Who is Mr. Oriole to you?

Tony-OH

Who is Mr. Oriole?  

150 members have voted

1. 1. Who is Mr. Oriole?

This poll is closed to new votes

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

I think Palmer has a pretty good case, once you throw in his broadcasting career.    But in the public eye he’s still no. 3 at best.   

AJ is probably “Mr. 21st Century Oriole.”    Until someone leads us to a ring.   

That’s the part about losing AJ that hasn’t hit us yet. You’d see him repping the O’s in a lot of baseball commercials. He’s one of the most recognizable players in the game. 

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

That’s the part about losing AJ that hasn’t hit us yet. You’d see him repping the O’s in a lot of baseball commercials. He’s one of the most recognizable players in the game. 

Kind of like with Buck.  We probably don't appreciate enough the guys who embrace an old rustbelt city and a team that's been more down than up the last 35 years.  Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Cincy... you get guys who sign there and not want to go, that's who you put statues up for.

10 hours ago, weams said:

Zombie Athletic Dude:

"You Don't trade for Dana Eveland."

Tyler Henson left pro ball without having appeared in the majors, and Jarret Martin had a 4.89 ERA in AA at 28 last year after a mostly unsuccessful tour of a couple indy leagues.  But, yea, it's the principle of the thing.  

2 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Tyler Henson left pro ball without having appeared in the majors, and Jarret Martin had a 4.89 ERA in AA at 28 last year after a mostly unsuccessful tour of a couple indy leagues.  But, yea, it's the principle of the thing.  

No, it's a process thing.

You don't give up assets for things that you don't have to.  Dana Eveland was the very definition of a fungible asset.  Him, or an equivalent piece, was assuredly going to be available without surrendering players.

The fact that the players the Orioles' surrendered didn't amount to anything isn't relevant. 

Count me in for another Brooks vote.  I mean... aside from being a HOFer, he's ALWAYS seemed like the world's most likable person.  

And then Jim Palmer and Frank Robinson.  I include Frank even with his ties to other teams, because he was my hero growing up - him and Hank Aaron.  I chose well back then.     

14 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

No, it's a process thing.

You don't give up assets for things that you don't have to.  Dana Eveland was the very definition of a fungible asset.  Him, or an equivalent piece, was assuredly going to be available without surrendering players.

The fact that the players the Orioles' surrendered didn't amount to anything isn't relevant. 

I get that.  But not all the fuss with SportsGuy quitting/getting banned or whatever, and the 112 pages of hand-wringing about giving up one of 53 guys in the org who grade out as a 40-45s for a fungible MLBer.

6 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I get that.  But not all the fuss with SportsGuy quitting/getting banned or whatever, and the 112 pages of hand-wringing about giving up one of 53 guys in the org who grade out as a 40-45s for a fungible MLBer.

It bothers me when management uses what I perceive as a poor process. 

22 hours ago, Frobby said:

Mine are:

1.A. Frank Robinson 

1. B.  Eddie Murray

3.  Mike Mussina (while he was here)

4.  Brooks Robinson

5.   Jim Palmer

All, as you say, as players.    

,Mine evolved with my fandom.

Willy Miranda(don't ask I was ?

Bob Boyd

Gus Triandos

Brooks

Frank

Brooks

Manny

Brooks forever

On 1/17/2019 at 1:47 PM, osfan83 said:

Brooks by a mile.

Then:

Palmer

Cal

Eddie

and how about Mora?

o

I was at this game (my late mother's birthday.)

September 28th, 2007: ) The Yankees led us 9-6 going into the bottom of the 9th. They brought in Mariano Rivera in. Game over, right ??? Wrong !!!

We loaded the bases with 2 outs. It looked like curtains, except ......... Jay Payton drilled a bases-clearing triple into the gap in right-centerfield to tie the game !!! ) :eek:

A lot of Yankee fans that were sitting near me were angrily screaming "choke" at their beloved team. ) xD

In the top of the 10th the Yanks hit a lead-off double, and it looked like our storybook ending would go down in flames. Not on this night. We managed to get out of the inning without being scored upon.

In the bottom of the 10th, we again had the bases loaded and 2 outs. On the first pitch Melvin Mora laid down a bunt, taking the Yankees by surprise. Tike Redman raced home, and the Orioles all mobbed each other on the field.

With that win, the Orioles eliminated the Yankees from the A.L. East division title. They still got the wild-card ...... but good enough. ) ;)

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BAL/BAL200709280.shtml

o

22 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

I was at this game (my late mother's birthday.)

September 28th, 2007: ) The Yankees led us 9-6 going into the bottom of the 9th. They brought in Mariano Rivera in. Game over, right ??? Wrong !!!

We loaded the bases with 2 outs. It looked like curtains, except ......... Jay Payton drilled a bases-clearing triple into the gap in right-centerfield to tie the game !!! ) :eek:

A lot of Yankee fans that were sitting near me were angrily screaming "choke" at their beloved team. ) xD

In the top of the 10th the Yanks hit a lead-off double, and it looked like our storybook ending would go down in flames. Not on this night. We managed to get out of the inning without being scored upon.

In the bottom of the 10th, we again had the bases loaded and 2 outs. On the first pitch Melvin Mora laid down a bunt, taking the Yankees by surprise. Tike Redman raced home, and the Orioles all mobbed each other on the field.

With that win, the Orioles eliminated the Yankees from the A.L. East division title. They still got the wild-card ...... but good enough. ) ;)

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BAL/BAL200709280.shtml

o

I didn’t realize Thorne had been our PBP guy for that long now.

Archived