N.L. PLAYOFF GAME THREAD: Cardinals vs. Braves 10/05

OFFNY

I'm not sure the call was incorrect - it appeared to me that he made the call when the infielder signaled that he had it...and it appeared that had he not lost track of the ball, he could've made an easy catch. It feels wrong because of where the ball was, but the video seems to show that the call coincides almost exactly with the infielder calling off the left fielder. Is that really incorrect?

Of course, I guess if the shortstop has to call off the left fielder, maybe that's a greater-than-ordinary effort...

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmmm... I feel Orioles Magic in the air tonight!

Home team, with an impressive season record against the visitor: check. Atlanta 5-1 vs. St. Louis in 2012.

Home team has a dominating starter on the mound: check. Atlanta has never (!) lost when Medlen is the starter; 23 in a row.

.... and the Umps are losing their minds as I write this.

St. Louis 6, Atlanta 3

The stars are aligning for an Orioles win. ORIOLES WIN, I TELL YOU! :drek:

I'm not going to say it's okay for the fans to throw debris on the field (of course), but they certainly should be furious about this. What an awful call, and in this situation the severity of it is compounded quite a bit. When the bad umpiring is a centerpiece of the game, something is very, very wrong.

It's just a bad call, and it should be reversed. We're talking about ending a team's season in one game.

Archived