Who is Mr. Oriole to you?

Tony-OH

Who is Mr. Oriole?  

150 members have voted

1. 1. Who is Mr. Oriole?

This poll is closed to new votes

Our demographics around her probably leans us heavily towards people who never saw Brooks Robinson play live. However, with all the things going on with Cal going out of his way to dismiss Brook Robinson as the best defensive third baseman of all time and how he seems to be also going out of his way to "not look like a homer" by slanting his comments towards the Yankees, who do you think is now Mr. Oriole?

I would imagine Cal would be a heavy favorite around here in the past, so now I'm wondering whether Cal's comments over the last few days has affected his standing among Orioles fans.

So if you could choose one ambassador for the Baltimore Orioles, who would it be? Who is Mr. Oriole to you?

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brooks, no question. It's probably a function of when I grew up, and the opinions passed to me by my parents. I was told in no uncertain terms that Brooksie was the best 3rd baseman to ever play the game. Period. It was later in life that I learned more about Brooks the man, and I cemented my opinion that he was not only the best 3rd baseman, but also probably the best man to ever wear an Orioles uniform. Nothing, Including the ill timed comments of another of my heroes can change that.

I literally couldn't listen to the game last night. I watched with the sound off. Thank goodness I have tickets to tonight's game. I don't know what is behind this crap, whether it's bitterness towards Angelos or what. Since neither Brooks nor Cal has really been around the franchise that much over the last 10 years, I'd go with Palmer.

Brooks, no question. It's probably a function of when I grew up, and the opinions passed to me by my parents. I was told in no uncertain terms that Brooksie was the best 3rd baseman to ever play the game. Period. It was later in life that I learned more about Brooks the man, and I cemented my opinion that he was not only the best 3rd baseman, but also probably the best man to ever wear an Orioles uniform. Nothing, Including the ill timed comments of another of my heroes can change that.

Brooks came down from a high league of human beings. To teach us how we all should be. They always said, "He doesn't know he is Brooks Robinson."

brooks, no question. It's probably a function of when i grew up, and the opinions passed to me by my parents. I was told in no uncertain terms that brooksie was the best 3rd baseman to ever play the game. Period. It was later in life that i learned more about brooks the man, and i cemented my opinion that he was not only the best 3rd baseman, but also probably the best man to ever wear an orioles uniform. Nothing, including the ill timed comments of another of my heroes can change that.

word..

Brooks came down from a high league of human beings. To teach us how we all should be. They always said, "He doesn't know he is Brooks Robinson."

That and what MTOsFan said. My feelings have nothing to do with how Cal has handled his TV gig. A Sun article about Brooks night used an email I'd sent to the reporter that said "...because he [brooks] was the first great Oriole and affection is the core feeling he inspires in us. Jim, Earl, Eddie, and Frank we admire and respect immensely, but there is a certain aloofness that sets them apart from us. Cal we worship because of the other-worldliness of The Streak. Brooks has always been closer to us and our hearts.

Archived