Baseball 101

Satyr3206

That might be Basball 101.1, but not Baseball 101. Show me another MLB team that would have asked their #3 hitter to sacrifice bunt in that situation, against a nasty pitcher like Sabathia, in the playoffs, when he hadn't sac bunted since 2011?

Derek Jeter and his 216 hits had no problem laying down a sac bunt.... and if AJ cant sac bunt (I dont care if he hasnt done it for 5 yrs) then SMH.....

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As opposed to having the next guy swing for the fences and strike out...yeah, I'll agree with this.

Yea I mean, it's fine if Jones wants to go for it on the first fastball he gets over the plate, which he almost did. But after it would of been nice if he tried to shorten up his swing and at least put the ball in play.

Also, hasn't JJ somewhat struggled though this year when it hasn't been a save situation, not saying it was the wrong move, just curious?

Derek Jeter and his 216 hits had no problem laying down a sac bunt.... and if AJ cant sac bunt (I dont care if he hasnt done it for 5 yrs) then SMH.....

The batter after Jones popped up. So even if he had bunted successfully they would not have scored. Then this thread would be talking about how stupid it was to have your best hitter bunt with the go-ahead run at 2nd base.

Yea I mean, it's fine if Jones wants to go for it on the first fastball he gets over the plate, which he almost did. But after it would of been nice if he tried to shorten up his swing and at least put the ball in play.

Also, hasn't JJ somewhat struggled though this year when it hasn't been a save situation, not saying it was the wrong move, just curious?

He's pitched in similar situations all year, given all the long extra-inning games the O's have played.

The batter after Jones popped up. So even if he had bunted successfully they would not have scored. Then this thread would be talking about how stupid it was to have your best hitter bunt with the go-ahead run at 2nd base.

You cant use what happened after Jones struck out and the runner was still at 2nd and apply it to the same situation if Jones would have moved him to 3rd.... it doesnt work that way....

You cant use what happened after Jones struck out and the runner was still at 2nd and apply it to the same situation if Jones would have moved him to 3rd.... it doesnt work that way....

Really? Sabathia got Wieters to pop up. If there was a runner on third and one out he would have tried to get him to pop up or strike out. In a lot of situations I would agree with you but not last night.

Really? Sabathia got Wieters to pop up. If there was a runner on third and one out he would have tried to get him to pop up or strike out. In a lot of situations I would agree with you but not last night.

I am just saying you cant take the same result and apply it to a diff situation.... Weiters approach may have been diff... chances are the infield would have been drawn in etc....runner at 3rd one out is much diff then runner at 2nd one out in a tie game in the 8th inning..

Yes, let us not deal with "is" but instead what should be. The O's would be far better off if Jones, instead of taking normal BP and tuning his swing, had spent 15 minutes a night bunting so as to be prepared for the one (controversial, definitely non-automatic) opportunity like this to come up every two years.

And yes 100% I believe it was a no brainer for Jones to bunt! Only slightly nudge the chances of scoring????? As a man of numbers I guess you would have to back that statement up Dungo....

In an average situation with a runner on 2nd and no outs you'll score 1.17 runs that inning. With a runner on third and one out you'll score 0.98. By bunting the man over you've decreased your expected runs in the innings. Thems the numbers.

Yes, let us not deal with "is" but instead what should be. The O's would be far better off if Jones, instead of taking normal BP and tuning his swing, had spent 15 minutes a night bunting so as to be prepared for the one (controversial, definitely non-automatic) opportunity like this to come up every two years.

Again if a prof hitter making millions of dollars needs to take 15 minutes a day to practices sac bunting then SMH that he cant lay down a bunt and maybe he should spend 15 more minutes at the ball park!

Archived