Who is Mr. Oriole to you?

Tony-OH

Who is Mr. Oriole?  

150 members have voted

1. 1. Who is Mr. Oriole?

This poll is closed to new votes

Brooks.

Granted, Cal is a close second, he has done a bunch for the O's and deserves his place among the elite contributors to our overall baseball legacy. That said, I saw them each play and have witnessed how they handle themselves off the field. It comes to this for me, as a number of media described Cal over the years they said, "He is LIKE a throwback from the golden age of baseball" well Brooks IS the throwback - completely selfless, always put his team first and talked about them first and loves the game more than modern players can wrap their head around.

-Don

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I admire both of them a lot, but Brooks has always seemed a bit more friendly and natural, whereas Cal is slightly image-conscious and aloof. Just a little, mind you. My son idolized Cal, and he was a great role model for kids.

What are you running for office? ;) The question was to pick one for Mr. Oriole. It doesn't mean you don't like the other, it just means you can only pick one guy to represent the Orioles, who would it be?

Cal's opinion aside, which he was fully entitled to give, I don't think there's a right or wrong answer here. Both men have done a lot for the City of Baltimore, the fans of the Orioles, and for the game of baseball, in very similar ways, and in different ways. Brooks, the man, is truly a gift from heaven. He's warm, cordial, friendly, and I don't doubt has always been that way. Cal grew up around baseball, understood the game inside and out, and has been an ambassador for the game for almost his whole life, and probably will be the rest of it. What one man might not have done enough of, the other man filled it out. I didn't see Brooks play, so obviously I can't speak for that. But, I saw Cal Ripken, Jr. play, and I've met Brooks Robinson more times than I can count, and between the two, I don't think there's a right or wrong answer to this question, because both men are what baseball was, is, and should be about. And if your opinion has been swayed made by one comment then well, I'm sorry.

It's still Cal for me by default, as I never saw Brooks play, and never had that connection. That said, I agree with Can_of_corn that Cal isn't very personable. They should have had Billy in the box instead; at least he's cut his teeth over on MLBN and would do a good job. I'm sure if Cal wants to get into broadcasting, he'll be fine eventually, but the nationally broadcast MLB postseason is not where you want to be learning the trade.

What is special about Brooks Robinson? Everything. Every single person that has met him was blown away how kind and giving the man is. I have never heard a bad word. Down to earth, kind, giving. He is definition of a role model. Cal has done a lot for Baltimore, but Brooks to me (even not growing up watching him play) will always be Mr. Oriole and it isn't even close in my book.

I literally couldn't listen to the game last night. I watched with the sound off. Thank goodness I have tickets to tonight's game. I don't know what is behind this crap, whether it's bitterness towards Angelos or what. Since neither Brooks nor Cal has really been around the franchise that much over the last 10 years, I'd go with Palmer.

Yep, Jim Palmer is Mr. Oriole to me.

Guest rochester

I always thought Brooks was it? Brooks bleeds orange and black - Cal does but it's not even close. I understand the unbiased thing but if he is being biased to show he is unbiased (make sense?) then he still isn't doing his job. After his dad was unceremoniously canned I believe things were never the same - and I can't say I would feel any differently.

I saw both of them play a lot. I confess here for the first time that, while having tremendous respect for Cal and the incredible Streak, I've always felt obligated to be in awe of him; I've felt that pressure from other fans and from the media's portrayal of him. In the case of Brooks, I feel my reverence and affection for him as both a player and moral being are freely given by my heart.

Yep, Jim Palmer is Mr. Oriole to me.

I don't know why I didn't think of that. He is a part of each World Championship, he still hangs out to do some commentary and his relationship with Earl and so many former Orioles speak volumes to me. Still, based on the choices in this poll, Brooks is an easy choice. And push comes to shove, I could go Brooks, Palmer, Cal and Frank Robinson and Eddie Murray as rounding the Top Five Mr. O's list.

-Don

Archived