So, Josh Hamilton might've played his last game as a Ranger last night...

ChaosLex

I am going by my knowledge of people with severe addiction problems and also the uncharacteristic behavior displayed this season by Hamilton, which would seem to indicate that he is having serious struggles with his problems. This is most likely stemming from anxiety caused by the probability of not returning to TEX, where he has an extensive support system. Christian fellowship with Chris Davis, and guidance from Buck will not be enough to allay that IMO.

You, like the rest of us re: a given player's psychology, have no idea what you're talking about.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You are clueless about the extent and severity of Hamilton's problems.

Gordo, to what extent and severity have Ham's problems cost his team in the way of games. I'm not talking about what you think, more in terms of days suspended because of relapse of alcohol or anything else?

I'll answer it for you. None.

The answer with Hamilton comes down to dollars and cents and that's it. The outrage as others have said here is overblown. His numbers speak volumes and I have yet to hear any players come out and say he was a bad influence in the clubhouse. Maybe we will. There's plenty of time for that, but failing that the question is does he fit the needs of our team and is it cost effective.

I'm not so sure he will be a bargain as some here surmise, but if he is I would definitely take a look. I don't think Buck will have a problem with his history, he managed Strawberry and that was no cakewalk. Managing people has become a strength for Buck.

Going by that logic how do you know his deep Christian faith is real? Since you don't "know him" it could all be a front, right?

This is ridiculous. I'm a Christian also and people don't make professions lightly. That being said, it doesn't preclude anyone from struggling. His issues are very real, but the reality is they are and continue to be manageable.

This is ridiculous. I'm a Christian also and people don't make professions lightly. That being said, it doesn't preclude anyone from struggling. His issues are very real, but the reality is they are and continue to be manageable.

I'm not saying Hamilton's religion is phony, that wasn't my point if you read the posts. That being said if you sit there and think no one has claimed to be religious for their personal benefit, you have a rosey view of the world.

Fair enough.

I wasnt being short. His religious faith is between him and the man :). I just dont see linking a caffiene addiction to a past drug habit (Not you, but some have). I have friends who cant get through the day without several cigarettes and cups of coffee, and havent touched a drug in their lives. Imo, Hamilton gets judged harder for his past.

I'm not saying Hamilton's religion is phony, that wasn't my point if you read the posts. That being said if you sit there and think no one has claimed to be religious for their personal benefit, you have a rosey view of the world.

I get your point, but Hamilton is benefiting financially from being a Christian. There are frauds out there, but I don't consider him one. If you do any research he's involved with multiple charities.

I get your point, but Hamilton is benefiting financially from being a Christian. There are frauds out there, but I don't consider him one. If you do any research he's involved with multiple charities.

You call my post "ridiculous" but you claim to know what's inside Hamilton's heart because he is involved in charities? Most major professional athletes are involved in charities.

As a Christian listening to Josh Hamilton speak about his faith its pretty clear that he has a real relationship with he Lord and is at a point in his life where he recognizes the Lord's working in his life. It doesnt mean he wont make mistakes. It doesnt mean that people who are not born-again will understand him and things he says related to his life and faith. What's important is that Josh understands and responds accordingly.

Does the guy have some issues? Sure. But the really neat thing about it all is he is a guy who is making strides and moving forward. Much of what has happened this year will have 1 of 2 results. It will either help him grow as an individual and make him much stronger. Or, it will hinder his growth process and he may struggle some.

If I had to take a guess, I would say if Josh leaves Texas, and he goes to the right place, he will have a bright future. I really think Buck and this team would be an ideal place for him. I could see him coming here and having a monster year.

You call my post "ridiculous" but you claim to know what's inside Hamilton's heart because he is involved in charities? Most major professional athletes are involved in charities.

I cant say his faith is real or not. Though Hamilton has been able to stay away from drugs, so whatever he believes in, it has gotten him through it. A lot of people gather strength from their beliefs. Whatever Hamiltons are, they seem to be working. I hope it continues, for his families sake, not so much for baseball. In the end, baseball is a game.

0$/0 years. People were critical of the fans booing Hamilton, but he gave up on that team and deserved it. Then there is that whole "vision blur from caffeine" thing that he claims is still bothering him. Maybe it is the caffeine or maybe he has other issues going on that he and the club aren't revealing; either way you don't pay 25$M per year to find out.

Elevated blood pressure can cause bleeding of the blood vessels in the eye which will cause vision problems that are similar to macular degeneration. The high doses of caffeine in energy drinks or from "work out pills" with ingredients that are similar to ephedra (banned a couple years ago and of course we all know about Steve Bechler) could cause it. With Hamilton's history, something like this could be the cause of Hammie's vision problems, and it could well be the cause of his slide at the end of the year.

I called it ridiculous because you said it could be a front. Hamilton isn't a preacher on TV asking for peoples money, he's a ballplayer. How has him being a Christian benefited him? Finally, you ask for proof but it doesn't work like that. Faith is something hoped for not seen. Before Hamilton had faith he was an addict who was out of control, his faith in Christ doesn't mean he won't struggle. It doesn't mean he won't fall occasionally, but he has something that works for him. It's hardly a front.

You, like the rest of us re: a given player's psychology, have no idea what you're talking about.
What do you know about my background in psychology, and my experience with addictive behavior? I of course have no specific experience with Hamilton, but from what I know, and what I see, in a general way, I think my experience is more than enough to justify an opinion that Hamilton is far too much of a risk to invest a significant amount of money and years in.

Archived