joke inapproraiate:rolleyes:

Are you talking about this "joke"?

Correction. Robert STATES that it was one time.

*ducks*

Because that's not a joke. Okay, the ducking part is a joke. But the correction part is the truth. Roberts says it was one time. Whether you believe him or not is up to each individual.

I almost wish that we had another guys that was as flimsily named in the report as Roberts was but isn't as well-adored and he also came out and said he had only used once several years ago.

I think people are much more forgiving and beleiving of Roberts than they would be of, oh lets say Corey Patterson or Chad Bradford. Thats not neccesarily wrong, just interesting.

Forgiving and believing are two different things. To me, it's easy to understand why people would be quicker to forgive Brian Roberts than some other random player, in light of all the good, charitable work the guy has done and the fact that he has no other blemishes on his record. Believing him is a tougher call (though I've chosen to give him the beneift of the doubt, myself).

I was just thinking that Roberts may have come clean because he wants others to own up, too. He really didn't have to, and he could have not worried about Bonds esque perjury charges if he just didn't say anything in an official arena. But he came out when he was one of the most defended names from the report. Mini crusade, perhaps. Maybe he'll be one of the bannermen for change.

That would be refreshing but I don't believe we'll see someone take that stand unless they are willing to run head on into the union.

Another scenario would be that he wants out of town, and by coming forward on something relatively minor, the storm has a chance to blow over a little sooner and his ticket out of town (like it or not) could be punched a little sooner, BRob can start over somewhere new a little sooner.

Archived