Is Cal a former Oriole or Yankee?

MachadOboutManny

1) Don't pigeonhole other peoples opinions as "this way or not being truthful."

2) Thinking back to the playoffs, I feel it's clear that it wasn't that people wanted him to "slobber" all over the O's. It's that he was slobbering all over the Yankees at the expense of the O's. I wouldn't have even gave it a moment's thought had his praise been somewhat evenly distributed. But for every compliment or praise put on the O's there was at least 5 to the Yankees. He was so worried about appearing to be a homer for the Orioles that he forgot he was supposed to be somewhat neutral and became a Yankee homer in compensation.

The only reason why I have basically shrugged it off past the initial hurt reaction is that, without even taking that in to account, he was a HORRIBLE broadcaster. Hopefully he'll never get that kind of opportunity again. Keep him in studio, don't ask him to do live analysis.

This 1000 times. I didn't want Jim Hunter in the booth, but I didn't expect Michael Kay, especially from an Orioles legend.

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But when you're Cal Ripken Jr., is that even possible? It's easy as fans to sit here and say it is, but really, in that persons shoes, is it really possible? When you're that associated with one team, anything you say is going to be interpreted hometown bias.

You're kinda arguing a different point. You're basically saying he was damned if he did, damned if he didn't. Shouldn't have been given that job (put him on the NL games instead). Which is 100% true, by the way. However, in the context that he was given that job, yes, I think you have to strive for neutrality. It might be angering at the time, but in retrospect most people (IMHO) would see that he was being paid by a national broadcast and was at least trying to be neutral. :noidea:

This 1000 times. I didn't want Jim Hunter in the booth, but I didn't expect Michael Kay, especially from an Orioles legend.

I expected....Jim Palmer. This man is a life long Hall of Fame Oriole. He makes it VERY clear during broadcasts that he is an Orioles fan at heart. He even gets excited at times. But he never calls them "we" during the broadcasts. He never freaks out cheering in the booth. Frankly, he never acts biased. Although EVERY single person watching the broadcast knows who he is pulling for.

Jim Palmer.....take some notes from him Cal!

Also, it's not like Oriole fans were super-sensitive about it. I have friends who are fans of other teams, pretty much all other teams are represented. A LOT of them were like "what the hell is Ripken doing?"

I was with many parts of the media during the games in the auxiliary press box (I DVRd the games) and it was clear how many people were shocked by what Cal was saying. This was not some homer fans getting upset because Cal wasn't all Rick Dempsey on the post game show, this was national media guys who were like, "What was up with Cal?" The Brooks comment was unnecessary and ridiculous to say by an O's legend. I think that was the beginning of his spiral into Yankee-homer. I truly think corporate Cal wanted to be liked by the large New York market. I don't think for a second he was "overcompensating" because I don't think Cal has done anything that is nt thought out clearly. He probably did a risk assessment that said he could afford to lose a few fans in Baltimore if he could pick up a lot of fans in New York.

I expected....Jim Palmer. This man is a life long Hall of Fame Oriole. He makes it VERY clear during broadcasts that he is an Orioles fan at heart. He even gets excited at times. But he never calls them "we" during the broadcasts. He never freaks out cheering in the booth. Frankly, he never acts biased. Although EVERY single person watching the broadcast knows who he is pulling for.

Jim Palmer is phenomenal as a broadcaster. Cal is not. Very few people make it sound as natural as Jim.

I don't get why people can't just accept that Cal wasn't rooting for the MFY. Do some of you folks actually believe that?

Absolutely, which is why Jim Palmer is fantastic in the booth. Everyone knows Palmer is for the Orioles, but he can be critical when it warrants. I like I do the same thing. No one questions my fandom of the Orioles, but I can be critical when it needs to be. If Cal was being critical of something I'd be fine with that, but he was slobbering all over the Yankees and crapping on O's legends like Brooks.

Jim Palmer is phenomenal as a broadcaster. Cal is not. Very few people make it sound as natural as Jim.

I don't get why people can't just accept that Cal wasn't rooting for the MFY. Do some of you folks actually believe that?

Cal was developing a new market of fans. Pure and simple. He took his Baltimore fans for granted and I think he found out that was a mistake because Baltimore fans are very sensitive about their own.

I was with many parts of the media during the games in the auxiliary press box (I DVRd the games) and it was clear how many people were shocked by what Cal was saying. This was not some homer fans getting upset because Cal wasn't all Rick Dempsey on the post game show, this was national media guys who were like, "What was up with Cal?" The Brooks comment was unnecessary and ridiculous to say by an O's legend. I think that was the beginning of his spiral into Yankee-homer. I truly think corporate Cal wanted to be liked by the large New York market. I don't think for a second he was "overcompensating" because I don't think Cal has done anything that is nt thought out clearly. He probably did a risk assessment that said he could afford to lose a few fans in Baltimore if he could pick up a lot of fans in New York.

I know what you're saying, but I dunno. His awkward delivery and general timid style gave me the impression that even if he gave it great forethought, he had nerves or something in the booth when put on the spot for analysis.

He was pretty much doomed after the Brooks comment. Once you go that far off the rails, you are going to be put under such scrutiny that even an innocent sounding blurb can be mined for subtext.

Absolutely, which is why Jim Palmer is fantastic in the booth. Everyone knows Palmer is for the Orioles, but he can be critical when it warrants. I like I do the same thing. No one questions my fandom of the Orioles, but I can be critical when it needs to be. If Cal was being critical of something I'd be fine with that, but he was slobbering all over the Yankees and crapping on O's legends like Brooks.

You're going to have to refresh my memory on how he did this. The only thing I recall is that he said Beltre was a better defensive 3B than Brooks. I don't agree with it, but let's not act like that is indefensible. You think Brooks was offended by that? What others instances were there with him "crapping on O's legends?"

Then you either didn't listen or didn't care what he said because clearly this is not what most people expected. Cal is a brand, no doubt. He's a corporate brand that's all about Cal. We all see that very clearly because Cal was more worried about being liked by more people in New York then in little old Baltimore. Cal sees him himself as a national guy, and that's fine. But don't expect us to have that Baltimore love for him any longer. He wants to be a National guy who takes on an anti-Baltimore stance when it's convenient, so be it.

It's funny you mention that, I know a few people that work at Aberden that have pretty much said that same thing. It's all about the brand and the image.

Well, let's be fair. If he wasn't rooting for the Yankees, he sure had a really funny way of showing it.

You're going to have to refresh my memory on how he did this. The only thing I recall is that he said Beltre was a better defensive 3B than Brooks. I don't agree with it, but let's not act like that is indefensible. You think Brooks was offended by that? What others instances were there with him "crapping on O's legends?"

I think some people were put off with the comment immediately after he said it, "Sorry Brooks." I didn't take it as a shot, if some people do then that's their view point, all I'm saying is I didn't.

I don't care if he wants to compare Beltre to Brooks or if he wants to call Beltre the best of his generation, but you don't say "Sorry, Brooksie, but Beltre is the best ever." First off, the numbers say Cal's on drugs and second off, an Orioles legend just doesn't have to go there on national TV. Cal can have any opinion he wants, but there are certain things that are just accepted as sacred in Baltimore and Brooks being a the best defensive third baseman of all-time is one of them. That is "crapping on an O's legend" in my book. It was unnecessary and I don't believe for a second that Cal said that off the cuff. I've heard things from people who know Cal, and Cal doesn't say things off the cuff or without thought. He knew how that would play in Baltimore and he didn't care.

Archived