Showalter announces that Joe Saunders will start for #Orioles tomorrow

Greg

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's purely an experience thing. Saunders has the experience, and won't be flustered by starting. By doing this, I think it eases the pressure on Steve JOhnson, Zach britton, Jake Arrietta and all of our young pitchers in the bullpen. KNowing you are starting a big game can really burden a young mind not experienced at it... but the adrenaline rush of being called out of the bullpen will work in our favor I think.. because, obviously, there will be a VERY QUICK hook for a guy who is 0-6 lifetime versus Texas with a 9 plus ERA.

Well, the team has gone against the odds and the stats all season, so why stop now? Texas hits left-handed starters (.282/.343/.455/.798) better than right handed starters (.269/.330/.442/.772) and we know Saunders has struggled against them. Maybe Buck just thinks it's too much to ask Steve Johnson to start this game. Either way, I hope he's on a very short leash and I expect to see Steve Johnson if Saunders struggles at all.

I suppose putting the weight of the season on a rookie with 38 innings of ML experience is potentially a swell way to forever scar the kid's future, so I won't argue this one. Not too comfortable with Saunder's postseason history, but it isn't an extensive history either.

Archived